My port 139 is wide open!

Brandon Taylor

My port 139 is wide open!
I just ran the Shields UP! test (at www.grc.com) and it told me that my port
139 was wide open. How in Windows Vista do I close that port?

Brandon Taylor

Chuck [MVP]

Re: My port 139 is wide open!
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:17:25 -0500, "Brandon Taylor"
<donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I just ran the Shields UP! test (at www.grc.com) and it told me that my port
>139 was wide open. How in Windows Vista do I close that port?
>
>Brandon Taylor

Brandon,

Is the computer directly connected to the Internet? Get a NAT router. If you
can afford a computer, you can afford a router.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/proper-network-design.html#Router>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...gn.html#Router

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Chuck [MVP]

Re: My port 139 is wide open!
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:17:25 -0500, "Brandon Taylor"
<donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I just ran the Shields UP! test (at www.grc.com) and it told me that my port
>139 was wide open. How in Windows Vista do I close that port?
>
>Brandon Taylor

Brandon,

Is the computer directly connected to the Internet? Get a NAT router. If you
can afford a computer, you can afford a router.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/proper-network-design.html#Router>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...gn.html#Router

For a short term solution, go to the Network and Sharing Center, and set the NLT
to Public.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html#VistaServer>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...ml#VistaServer

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: My port 139 is wide open!
You can use PULIST from the Windows Resource Kit to find which process is using a specified port. This show to may help.

How to find open ports on a computerYou can use PULIST from the Windows Resource Kit to find which process is using a specified port. For example, pulist |find /i "4125" may display ...
www.howtonetworking.com/command/openport1.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Brandon Taylor" <donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uZJwfJu9HHA.5160@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
I just ran the Shields UP! test (at www.grc.com) and it told me that my port
139 was wide open. How in Windows Vista do I close that port?

Brandon Taylor

Brandon Taylor

Re: My port 139 is wide open!
I issued this command:

netstat -an | find /i "139"

and it returned the following line:

TCP 192.168.0.2:139 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

Turns out that 192.168.0.2 is my own IP address, and it is listening through Port 139! From what I can gather, the only way to protect my computer from any menace trying to attack it through Port 139 is to shut down the Internet connection. Am I correct... or is there another way?

-- B.D.T.
"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OS1uimu9HHA.5948@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
You can use PULIST from the Windows Resource Kit to find which process is using a specified port. This show to may help.

How to find open ports on a computer You can use PULIST from the Windows Resource Kit to find which process is using a specified port. For example, pulist |find /i "4125" may display ...
www.howtonetworking.com/command/openport1.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Brandon Taylor" <donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uZJwfJu9HHA.5160@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
I just ran the Shields UP! test (at www.grc.com) and it told me that my port
139 was wide open. How in Windows Vista do I close that port?

Brandon Taylor

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: My port 139 is wide open!
As the link says, using PULIST will give you the processor and PID.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Brandon Taylor" <donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:7E69DE4A-CF2C-4EB1-88C9-C4129DF2BE70@microsoft.com...
[...]

You can download pulist from this link: http://www.chicagotech.net/Tools/pulist.zip

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE