connect to a network

xwabbit

connect to a network
i'm running vista home premium and had a first run-in with a network
connection issue. i'm connected to this network at work, which is available
both wirelessly and with a cable - i have the correct user id/password to
connect to this network, but for some reason, everytime i put in the
id/password, windows vista puts the computer name in front of the id (hence
causing the login to not work).

how do you go around this?

scenario (windows dialog prompting network id/password):
i enter
id
password

click ok and sees an error stating login failed (not due to incorrect
id/password)

sees in the dialog window that windows vista has prefixed the id i have just
entered to be
computer name\id

any help/comments appreciated.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: connect to a network
You may want to cerate the same username with the same password on both computers.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"xwabbit" <xwabbit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:232DCB37-7D94-414D-A82B-A8978033DD36@microsoft.com...
[...]

i'm beginning to lean towards the conclusion that perhaps Home Premium
doesn't support Group/Domain join ... maybe i need to upgrade to Utimate?

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> You may want to cerate the same username with the same password on both computers.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "xwabbit" <xwabbit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:232DCB37-7D94-414D-A82B-A8978033DD36@microsoft.com...
> i'm running vista home premium and had a first run-in with a network
> connection issue. i'm connected to this network at work, which is available
> both wirelessly and with a cable - i have the correct user id/password to
> connect to this network, but for some reason, everytime i put in the
> id/password, windows vista puts the computer name in front of the id (hence
> causing the login to not work).
>
> how do you go around this?
>
> scenario (windows dialog prompting network id/password):
> i enter
> id
> password
>
> click ok and sees an error stating login failed (not due to incorrect
> id/password)
>
> sees in the dialog window that windows vista has prefixed the id i have just
> entered to be
> computer name\id
>
> any help/comments appreciated

Malke

Re: connect to a network
xwabbit wrote:
> i'm beginning to lean towards the conclusion that perhaps Home Premium
> doesn't support Group/Domain join ... maybe i need to upgrade to Utimate?

It depends on what you mean by "Group/Domain join" since Workgroups and
domains are not the same thing at all. Vista Home Premium cannot join a
domain although it can use domain resources. The following link
discusses this for Windows XP Home but it is applicable to Vista Home:

Windows XP Home Accessing data on a Domain Server -
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxphdoms.html

If you really want to permanently join the domain, you will need to
upgrade to either Vista Business or Ultimate. You need to think about
what you want to do - if this machine doesn't use domain resources
often, then there's no reason to upgrade unless you can't stand the fact
that usernames/passwords won't be cached.

In any case, a matching user account and password will need to be
created on the server.

Vista Home doesn't have any problems sharing files/folders on a Local
Area Network in a Workgroup (peer-to-peer networking).

Perhaps if you are a bit more descriptive about your network and what
you need to do we'll be able to give you more focused help.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
xwabbit

Re: connect to a network
hey Malke:

thanks so much for the detailed feedback!

i attempted to log in to a domain (for file sharing) at work, which has a
\\"server name", with an roaming ID and password. when prompted for the
id/password, i'd input it correctly, but it comes back with an error saying
login failed, and i see that Windows Vista has put the prefix of the computer
name (which is the laptop i'm using to connect to the domain to), in front of
the user id.

in other words, Vista does this to my login dialog (even when it's not what
i put in):
\\"computer name"\"server name" - which is wrong.
i'd delete it to attempt login again, but it keeps on putting the computer
name in front of the id i'm trying to use.

i hope i've stated clearly the problem i'm experiencing.

"Malke" wrote:

> xwabbit wrote:
> > i'm beginning to lean towards the conclusion that perhaps Home Premium
> > doesn't support Group/Domain join ... maybe i need to upgrade to Utimate?

> It depends on what you mean by "Group/Domain join" since Workgroups and
> domains are not the same thing at all. Vista Home Premium cannot join a
> domain although it can use domain resources. The following link
> discusses this for Windows XP Home but it is applicable to Vista Home:
>
> Windows XP Home Accessing data on a Domain Server -
> http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxphdoms.html
>
> If you really want to permanently join the domain, you will need to
> upgrade to either Vista Business or Ultimate. You need to think about
> what you want to do - if this machine doesn't use domain resources
> often, then there's no reason to upgrade unless you can't stand the fact
> that usernames/passwords won't be cached.
>
> In any case, a matching user account and password will need to be
> created on the server.
>
> Vista Home doesn't have any problems sharing files/folders on a Local
> Area Network in a Workgroup (peer-to-peer networking).
>
> Perhaps if you are a bit more descriptive about your network and what
> you need to do we'll be able to give you more focused help.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Re: connect to a network
xwabbit wrote:
> hey Malke:
>
> thanks so much for the detailed feedback!
>
> i attempted to log in to a domain (for file sharing) at work, which has a
> \\"server name", with an roaming ID and password. when prompted for the
> id/password, i'd input it correctly, but it comes back with an error saying
> login failed, and i see that Windows Vista has put the prefix of the computer
> name (which is the laptop i'm using to connect to the domain to), in front of
> the user id.
>
> in other words, Vista does this to my login dialog (even when it's not what
> i put in):
> \\"computer name"\"server name" - which is wrong.
> i'd delete it to attempt login again, but it keeps on putting the computer
> name in front of the id i'm trying to use.

Thanks for clarifying what you want to do. I have a vague memory of
someone writing about a similar problem in one of the Vista newsgroups
but I'm afraid it is *very* vague and useless. I've Googled around this
morning for you, trying to be creative in my search terms, and I'm sorry
to report that I haven't found an answer. I'm sure I'm just not asking
the right question for Google to help me.

I suppose you've tried inputting \\domain-name\username?

You might want to post your question in one of the server groups to see
if one of those gurus has run across this. Otherwise, if you need to use
this machine on the domain regularly, it would be best to upgrade it. I
believe you can only upgrade Home Premium to Ultimate.

I'm so sorry that I was unable to help you.

Malke