Vista laptop wont LAN to XP desktop

MajBach

Vista laptop wont LAN to XP desktop
Hi all! I just bought an HP laptop with Vista premium and I cannot get
it to connect to my desktop running WinXP via an ethernet cable. The
laptop wont even recognize the ethernet cable is plugged in and my
desktop says 'cable unplugged'. Interesting thing is, when I fire up
my old Dell laptop running XP, the desktop instantly says 'connected
at 100 MBps' and I can transfer files and get on the net just fine. I
checked the ethernet port on the laptop is working by plugging an
ethernet cable (the same one i used for the LAN) directly into my DSL
modem and the laptop connected to the internet fine so the port is
working. Any thoughts? Keep in mind I am totally green with Vista.
Thanks in advance.
MajBAch

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista laptop wont LAN to XP desktop
You may want to change the speed or duplex. These links may help,

Network cable unpluggedHome | Site Map | How To | Windows Vista | Case Studies | Articles | Forums | Services ... Network Cable unplugged The network request is not supported. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/troublesh...eunplugged.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"MajBach" <majbach@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:1190067064.519665.299830@n39g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
Hi all! I just bought an HP laptop with Vista premium and I cannot get
it to connect to my desktop running WinXP via an ethernet cable. The
laptop wont even recognize the ethernet cable is plugged in and my
desktop says 'cable unplugged'. Interesting thing is, when I fire up
my old Dell laptop running XP, the desktop instantly says 'connected
at 100 MBps' and I can transfer files and get on the net just fine. I
checked the ethernet port on the laptop is working by plugging an
ethernet cable (the same one i used for the LAN) directly into my DSL
modem and the laptop connected to the internet fine so the port is
working. Any thoughts? Keep in mind I am totally green with Vista.
Thanks in advance.
MajBAch

MajBach

Re: Vista laptop wont LAN to XP desktop
Update:
Well, I did finally get the two PCs to see each other. I grabbed
another ethernet cable and it worked. The first two I had tried were
yellow (probably crossovers) and the other one that worked was blue. I
didn't feel the need to try the other cable because the yellow ones
worked fine for years with my Dell laptop.
Anyway, things still are not working properly. Although the laptop
sees the desktop, it states its an unidentifed network. I installed a
protocol Microsoft recommened to make an XP system readable on the map
of a Vista system but no change.

Mick Murphy

Re: Vista laptop wont LAN to XP desktop

Make sure both computers have same workgroup name.

And, in Vista Network and sharing:
1 network discovery:ON
2 file sharing:ON
3 public folder sharing:ON