File Sharing Between A Windows Vista Desktop And A Windows XPs2 La

IM STUCK

File Sharing Between A Windows Vista Desktop And A Windows XPs2 La
I have recenlty bought a windows vista desktop and want to use the laptop for
storing files etc. when i tried connecting them i created a new network
connection and named them both (workgroup) although when i tried to detect my
laptop on the desktop-(vista) it was unable to locate it, but on the
laptop-(xps2) i was able to explore the desktop and copy,move and delete
files there even at the root of the HDD. All that I want to do is only access
the sharing folder so that when i want to transfer a file all i have to do is
place it into the folder and copy it this goes for both computer's if anyone
can help me i would be extremely gratefull as i am at breaking point lol.
--
HELP ME IM STUCK
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: File Sharing Between A Windows Vista Desktop And A Windows XPs2 La
I would check firewall first. Or this link may help.

Vista cannot access othersVista can't access other computers Can't browser another XP computer Situation: The client can't browse other workgroup computer (A) after install Verizon ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaaccess1.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"IM STUCK" <IMSTUCK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FC6A8739-9E01-41B0-8F4A-D4B5C804F169@microsoft.com...
I have recenlty bought a windows vista desktop and want to use the laptop for
storing files etc. when i tried connecting them i created a new network
connection and named them both (workgroup) although when i tried to detect my
laptop on the desktop-(vista) it was unable to locate it, but on the
laptop-(xps2) i was able to explore the desktop and copy,move and delete
files there even at the root of the HDD. All that I want to do is only access
the sharing folder so that when i want to transfer a file all i have to do is
place it into the folder and copy it this goes for both computer's if anyone
can help me i would be extremely gratefull as i am at breaking point lol.
--
HELP ME IM STUCK
Mick Murphy

RE: File Sharing Between A Windows Vista Desktop And A Windows XPs2 La

Have a read of the above link.

Also, in Vista Network and Sharing:
1 network discovery:ON
2 file sharing:ON
3 public folder sharing:ON (that is the old XP shared docs folder)
4 printer sharing:ON
5 password protected:OFF
6 network set to:PRIVATE

"IM STUCK" wrote:

> I have recenlty bought a windows vista desktop and want to use the laptop for
> storing files etc. when i tried connecting them i created a new network
> connection and named them both (workgroup) although when i tried to detect my
> laptop on the desktop-(vista) it was unable to locate it, but on the
> laptop-(xps2) i was able to explore the desktop and copy,move and delete
> files there even at the root of the HDD. All that I want to do is only access
> the sharing folder so that when i want to transfer a file all i have to do is
> place it into the folder and copy it this goes for both computer's if anyone
> can help me i would be extremely gratefull as i am at breaking point lol.
> --
> HELP ME IM STUCK

IM STUCK

RE: File Sharing Between A Windows Vista Desktop And A Windows XPs2 La
thankyou for your replies it was very helpful and I am no able to transfer
files between them thankyou.
--
HELP ME IM STUCK