Can Connect to Router but unable to connect to internet

Dave

Can Connect to Router but unable to connect to internet
I have recently upgraded to Vista home premium. After many unsuccessful
attempts at trying to connect to my USB adapter(Belkin N1) I updated the
drivers for my USB adapter for the vista OS. After applying the update and
configuring the adapter to the security I had enabl on the router (WPA-PSK),
I finally made a wireless connection to my router (Belkin N1 router). At
this point I was overjoyed and proceeded to open IE7 to connect to the
internet only to be informed that the pages could not be displayed (i.e.
www.microsoft.com and www.google.com). Upon checking the network status on
vista it was showing me that I had successfully made a connection to the
router but from the router to the internet there was a big "X" through the
connection. I am able to access the internet through my laptop (XP) using
the same USB adapter to the same router with the same security settings
without issue. Please note that there is not IP conflict on the router as it
shows that it has its own IP. I do not think it is DNS related as my laptop
is able to connect without issue.

Can someone please advise me if there is anything that I am missing on the
Vista OS that will not allow me access to the internet and open up one of the
key functions of a computer
kuan wai

RE: Can Connect to Router but unable to connect to internet
Hi, are you using DHCP? On both your vista pc and laptop, do a ipconfig,
compare and check if they are using the same gateway and DNS.

"Dave" wrote:

> I have recently upgraded to Vista home premium. After many unsuccessful
> attempts at trying to connect to my USB adapter(Belkin N1) I updated the
> drivers for my USB adapter for the vista OS. After applying the update and
> configuring the adapter to the security I had enabl on the router (WPA-PSK),
> I finally made a wireless connection to my router (Belkin N1 router). At
> this point I was overjoyed and proceeded to open IE7 to connect to the
> internet only to be informed that the pages could not be displayed (i.e.
> www.microsoft.com and www.google.com). Upon checking the network status on
> vista it was showing me that I had successfully made a connection to the
> router but from the router to the internet there was a big "X" through the
> connection. I am able to access the internet through my laptop (XP) using
> the same USB adapter to the same router with the same security settings
> without issue. Please note that there is not IP conflict on the router as it
> shows that it has its own IP. I do not think it is DNS related as my laptop
> is able to connect without issue.
>
> Can someone please advise me if there is anything that I am missing on the
> Vista OS that will not allow me access to the internet and open up one of the
> key functions of a computer

Dave

RE: Can Connect to Router but unable to connect to internet
Yes I am using DHCP. I will check to confirm. If they are using the same
and the error is still occuring is there anything else that could cause this?

"kuan wai" wrote:

> Hi, are you using DHCP? On both your vista pc and laptop, do a ipconfig,
> compare and check if they are using the same gateway and DNS.
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
> > I have recently upgraded to Vista home premium. After many unsuccessful
> > attempts at trying to connect to my USB adapter(Belkin N1) I updated the
> > drivers for my USB adapter for the vista OS. After applying the update and
> > configuring the adapter to the security I had enabl on the router (WPA-PSK),
> > I finally made a wireless connection to my router (Belkin N1 router). At
> > this point I was overjoyed and proceeded to open IE7 to connect to the
> > internet only to be informed that the pages could not be displayed (i.e.
> > www.microsoft.com and www.google.com). Upon checking the network status on
> > vista it was showing me that I had successfully made a connection to the
> > router but from the router to the internet there was a big "X" through the
> > connection. I am able to access the internet through my laptop (XP) using
> > the same USB adapter to the same router with the same security settings
> > without issue. Please note that there is not IP conflict on the router as it
> > shows that it has its own IP. I do not think it is DNS related as my laptop
> > is able to connect without issue.
> >
> > Can someone please advise me if there is anything that I am missing on the
> > Vista OS that will not allow me access to the internet and open up one of the
> > key functions of a computer

Mick Murphy

RE: Can Connect to Router but unable to connect to internet
Have you set up a Wireless Network in your Router? SSID?
If you have, in Vista, click start>Connect to> follow prompts.
It will show wireless networks. put in your WPA key, and connect.

"Dave" wrote:

> I have recently upgraded to Vista home premium. After many unsuccessful
> attempts at trying to connect to my USB adapter(Belkin N1) I updated the
> drivers for my USB adapter for the vista OS. After applying the update and
> configuring the adapter to the security I had enabl on the router (WPA-PSK),
> I finally made a wireless connection to my router (Belkin N1 router). At
> this point I was overjoyed and proceeded to open IE7 to connect to the
> internet only to be informed that the pages could not be displayed (i.e.
> www.microsoft.com and www.google.com). Upon checking the network status on
> vista it was showing me that I had successfully made a connection to the
> router but from the router to the internet there was a big "X" through the
> connection. I am able to access the internet through my laptop (XP) using
> the same USB adapter to the same router with the same security settings
> without issue. Please note that there is not IP conflict on the router as it
> shows that it has its own IP. I do not think it is DNS related as my laptop
> is able to connect without issue.
>
> Can someone please advise me if there is anything that I am missing on the
> Vista OS that will not allow me access to the internet and open up one of the
> key functions of a computer

hannahbanana

Re: Can Connect to Router but unable to connect to internet

Hi all!
I just recently purchased a sony vaio and went to set it up with the
internet but it won't connect properly to the network? It works
perfectly fine and connects to the wireless? But when i connected it to
a plug in internet it wouldn't work?? However the windows sidebar
appears to be connected to the internet because the weather and currency
is reguarally updated?you know the way with vista the icon for the
internet connected is the 2 computer screens but the blue ball has to
spin for it to be connected? well the 2 computer screens are there but
no ball??
pleeease help me!
thanks so much,
hannah

--
hannahbanana
hannahbanana's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/140167.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Can Connect to Router but unable to connect to internet
Hi
Do you mean that it connects to the Network via Wireless, but would not
connect through plugged in Wired connection with a cable?
If so, did you try to disable the Wireless card before trying the cable
connection?
Or at least configure metrics like this, http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"hannahbanana" <hannahbanana.3zdnbb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hi all!
> I just recently purchased a sony vaio and went to set it up with the
> internet but it won't connect properly to the network? It works
> perfectly fine and connects to the wireless? But when i connected it to
> a plug in internet it wouldn't work?? However the windows sidebar
> appears to be connected to the internet because the weather and currency
> is reguarally updated?you know the way with vista the icon for the
> internet connected is the 2 computer screens but the blue ball has to
> spin for it to be connected? well the 2 computer screens are there but
> no ball??
> pleeease help me!
> thanks so much,
> hannah
>

> --
> hannahbanana
> hannahbanana's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/140167.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ork/818001.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

hannahbanana

Re: Can Connect to Router but unable to connect to internet

No there is no wireless available? I am connected to the network through
the cable. The IP address is definately correct because I am appearing
on the main networks computer? The man who runs the network said it is
something to do with the settings with vista on my laptop. He fixed my
last laptop which also had Windows Vista. The problem is that he won't
be back for a month or so. Is there anything else that could be the
problem?

Thank you,
Hannah

--
hannahbanana
hannahbanana's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/140167.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ork/818001.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Supernova2

Re: Can Connect to Router but unable to connect to internet
It seems I have a similar problem. I can see an earth on the connection icon
in Windows tray. I can ping any site without a problem (tried Google, yahoo,
....). However, when I use IE, it says there is no network connection. When I
use FireFox, it says the server cannot be found for all sites I have tried.
One thing strange is this is a new computer. I was able to surf web after I
installed the LinkSys adapter. However, after I started Windows Firewall and
user control, I cannot browse the web any more even after I removed the
firewall. I still can ping any site but cannot browse the web. I have Vista
64 OS.

"hannahbanana" wrote:

> No there is no wireless available? I am connected to the network through
> the cable. The IP address is definately correct because I am appearing
> on the main networks computer? The man who runs the network said it is
> something to do with the settings with vista on my laptop. He fixed my
> last laptop which also had Windows Vista. The problem is that he won't
> be back for a month or so. Is there anything else that could be the
> problem?
>
> Thank you,
> Hannah
>

> --
> hannahbanana
> hannahbanana's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/140167.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ork/818001.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

PanzerMagier7

Re: Can Connect to Router but unable to connect to internet

Every bloody time update Vista, my internet does NOT want to connect
fully or worse yet, It have to run a system repair at start up before it
will bloody boot up properly! >_< What gives? Also, does ANYONE know
where I can get hold of a Windows 7 Voucher for this computer? are they
offering Windows 7 coupons to existing Vista users?

~Frustrated in Chatta-no-where

--
PanzerMagier7
Pat Cook

PanzerMagier7 wrote:
> Every bloody time update Vista, my internet does NOT want to connect
> fully or worse yet, It have to run a system repair at start up before it
> will bloody boot up properly! >_< What gives? Also, does ANYONE know
> where I can get hold of a Windows 7 Voucher for this computer? are they
> offering Windows 7 coupons to existing Vista users?
>
> ~Frustrated in Chatta-no-where

I assume you're running a network or you wouldn't be posting here. As
such, lemme offer these solutions.....

1). Power cycle your router (This usually solves the problem right away!)

If the problem persists however (In other words, you STILL can't connect
get online), try doing these things IN ORDER (Performing connectivity
tests after each task)....

2). Power cycle your router AND your modem

3). COMPLETELY SHUT DOWN THE CULPRIT COMPUTER & power cycle your router
& modem

4). COMPLETELY SHUT DOWN ALL COMPUTERS ON YOUR NETWORK & power cycle
your router & modem (Usually it's a simple case of one computer not
being able to see or talk to the other(s) on the network, but that's not
necessarily true)

In the event ALL of the above tasks fail, there's this nifty little
option.....

5). Call your ISP & report the problem to them

They may have you repeat all of the above tasks, but then again, there
may be a problem on their end which they may already be aware of. If
this is the case, the only thing you can do is just simply wait it out.

Hope this helps.....

Cheers

Pat Cook
Denver, CO