Sharing folders b/w vista and XP

jmellis

Sharing folders b/w vista and XP
I'm trying to share a folder on my new vista business laptop with my old
computers running XP Pro. I've followed all the steps found on Microsoft's
Technet article "File and Printer Sharing in Windows
Vista"(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx). When I try
to map the folder on my XP machines I get "The network path \\computer\share
cannot be found". I have no third-party firewall on any of the machines and
the Windows Firewall on Vista is turned off. My vista computer isn't seen in
the Available computers in the workgroup on the XP machines. However, when I
ping the Vista computer by name I get a reply. Mapping a share from one of
the XP machines on the Vista machine is no problem. What am I missing to get
a Vista share mapped to my XP machines?

thanks,
Micah
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Sharing folders b/w vista and XP
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:24:27 -0700, jmellis <jmellis@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I'm trying to share a folder on my new vista business laptop with my old
>computers running XP Pro. I've followed all the steps found on Microsoft's
>Technet article "File and Printer Sharing in Windows
>Vista"(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx). When I try
>to map the folder on my XP machines I get "The network path \\computer\share
>cannot be found". I have no third-party firewall on any of the machines and
>the Windows Firewall on Vista is turned off. My vista computer isn't seen in
>the Available computers in the workgroup on the XP machines. However, when I
>ping the Vista computer by name I get a reply. Mapping a share from one of
>the XP machines on the Vista machine is no problem. What am I missing to get
>a Vista share mapped to my XP machines?
>
>thanks,
>Micah

Micah,

I'd check the NetBT setting, and the personal firewalls, and make sure that they
are all properly set.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

What antivirus protection do you have? Make sure there's no antiworm component
in there.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

We could look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config
server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, and maybe diagnose
the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (download browstat!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
jmellis

Re: Sharing folders b/w vista and XP
Chuck,
Thanks for the help. I went into my adapter properties and File and Printer
Sharing for Microsoft networks was unchecked. I enabled it and all is right
with the world again.

thanks,
Micah

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:08:00 -0700, jmellis <jmellis@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:24:27 -0700, jmellis <jmellis@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm trying to share a folder on my new vista business laptop with my old
>> >computers running XP Pro. I've followed all the steps found on Microsoft's
>> >Technet article "File and Printer Sharing in Windows
>> >Vista"(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx). When I try
>> >to map the folder on my XP machines I get "The network path \\computer\share
>> >cannot be found". I have no third-party firewall on any of the machines and
>> >the Windows Firewall on Vista is turned off. My vista computer isn't seen in
>> >the Available computers in the workgroup on the XP machines. However, when I
>> >ping the Vista computer by name I get a reply. Mapping a share from one of
>> >the XP machines on the Vista machine is no problem. What am I missing to get
>> >a Vista share mapped to my XP machines?
>> >
>> >thanks,
>> >Micah

>> Micah,
>>
>> I'd check the NetBT setting, and the personal firewalls, and make sure that they
>> are all properly set.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
>>
>> What antivirus protection do you have? Make sure there's no antiworm component
>> in there.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html
>>
>> We could look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config
>> server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, and maybe diagnose
>> the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
>> precisely (download browstat!):
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp

>Chuck,
>Thanks for the help. I went into my adapter properties and File and Printer
>Sharing for Microsoft networks was unchecked. I enabled it and all is right
>with the world again.

Well, Micah, if you truly want to share files, F&PSMN needs to be enabled. Glad
you spotted that. ;-) Thanks for the update.
<http://bloggerstatusforreal.blogspot.com/2006/09/peer-support-it-works-only-if-you-help.html>
http://bloggerstatusforreal.blogspot...-you-help.html

--
Cheers,