Slow wireless connect during startup

Sabian Smith

Slow wireless connect during startup
Vista startup is delayed by about 50 seconds due to (I think) slow
startup of the Wiresless network connection (which otherwise works well).

The desktop/sidebar appears reasonably fast (about 45 seconds from BIOS),
but after the sidebar appears there is a 50 second delay with NO disk
activity. During this time, it appears the service WORKSTATION is trying to
load ("Starting.."). It finally starts after 50 seconds, and the rest of the
startup process finishes.

During this pause, the "Network" icon in System Tray (2 computers) has a red
X, then a yellow exclamation, and about a 60-90 secs later finally the
planet symbol
and a working internet connection. I suspect this slow wireless connection
is delaying the Workstation Service startup? Any ideas why the wifi takes so
long to connect during bootup? Any way to further debug to isolate problem?

System Setup:
-Vaio SZ6 Santa Rosa laptop with Intel 4965AGN (80211b/g/n)
-Vista Business 32 bit, local workgroup over LAN
-D-Link (DI624) router, dynamic DHCP, connected to cablemodem.
-No difference in delay using static IP assignment
-WPA/PSK security
-NIC not allowed to connect to "alternative SSID"
-Up to date Vista, Intel NIC drivers, router firmware.

Sabian Smith

Re: Slow wireless connect during startup
I did a little more debugging.

During the startup pause when the Network icon is red "x" or yellow "!" ,
Network & Sharing Center shows the Network icon stuck at "Identifying..
Public network" until FINALLY it shows my SSID and the link to the Planet
"Internet". For some reason it is taking a long time to connect to the
Wifi SSID, even though the router log shows almost instant
connection/authentication.

I ran a BOOT LOG. All drivers loaded EXCEPT:
Did not load driver \systemroot\system32\drivers\srv.sys
Did not load driver \systemroot\system32\drivers\parport.sys

Is this related?

"Sabian Smith" <ss_blake@h0zm31l.com> wrote in message
> Vista startup is delayed by about 50 seconds due to (I think) slow
> startup of the Wiresless network connection (which otherwise works well).
>
> The desktop/sidebar appears reasonably fast (about 45 seconds from BIOS),
> but after the sidebar appears there is a 50 second delay with NO disk
> activity. During this time, it appears the service WORKSTATION is trying
> load ("Starting.."). It finally starts after 50 seconds, and the rest of
> the
> startup process finishes.
>
> During this pause, the "Network" icon in System Tray (2 computers) has a
> red
> X, then a yellow exclamation, and about a 60-90 secs later finally the
> planet symbol
> and a working internet connection. I suspect this slow wireless
> connection
> is delaying the Workstation Service startup? Any ideas why the wifi takes
> so
> long to connect during bootup? Any way to further debug to isolate
> problem?
>
> System Setup:
> -Vaio SZ6 Santa Rosa laptop with Intel 4965AGN (80211b/g/n)
> -Vista Business 32 bit, local workgroup over LAN
> -D-Link (DI624) router, dynamic DHCP, connected to cablemodem.
> -No difference in delay using static IP assignment
> -WPA/PSK security
> -NIC not allowed to connect to "alternative SSID"
> -Up to date Vista, Intel NIC drivers, router firmware.

Sabian Smith

Re: Slow wireless connect during startup
I have hit a dead end. For some reason only the WiFi connection a long time
to establish connection during Vista startup. This same laptop has a
wired-LAN adapter - when I boot using this, startup flies and there is no
delay "identifying.." the network.

Can anyone help me with this.. where should I start (debug, logging etc) to
find out why the wifi takes so long to establish initial connection? It is
an Intel 4965AGN WiFi Adapter.

>I did a little more debugging.
>
> During the startup pause when the Network icon is red "x" or yellow "!" ,
> Network & Sharing Center shows the Network icon stuck at "Identifying..
> Public network" until FINALLY it shows my SSID and the link to the Planet
> "Internet". For some reason it is taking a long time to connect to the
> Wifi SSID, even though the router log shows almost instant
> connection/authentication.
>
> I ran a BOOT LOG. All drivers loaded EXCEPT:
> Did not load driver \systemroot\system32\drivers\srv.sys
> Did not load driver \systemroot\system32\drivers\parport.sys
>
> Is this related?
>

> "Sabian Smith" <ss_blake@h0zm31l.com> wrote in message
>> Vista startup is delayed by about 50 seconds due to (I think) slow
>> startup of the Wiresless network connection (which otherwise works well).
>>
>> The desktop/sidebar appears reasonably fast (about 45 seconds from BIOS),
>> but after the sidebar appears there is a 50 second delay with NO disk
>> activity. During this time, it appears the service WORKSTATION is trying
>> load ("Starting.."). It finally starts after 50 seconds, and the rest of
>> the
>> startup process finishes.
>>
>> During this pause, the "Network" icon in System Tray (2 computers) has a
>> red
>> X, then a yellow exclamation, and about a 60-90 secs later finally the
>> planet symbol
>> and a working internet connection. I suspect this slow wireless
>> connection
>> is delaying the Workstation Service startup? Any ideas why the wifi takes
>> so
>> long to connect during bootup? Any way to further debug to isolate
>> problem?
>>
>> System Setup:
>> -Vaio SZ6 Santa Rosa laptop with Intel 4965AGN (80211b/g/n)
>> -Vista Business 32 bit, local workgroup over LAN
>> -D-Link (DI624) router, dynamic DHCP, connected to cablemodem.
>> -No difference in delay using static IP assignment
>> -WPA/PSK security
>> -NIC not allowed to connect to "alternative SSID"
>> -Up to date Vista, Intel NIC drivers, router firmware.

Victor Charles

RE: Slow wireless connect during startup
I'm having a similar problem - I'm running Vista Home Premium, and my startup
hangs for about the same amount of time, if not a little longer - and I just
discovered in the ntbtlog.txt file the following liine:

Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys

It's the ONLY driver that did not load. I think there's something related
here.

It reminds me of Windows 98 when it had a similar problem trying to located
networks at bootup and would hang forever.

I'm already craving SP1 for Vista. UGH.

"Sabian Smith" wrote:

> Vista startup is delayed by about 50 seconds due to (I think) slow
> startup of the Wiresless network connection (which otherwise works well).
>
> The desktop/sidebar appears reasonably fast (about 45 seconds from BIOS),
> but after the sidebar appears there is a 50 second delay with NO disk
> activity. During this time, it appears the service WORKSTATION is trying to
> load ("Starting.."). It finally starts after 50 seconds, and the rest of the
> startup process finishes.
>
> During this pause, the "Network" icon in System Tray (2 computers) has a red
> X, then a yellow exclamation, and about a 60-90 secs later finally the
> planet symbol
> and a working internet connection. I suspect this slow wireless connection
> is delaying the Workstation Service startup? Any ideas why the wifi takes so
> long to connect during bootup? Any way to further debug to isolate problem?
>
> System Setup:
> -Vaio SZ6 Santa Rosa laptop with Intel 4965AGN (80211b/g/n)
> -Vista Business 32 bit, local workgroup over LAN
> -D-Link (DI624) router, dynamic DHCP, connected to cablemodem.
> -No difference in delay using static IP assignment
> -WPA/PSK security
> -NIC not allowed to connect to "alternative SSID"
> -Up to date Vista, Intel NIC drivers, router firmware.

mbushnell

RE: Slow wireless connect during startup
I am also having the same problem. I have no idea what to do to fix it, but
it is very annoying. When I first boot up this computer, it will open
Windows fine but then everything grinds to a halt as soon as the wireless
icon pops up on the bottom right of the screen. My virus scan (McAfee 8.5i
Enterprise Edition) gets a small red stop circle over it and my system will
sit there for about 90 seconds with no activity. During this time the
wireless icon has a small red x over it as well. I turned on the CPU widget
to see what my system is doing and it just sits at 0% activity. After 90
seconds or so, the virus scan software will start working and the wireless
will then switch from a small red x to a little yellow triangle with an
exclamation point. After about 30 or so more seconds, the wireless will then
start working. I have plugged this computer in via ethernet cable and it
does not have any of these delays when booting up. I just find this very
annoying and hope that someone can tell me a solution. For the record, the
only software I have installed on here other than just the Windows Vista Home
Premium software itsself is the following:
Adobe Reader 8
Becker CPA Review 2007
DAEMON Tools
Google Earth
Itunes/Quicktime
McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise Edition 8.5i
and Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise Edition

All software is up to date and I have defragmented and done all maintenance
as of Wednesday. Any help with this issue would be great.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3...stabootsa0.jpg
Estrelo

RE: Slow wireless connect during startup
Same issue, running Vista Ultimate 64bit on a Clevo Santa Rosa laptop. The
same issue started happening to me on another laptop, a Vestal Santa rosa
laptop running VHP 32bit. Both these laptops were equiped with Intel AGN
internal wifi cards. I'm dual booting xp on the Clevo and there are no issues
there, the wifi connects immediatly after startup.

Here's what happens: Vista boots, and soon after the login screen the icons
start loading and from that moment I can do pretty much anything exept
accesing the internet and opening any of the mobility center's options. I
can't change the power mode, open the mob. center shortcut window, access the
Network and Sharing center, etc... During this time the network symbol has a
red cross over it. after about 30-50 secs he acceses my home network or
whatever network i'm around and everything opens. On the Vestal, sometimes
the Mobility center itself crashed during startup, especially if I started
accesing it.

It looks like it the mobility center that's hanging while something loads.
Maybe the process mentioned above?
mbushnell

RE: Slow wireless connect during startup
I meant to mention this in my previous post, but I am using Windows Vista
Home Premium 32-bit on my iMac. My iMac has a 1.83 ghz Core Duo, 2 gigs of
ram, ATI X1600 128 mb video card, 150 gig hd, 802.11 a/b/g wireless card,
gigabit ethernet card. What brought this to my attention was the fact that I
bought a Linksys router so that I could get my Nintendo Wii online. I
figured since I was going to use the router for the Wii, I might as well use
it for my computer as well. I had my iMac plugged in straight from the cable
modem previously but am now using a WPA secure wireless connection. This
issue started once I started using wireless versus being plugged in. Also, I
have noticed that this issue only occurs during a cold boot. If I cold boot
Vista, the computer will hang similar to what everyone else hasa mentioned
previously but if I simply restart it will not hang upon reboot. I don't
know what could cause this, but I'm hope it is something that Microsoft is
aware of. For the record, I tested the OS X install on my iMac with the
wireless connection and it has no problems upon bootup.
kestenm

RE: Slow wireless connect during startup
I am having the same problem as all of you, with Vista home premium and an HP
labtop pavillion dv6000 and linksys wireless router. Once connected,
everything works fine and is fast. Basically, I have to log into windows,
and leave the computer sitting there for about 2 minutes until it makes the
wireless connection. Sometimes, I can log into the router and release and
renew the DHCP assignment and that seems to help, but otherwise no real
solution. Hope someone comes up with a solution...

"mbushnell" wrote:

> I meant to mention this in my previous post, but I am using Windows Vista
> Home Premium 32-bit on my iMac. My iMac has a 1.83 ghz Core Duo, 2 gigs of
> ram, ATI X1600 128 mb video card, 150 gig hd, 802.11 a/b/g wireless card,
> gigabit ethernet card. What brought this to my attention was the fact that I
> bought a Linksys router so that I could get my Nintendo Wii online. I
> figured since I was going to use the router for the Wii, I might as well use
> it for my computer as well. I had my iMac plugged in straight from the cable
> modem previously but am now using a WPA secure wireless connection. This
> issue started once I started using wireless versus being plugged in. Also, I
> have noticed that this issue only occurs during a cold boot. If I cold boot
> Vista, the computer will hang similar to what everyone else hasa mentioned
> previously but if I simply restart it will not hang upon reboot. I don't
> know what could cause this, but I'm hope it is something that Microsoft is
> aware of. For the record, I tested the OS X install on my iMac with the
> wireless connection and it has no problems upon bootup.

Sabian Smith

Re: Slow wireless connect during startup
Surprising to see so many folks still having this problem 4 weeks after my
original post, an no solutions/suggestions from microsoft. The slow to
establish network connection problem is not unique to wireless. I just
purchased a new desktop that is hard-wired into my same router, and low and
behold after a couple weeks it too is having the slow network connect issue!

What router are you guys using ? I have a D-Link DI624. Perhaps it is a
router issue but I doubt it

"kestenm" <kestenm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having the same problem as all of you, with Vista home premium and an
>HP
> labtop pavillion dv6000 and linksys wireless router. Once connected,
> everything works fine and is fast. Basically, I have to log into windows,
> and leave the computer sitting there for about 2 minutes until it makes
> the
> wireless connection. Sometimes, I can log into the router and release and
> renew the DHCP assignment and that seems to help, but otherwise no real
> solution. Hope someone comes up with a solution...
>

> "mbushnell" wrote:
>
>> I meant to mention this in my previous post, but I am using Windows Vista
>> Home Premium 32-bit on my iMac. My iMac has a 1.83 ghz Core Duo, 2 gigs
>> of
>> ram, ATI X1600 128 mb video card, 150 gig hd, 802.11 a/b/g wireless card,
>> gigabit ethernet card. What brought this to my attention was the fact
>> that I
>> bought a Linksys router so that I could get my Nintendo Wii online. I
>> figured since I was going to use the router for the Wii, I might as well
>> use
>> it for my computer as well. I had my iMac plugged in straight from the
>> cable
>> modem previously but am now using a WPA secure wireless connection. This
>> issue started once I started using wireless versus being plugged in.
>> Also, I
>> have noticed that this issue only occurs during a cold boot. If I cold
>> boot
>> Vista, the computer will hang similar to what everyone else hasa
>> mentioned
>> previously but if I simply restart it will not hang upon reboot. I don't
>> know what could cause this, but I'm hope it is something that Microsoft
>> is
>> aware of. For the record, I tested the OS X install on my iMac with the
>> wireless connection and it has no problems upon bootup.

Estrelo

Re: Slow wireless connect during startup
I don't believe that is the issue, because the hangup of the Mobile Center
(or maybe just the Network and Sharing Center) happens regardless of there
being an wireless network around or not. You touched another issue though. I
think in both my experiences this started a few days/weeks after booting
Vista for the 1st time.