vista sharing all of Users when only sub-folder is shared

doct

vista sharing all of Users when only sub-folder is shared
i have two vista business machines, laptop and desktop.

both members of the same workgroup. network discovery, file sharing, and
password protected file sharing enabled. i log into both systems with the
same login and password (local accounts on each system).

starting with nothing shared on the laptop (confirmed via looking at
'computer management->shared folders')

i right click 'music' folder on laptop, select 'share', and leave default
values (my username, 'owner' permission level, and hit 'share' button.

on my desktop, i go to network, find the laptop, and see that 'Users' is now
shared, not 'Music'. because Users is shared, i can get to -all- files
under that folder on my laptop, from my desktop. wtf?

why is vista not just sharing 'Music'?

Mick Murphy

RE: vista sharing all of Users when only sub-folder is shared

The above link should help

"doct" wrote:

> i have two vista business machines, laptop and desktop.
>
> both members of the same workgroup. network discovery, file sharing, and
> password protected file sharing enabled. i log into both systems with the
> same login and password (local accounts on each system).
>
> starting with nothing shared on the laptop (confirmed via looking at
> 'computer management->shared folders')
>
> i right click 'music' folder on laptop, select 'share', and leave default
> values (my username, 'owner' permission level, and hit 'share' button.
>
> on my desktop, i go to network, find the laptop, and see that 'Users' is now
> shared, not 'Music'. because Users is shared, i can get to -all- files
> under that folder on my laptop, from my desktop. wtf?
>
> why is vista not just sharing 'Music'?

doct

RE: vista sharing all of Users when only sub-folder is shared

thanks for the pointer, but unfortunately it doesn't. there is no mention
of vista automatically sharing all of a users' files, when just a certain
subdirectory is shared.

i want to share just my music, not -all- my files. even though i select
and share just the music folder, -all- of 'Users' is shared instead, which is
my problem.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> The above link should help
>
> "doct" wrote:
>
> > i have two vista business machines, laptop and desktop.
> >
> > both members of the same workgroup. network discovery, file sharing, and
> > password protected file sharing enabled. i log into both systems with the
> > same login and password (local accounts on each system).
> >
> > starting with nothing shared on the laptop (confirmed via looking at
> > 'computer management->shared folders')
> >
> > i right click 'music' folder on laptop, select 'share', and leave default
> > values (my username, 'owner' permission level, and hit 'share' button.
> >
> > on my desktop, i go to network, find the laptop, and see that 'Users' is now
> > shared, not 'Music'. because Users is shared, i can get to -all- files
> > under that folder on my laptop, from my desktop. wtf?
> >
> > why is vista not just sharing 'Music'?

George /Downhill Racer/

RE: vista sharing all of Users when only sub-folder is shared
I have the exactly same problem. I'm wondering if anybody else noticed it.
And as I can see, no replies from Microsoft.......

George
Athens, Greece

*******************
Greece, Land of the Gods
Sea and Sun are our birthrights
********************

"doct" wrote:

> thanks for the pointer, but unfortunately it doesn't. there is no mention
> of vista automatically sharing all of a users' files, when just a certain
> subdirectory is shared.
>
> i want to share just my music, not -all- my files. even though i select
> and share just the music folder, -all- of 'Users' is shared instead, which is
> my problem.
>

> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
> >
> > The above link should help
> >
> > "doct" wrote:
> >
> > > i have two vista business machines, laptop and desktop.
> > >
> > > both members of the same workgroup. network discovery, file sharing, and
> > > password protected file sharing enabled. i log into both systems with the
> > > same login and password (local accounts on each system).
> > >
> > > starting with nothing shared on the laptop (confirmed via looking at
> > > 'computer management->shared folders')
> > >
> > > i right click 'music' folder on laptop, select 'share', and leave default
> > > values (my username, 'owner' permission level, and hit 'share' button.
> > >
> > > on my desktop, i go to network, find the laptop, and see that 'Users' is now
> > > shared, not 'Music'. because Users is shared, i can get to -all- files
> > > under that folder on my laptop, from my desktop. wtf?
> > >
> > > why is vista not just sharing 'Music'?

George /Downhill Racer/

RE: vista sharing all of Users when only sub-folder is shared
I found the answer thanks to Google, Tech Support Guy and GODzMADsKILLz

Read it in

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...verything.html

George
Athens, Greece