Cannot rename files on mapped drive

Bjarne

Cannot rename files on mapped drive
I have a Vista (Business) PC on a network consisting of a couple of XP PC's -
one of which is functioning as a file server.

The XP machines on the network can access the mapped drive on the file
server with no problems. The vista PC can read files from the mapped drive on
the file server also, but has the following problems:

- Cannot rename files and folders
- Cannot save existing Word and Excel files. Strangely enough it CAN save
text files and create new files.

Can anyone help me with this, please?

Bjarne
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Cannot rename files on mapped drive
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:54:02 -0700, Bjarne <Bjarne@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have a Vista (Business) PC on a network consisting of a couple of XP PC's -
>one of which is functioning as a file server.
>
>The XP machines on the network can access the mapped drive on the file
>server with no problems. The vista PC can read files from the mapped drive on
>the file server also, but has the following problems:
>
>- Cannot rename files and folders
>- Cannot save existing Word and Excel files. Strangely enough it CAN save
>text files and create new files.
>
>Can anyone help me with this, please?
>
>Bjarne

Bjarne,

What is the exact path of the files on the server? Is the server using Guest,
or non-Guest, authentication? What account were you logged in under, when the
files were created? Was it an account with administrative authority?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Guest>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-xp.html#Guest

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Bjarne

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> What is the exact path of the files on the server?

[Bjarne:]
On the server the files are located in "D:\files\*.*"
"D:" is a partition on the physical disk that also contains "C:".
The folder "files" is shared and on the network clients that folder is
mapped as drive "Z:\"
The OS of the server is XP Pro. The OS of the other clients that have no
problems is XP Pro also. The OS of the client that has problems is Vista
Business.

> Is the server using Guest, or non-Guest, authentication?

[Bjarne:]
I don't know (how do I see the difference?). I just shared the folder for
anyone on the network (no user is asked to log in to see the files). Every
computer uses the same workgroup name.

If this does not answer your question, please ask again.

> What account were you logged in under, when the files were created? Was it an account with administrative authority?

[Bjarne:]
As stated above, users do not have to log in to the network to access the
files. Each user account is an administrator on the local machine (but not on
the server).

It does not matter which machine created the files. Even files and folders
created by the Vista machine are affected.

cheers,

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 06:08:02 -0700, Bjarne <Bjarne@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> What is the exact path of the files on the server?

>[Bjarne:]
>On the server the files are located in "D:\files\*.*"
>"D:" is a partition on the physical disk that also contains "C:".
>The folder "files" is shared and on the network clients that folder is
>mapped as drive "Z:\"
>The OS of the server is XP Pro. The OS of the other clients that have no
>problems is XP Pro also. The OS of the client that has problems is Vista
>Business.
>
>> Is the server using Guest, or non-Guest, authentication?

>[Bjarne:]
>I don't know (how do I see the difference?). I just shared the folder for
>anyone on the network (no user is asked to log in to see the files). Every
>computer uses the same workgroup name.
>
>If this does not answer your question, please ask again.
>
>> What account were you logged in under, when the files were created? Was it an account with administrative authority?

>[Bjarne:]
>As stated above, users do not have to log in to the network to access the
>files. Each user account is an administrator on the local machine (but not on
>the server).
>
>It does not matter which machine created the files. Even files and folders
>created by the Vista machine are affected.
>
>cheers,
>
>Bjarne

Please read about Simple vs Advanced File Sharing, and Guest vs non-Guest
authentication. You have to know these differences, and you have to know how
your server is authenticating. This is relevant to your problem.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...indows-xp.html

Users may not explicitly log in to the network, but their computers are
authenticating, each time that a connection to a server is created. This is
something that you have to understand.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#NonGuest>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0....html#NonGuest

Now, understanding authentication, you need to understand that machines do not
create files, people do. How a person is logged in, when he/she creates files,
is also relevant here. If a person is logged in as an administrator, when a
file is created, anyone trying to access the file would need access through the
administrator account. If the server is using Guest authentication for network
access, the files created as administrator will be inaccessible.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/09/server-access-authorisation.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...orisation.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Bjarne

Re: Cannot rename files on mapped drive
Hi Chuck

Thank you for the general file sharing description.

In the meantime I found the not-so-obvious solution to my problem in another
forum:

---
Disabling offline files fixes this issue. But doesnt help if you need
offline files.

If you do need need offline files, and the ability to rename folders you
can try reinitializing the offline files cache:

To reinitialize the Offline Files cache, create the following DWORD registry
value with a value of 1 and restart the system.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC\Paramet ers\FormatDatabase

---

Why didn't I think of that.

;-)

Thank you for trying to help me.