Network Discovery State: Custom

Ken M

Network Discovery State: Custom
Hi there, I'm running OneCare as my security suite, and one day I stupidly
assigned my network to a Public location. Since then I've been unable to edit
my network connection and I have some strange observable results.

* the Network and Sharing Center that takes 5 mintues to open; when it does
display I cannot use any of the buttons or features. I have to use task
manager to end the process.

* My Network is 'unknown' and 'server execution failed'.

* 'Network Discovery' shows a value of 'Custom'. According to online help:
"'Custom' is a mixed state in which some settings related to network
discovery are enabled, but not all of them. Network discovery requires that
the dnscache, fdrespub, ssdpsrv, and upnphost services are started, that the
Windows Firewall exception for network discovery is enabled, and that other
firewalls are not interfering with network discovery. If some but not all of
these are true, the network discovery state will be shown as Custom.

*I have confirmed that my machine service FDRESPUB is stopped, and I cannot
start it.

I could use some expert guidance to set this right, Please and thank you!
Mick Murphy

RE: Network Discovery State: Custom
start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore
Take it back to a point in time before you had this prob.

"Ken M" wrote:

> Hi there, I'm running OneCare as my security suite, and one day I stupidly
> assigned my network to a Public location. Since then I've been unable to edit
> my network connection and I have some strange observable results.
>
> * the Network and Sharing Center that takes 5 mintues to open; when it does
> display I cannot use any of the buttons or features. I have to use task
> manager to end the process.
>
> * My Network is 'unknown' and 'server execution failed'.
>
> * 'Network Discovery' shows a value of 'Custom'. According to online help:
> "'Custom' is a mixed state in which some settings related to network
> discovery are enabled, but not all of them. Network discovery requires that
> the dnscache, fdrespub, ssdpsrv, and upnphost services are started, that the
> Windows Firewall exception for network discovery is enabled, and that other
> firewalls are not interfering with network discovery. If some but not all of
> these are true, the network discovery state will be shown as Custom.
>
> *I have confirmed that my machine service FDRESPUB is stopped, and I cannot
> start it.
>
> I could use some expert guidance to set this right, Please and thank you!

Ken M

RE: Network Discovery State: Custom
Not a bad suggestion, Mick, thanks, but it's waaaay to late for this, the
restore point is just too far in the past.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore
> Take it back to a point in time before you had this prob.
>
> "Ken M" wrote:
>
> > Hi there, I'm running OneCare as my security suite, and one day I stupidly
> > assigned my network to a Public location. Since then I've been unable to edit
> > my network connection and I have some strange observable results.
> >
> > * the Network and Sharing Center that takes 5 mintues to open; when it does
> > display I cannot use any of the buttons or features. I have to use task
> > manager to end the process.
> >
> > * My Network is 'unknown' and 'server execution failed'.
> >
> > * 'Network Discovery' shows a value of 'Custom'. According to online help:
> > "'Custom' is a mixed state in which some settings related to network
> > discovery are enabled, but not all of them. Network discovery requires that
> > the dnscache, fdrespub, ssdpsrv, and upnphost services are started, that the
> > Windows Firewall exception for network discovery is enabled, and that other
> > firewalls are not interfering with network discovery. If some but not all of
> > these are true, the network discovery state will be shown as Custom.
> >
> > *I have confirmed that my machine service FDRESPUB is stopped, and I cannot
> > start it.
> >
> > I could use some expert guidance to set this right, Please and thank you!

Matt W

RE: Network Discovery State: Custom
I have the same exact problem, and I need to turn on Network Discovery (mine
is set to completely off).