Vista file sharing

Roy

Vista file sharing
I am trying to set up a Windows 98 / Vista network for a neighbor. She has
an old desktop running Windows 98 and a new HP laptop running Vista home
(premium I think) networked together through a linksys router. Both
computers can talk to the internet. Each computer can ping the other. The
Vista computer can transfer files to and from the Win 98 computer. The Win
98 computer can see the public folders on the Vista computer but locks up
solid if I try to access them. I have shared some folders on the Vista
computer and they are marked as shared, but when I click "show all the
folders I have shared", nothing shows up. If Vista can't figure out what
is shared how am I supposed to? I have looked for advice on quite a few
tech sites and everything I have found either doesn't apply, doesn't work
at all or makes matters worse.

She also has an old parallel port ink jet printer on the Win 98 desktop
that she would like to share, but from what I see on the 'net Vista needs
it's own drivers and there is probably about 0% chance of that.

Any help would be appreciated.
Roy
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Vista file sharing
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:51:21 GMT, Roy <rd@bj.com> wrote:

>I am trying to set up a Windows 98 / Vista network for a neighbor. She has
>an old desktop running Windows 98 and a new HP laptop running Vista home
>(premium I think) networked together through a linksys router. Both
>computers can talk to the internet. Each computer can ping the other. The
>Vista computer can transfer files to and from the Win 98 computer. The Win
>98 computer can see the public folders on the Vista computer but locks up
>solid if I try to access them. I have shared some folders on the Vista
>computer and they are marked as shared, but when I click "show all the
>folders I have shared", nothing shows up. If Vista can't figure out what
>is shared how am I supposed to? I have looked for advice on quite a few
>tech sites and everything I have found either doesn't apply, doesn't work
>at all or makes matters worse.
>
>She also has an old parallel port ink jet printer on the Win 98 desktop
>that she would like to share, but from what I see on the 'net Vista needs
>it's own drivers and there is probably about 0% chance of that.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
> Roy

Roy,

There are various problems known when trying to network a computer running
Windows Vista with computers running older operating systems, and specific
issues known with Windows 9x involved.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/05/microsoft-windows-and-authentication.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...ntication.html

The lock up problem is also known, but solutions may not be available.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/07/computer-for-virginia-usa.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...ginia-usa.html

Sharing printers is another challenge.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/05/file-sharing-and-printer-sharing-are.html>