No longer able to see my PC on my home network

mayday1996

No longer able to see my PC on my home network
I have the following wireless home network: Desktop running XP wired to
Netgear router, Laptop running Vista connected wirelessly. I was able to file
share without any problems.

My Speedstream modem died and had to get a replacement from Windstream.
After hooking this up, I can no longer see the desktop on the network when
using the laptop. (However, from the desktop I have no problem getting to my
files on the laptop). Also, my Xbox and another laptop my wife sometimes uses
for work are showing, so I don't think it's a network issue.

I can ping the desktop, but when I entered my desktops local ip address in
the Run box I received a message saying it could not connect. I clicked the
'Diagnose problem' button and it said it could find the other computer but
said something about not being able to connect to it. It said it may be due
to the firewall on the desktop.

I double checked and both firewalls (Windows and One Care) are off on both
computers. Also, the modem firewall is off. Any suggestions?
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: No longer able to see my PC on my home network
Assuming all firewall off, what do you receive when using net view \\desktopipaddress?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"mayday1996" <mayday1996@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:561CECD2-2FD9-4ABD-8BBD-EE6D49997620@microsoft.com...
[...]

Chuck [MVP]

Re: No longer able to see my PC on my home network
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 06:56:02 -0700, mayday1996
<mayday1996@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have the following wireless home network: Desktop running XP wired to
>Netgear router, Laptop running Vista connected wirelessly. I was able to file
>share without any problems.
>
>My Speedstream modem died and had to get a replacement from Windstream.
>After hooking this up, I can no longer see the desktop on the network when
>using the laptop. (However, from the desktop I have no problem getting to my
>files on the laptop). Also, my Xbox and another laptop my wife sometimes uses
>for work are showing, so I don't think it's a network issue.
>
>I can ping the desktop, but when I entered my desktops local ip address in
>the Run box I received a message saying it could not connect. I clicked the
>'Diagnose problem' button and it said it could find the other computer but
>said something about not being able to connect to it. It said it may be due
>to the firewall on the desktop.
>
>I double checked and both firewalls (Windows and One Care) are off on both
>computers. Also, the modem firewall is off. Any suggestions?

Try to diagnose the problem - look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig
/all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer.
Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
(download browstat!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
mayday1996

Re: No longer able to see my PC on my home network
On the desktop, when I type in the desktopip it shows the folders I have set
up for sharing on the desktop. I can type the ipaddress for my laptop and it
shows the folders I have set up for sharing on it. When I type just net
view, it shows the name of the laptop.

From the laptop, when I type in the laptopip it shows the folders I'm
sharing. However, when I type in just net view or net view with the
desktopip, I get error 53.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Assuming all firewall off, what do you receive when using net view \\desktopipaddress?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "mayday1996" <mayday1996@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:561CECD2-2FD9-4ABD-8BBD-EE6D49997620@microsoft.com...
> I have the following wireless home network: Desktop running XP wired to
> Netgear router, Laptop running Vista connected wirelessly. I was able to file
> share without any problems.
>
> My Speedstream modem died and had to get a replacement from Windstream.
> After hooking this up, I can no longer see the desktop on the network when
> using the laptop. (However, from the desktop I have no problem getting to my
> files on the laptop). Also, my Xbox and another laptop my wife sometimes uses
> for work are showing, so I don't think it's a network issue.
>
> I can ping the desktop, but when I entered my desktops local ip address in
> the Run box I received a message saying it could not connect. I clicked the
> 'Diagnose problem' button and it said it could find the other computer but
> said something about not being able to connect to it. It said it may be due
> to the firewall on the desktop.
>
> I double checked and both firewalls (Windows and One Care) are off on both
> computers. Also, the modem firewall is off. Any suggestions?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: No longer able to see my PC on my home network
System error 53 is name resolution issue or firewall issue. Since you can do net view IP, I assume it is name resolution issue. This troubleshooting may help,

System ErrorsVPN Case Study - Can ping VPN server but receive System error 53 using net use. Case Study - System Error 53 - The network path was not found. ...
www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"mayday1996" <mayday1996@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message newsF44642C-D417-43E0-B753-515BCE074BBD@microsoft.com...
On the desktop, when I type in the desktopip it shows the folders I have set
up for sharing on the desktop. I can type the ipaddress for my laptop and it
shows the folders I have set up for sharing on it. When I type just net
view, it shows the name of the laptop.

From the laptop, when I type in the laptopip it shows the folders I'm
sharing. However, when I type in just net view or net view with the
desktopip, I get error 53.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Assuming all firewall off, what do you receive when using net view \\desktopipaddress?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "mayday1996" <mayday1996@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:561CECD2-2FD9-4ABD-8BBD-EE6D49997620@microsoft.com...
> I have the following wireless home network: Desktop running XP wired to
> Netgear router, Laptop running Vista connected wirelessly. I was able to file
> share without any problems.
>
> My Speedstream modem died and had to get a replacement from Windstream.
> After hooking this up, I can no longer see the desktop on the network when
> using the laptop. (However, from the desktop I have no problem getting to my
> files on the laptop). Also, my Xbox and another laptop my wife sometimes uses
> for work are showing, so I don't think it's a network issue.
>
> I can ping the desktop, but when I entered my desktops local ip address in
> the Run box I received a message saying it could not connect. I clicked the
> 'Diagnose problem' button and it said it could find the other computer but
> said something about not being able to connect to it. It said it may be due
> to the firewall on the desktop.
>
> I double checked and both firewalls (Windows and One Care) are off on both
> computers. Also, the modem firewall is off. Any suggestions?

mayday1996

Re: No longer able to see my PC on my home network
When I ran browstat on the desktop, I received the following. According to
your articles the garbled name and system 53 error could be due to a name
resolution problem. Does this look like what it could be to you?

Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{FB442946-6BFD-439E-B687-3A61F7804434}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: ? ???
Could not connect to registry, error = 53 Unable to determine build
of browser master: 53
Unable to determine server information for browser master: 123
1 backup servers retrieved from master ? ???
\\MAYDAY1996
Unable to retrieve server list from ? ??? : 2351

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 06:56:02 -0700, mayday1996
> <mayday1996@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have the following wireless home network: Desktop running XP wired to
> >Netgear router, Laptop running Vista connected wirelessly. I was able to file
> >share without any problems.
> >
> >My Speedstream modem died and had to get a replacement from Windstream.
> >After hooking this up, I can no longer see the desktop on the network when
> >using the laptop. (However, from the desktop I have no problem getting to my
> >files on the laptop). Also, my Xbox and another laptop my wife sometimes uses
> >for work are showing, so I don't think it's a network issue.
> >
> >I can ping the desktop, but when I entered my desktops local ip address in
> >the Run box I received a message saying it could not connect. I clicked the
> >'Diagnose problem' button and it said it could find the other computer but
> >said something about not being able to connect to it. It said it may be due
> >to the firewall on the desktop.
> >
> >I double checked and both firewalls (Windows and One Care) are off on both
> >computers. Also, the modem firewall is off. Any suggestions?

> Try to diagnose the problem - look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig
> /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer.
> Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
> (download browstat!):
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
>
> --
> Cheers,
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck [MVP]

Re: No longer able to see my PC on my home network
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 05:26:02 -0700, mayday1996
<mayday1996@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 06:56:02 -0700, mayday1996
>> <mayday1996@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have the following wireless home network: Desktop running XP wired to
>> >Netgear router, Laptop running Vista connected wirelessly. I was able to file
>> >share without any problems.
>> >
>> >My Speedstream modem died and had to get a replacement from Windstream.
>> >After hooking this up, I can no longer see the desktop on the network when
>> >using the laptop. (However, from the desktop I have no problem getting to my
>> >files on the laptop). Also, my Xbox and another laptop my wife sometimes uses
>> >for work are showing, so I don't think it's a network issue.
>> >
>> >I can ping the desktop, but when I entered my desktops local ip address in
>> >the Run box I received a message saying it could not connect. I clicked the
>> >'Diagnose problem' button and it said it could find the other computer but
>> >said something about not being able to connect to it. It said it may be due
>> >to the firewall on the desktop.
>> >
>> >I double checked and both firewalls (Windows and One Care) are off on both
>> >computers. Also, the modem firewall is off. Any suggestions?

>> Try to diagnose the problem - look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig
>> /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer.
>> Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
>> (download browstat!):
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp

>When I ran browstat on the desktop, I received the following. According to
>your articles the garbled name and system 53 error could be due to a name
>resolution problem. Does this look like what it could be to you?
>
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport
>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{FB442946-6BFD-439E-B687-3A61F7804434}
> Browsing is active on domain.
> Master browser name is: ? ???
>Could not connect to registry, error = 53 Unable to determine build
>of browser master: 53
> Unable to determine server information for browser master: 123
> 1 backup servers retrieved from master ? ???
> \\MAYDAY1996
> Unable to retrieve server list from ? ??? : 2351

Error 53:
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/mysterious-error-53-aka-name-not-found.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...not-found.html

A name resolution issue could be caused by inconsistent NetBT settings, or by a
misconfigured or overlooked personal firewall.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

Also, LSP / Winsock corruption.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-layer-in.html

Here are the two error codes.

C:\>net helpmsg 123
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

C:\>net helpmsg 2351
This computer name is invalid.
EXPLANATION
The specified computer name is invalid.
ACTION
Contact technical support.

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
mayday1996

Re: No longer able to see my PC on my home network
Thanks for your help. I looked at these and tried some of them and I still
can't get it working. I did notice on my laptop when I look at the Network
Map my desktop is showing up but when I look at Network it is not showing up.
I'll just have to keep looking on this I guess. I just think it's weird
that it worked without any problem before.

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 05:26:02 -0700, mayday1996
> <mayday1996@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> >> Try to diagnose the problem - look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig
> >> /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer.
> >> Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
> >> (download browstat!):
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp

> >When I ran browstat on the desktop, I received the following. According to
> >your articles the garbled name and system 53 error could be due to a name
> >resolution problem. Does this look like what it could be to you?
> >
> >Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport
> >\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{FB442946-6BFD-439E-B687-3A61F7804434}
> > Browsing is active on domain.
> > Master browser name is: ? ???
> >Could not connect to registry, error = 53 Unable to determine build
> >of browser master: 53
> > Unable to determine server information for browser master: 123
> > 1 backup servers retrieved from master ? ???
> > \\MAYDAY1996
> > Unable to retrieve server list from ? ??? : 2351

> Error 53:
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/mysterious-error-53-aka-name-not-found.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...not-found.html
>
> A name resolution issue could be caused by inconsistent NetBT settings, or by a
> misconfigured or overlooked personal firewall.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
>
> Also, LSP / Winsock corruption.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-layer-in.html
>
> Here are the two error codes.
>
> C:\>net helpmsg 123
> The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
>
> C:\>net helpmsg 2351
> This computer name is invalid.
> EXPLANATION
> The specified computer name is invalid.
> ACTION
> Contact technical support.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck [MVP]

Re: No longer able to see my PC on my home network
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 15:30:04 -0700, mayday1996
<mayday1996@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 05:26:02 -0700, mayday1996
>> <mayday1996@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>> >When I ran browstat on the desktop, I received the following. According to
>> >your articles the garbled name and system 53 error could be due to a name
>> >resolution problem. Does this look like what it could be to you?
>> >
>> >Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport
>> >\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{FB442946-6BFD-439E-B687-3A61F7804434}
>> > Browsing is active on domain.
>> > Master browser name is: ? ???
>> >Could not connect to registry, error = 53 Unable to determine build
>> >of browser master: 53
>> > Unable to determine server information for browser master: 123
>> > 1 backup servers retrieved from master ? ???
>> > \\MAYDAY1996
>> > Unable to retrieve server list from ? ??? : 2351

>> Error 53:
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/mysterious-error-53-aka-name-not-found.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...not-found.html
>>
>> A name resolution issue could be caused by inconsistent NetBT settings, or by a
>> misconfigured or overlooked personal firewall.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
>>
>> Also, LSP / Winsock corruption.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-layer-in.html
>>
>> Here are the two error codes.
>>
>> C:\>net helpmsg 123
>> The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
>>
>> C:\>net helpmsg 2351
>> This computer name is invalid.
>> EXPLANATION
>> The specified computer name is invalid.
>> ACTION
>> Contact technical support.

>Thanks for your help. I looked at these and tried some of them and I still
>can't get it working. I did notice on my laptop when I look at the Network
>Map my desktop is showing up but when I look at Network it is not showing up.
> I'll just have to keep looking on this I guess. I just think it's weird
>that it worked without any problem before.

Have you installed (or removed) any software recently? Any problems with
unwanted software (spyware, virus)?

LSP / Winsock problems you have to be very persistent in diagnostics use.

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
mayday1996

Re: No longer able to see my PC on my home network
The only change running the setup software for the new modem. And I don't
know for sure that this was when the connection stopped working...just that
it worked before the new modem and didn't after it.

I had been thinking about upgrading my PC from XP to Vista. Not that this
would guarantee a fix, but do you think it would make it easier to determine
where the problem lies?