Vista + Wireless = @!$%&*

A. Robinson

Vista + Wireless = @!$%&*
I have been literally trying for weeks to connect to a certain
wireless network and have had ZERO luck....!

There are three available networks within the realm of my house:
NETWORK1, NETWORK2, and NETWORK3. NETWORK1 is a "local" wireless
network (the wireless router and internet connection are in my house).
NETWORK1 has WEP enabled. NETRWORK2 and NETWORK3 are not in my house.
WEP is not enabled on these two networks.

I am able to connect to all three networks just fine from my desktop
and two other laptops I have. I'm only able to connect to NETWORK1
from my new Vista laptop.

I've disabled TCP/IP v.6 on the laptop and I still cannot connect to
the other networks.

Does Vista suck this much?!?!

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista + Wireless = @!$%&*
Apparently, Vista does not want you to STEAL your neighbours' bandwidth,
which you are doing with your desktop!

"A. Robinson" wrote:

> I have been literally trying for weeks to connect to a certain
> wireless network and have had ZERO luck....!
>
> There are three available networks within the realm of my house:
> NETWORK1, NETWORK2, and NETWORK3. NETWORK1 is a "local" wireless
> network (the wireless router and internet connection are in my house).
> NETWORK1 has WEP enabled. NETRWORK2 and NETWORK3 are not in my house.
> WEP is not enabled on these two networks.
>

> I am able to connect to all three networks just fine from my desktop
> and two other laptops I have. I'm only able to connect to NETWORK1
> from my new Vista laptop.
>

> I've disabled TCP/IP v.6 on the laptop and I still cannot connect to
> the other networks.
>

> Does Vista suck this much?!?!

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Vista + Wireless = @!$%&*
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:34:04 -0700, A. Robinson
<ARobinson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have been literally trying for weeks to connect to a certain
>wireless network and have had ZERO luck....!
>
>There are three available networks within the realm of my house:
>NETWORK1, NETWORK2, and NETWORK3. NETWORK1 is a "local" wireless
>network (the wireless router and internet connection are in my house).
>NETWORK1 has WEP enabled. NETRWORK2 and NETWORK3 are not in my house.
>WEP is not enabled on these two networks.
>

>I am able to connect to all three networks just fine from my desktop
>and two other laptops I have. I'm only able to connect to NETWORK1
>from my new Vista laptop.
>

>I've disabled TCP/IP v.6 on the laptop and I still cannot connect to
>the other networks.
>

>Does Vista suck this much?!?!

Besides the issues of ethics and legality, which should concern you, there are
technical issues that may concern you. Windows Vista has known issues with WiFi
networking, and with connectivity in general.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html#Connectivity>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...l#Connectivity

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
A. Robinson

RE: Vista + Wireless = @!$%&*
Actually, my neighbor and I share and share alike. We have one netowrk we use
as our jukebox - which is open to either of us, and we have our
personal/private networks...

No one likes being called a thief, Mick...

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Apparently, Vista does not want you to STEAL your neighbours' bandwidth,
> which you are doing with your desktop!
>
> "A. Robinson" wrote:
>
> > I have been literally trying for weeks to connect to a certain
> > wireless network and have had ZERO luck....!
> >
> > There are three available networks within the realm of my house:
> > NETWORK1, NETWORK2, and NETWORK3. NETWORK1 is a "local" wireless
> > network (the wireless router and internet connection are in my house).
> > NETWORK1 has WEP enabled. NETRWORK2 and NETWORK3 are not in my house.
> > WEP is not enabled on these two networks.
> >

> > I am able to connect to all three networks just fine from my desktop
> > and two other laptops I have. I'm only able to connect to NETWORK1
> > from my new Vista laptop.
> >

> > I've disabled TCP/IP v.6 on the laptop and I still cannot connect to
> > the other networks.
> >

> > Does Vista suck this much?!?!

A. Robinson

Re: Vista + Wireless = @!$%&*
See my previous reply to Mick...

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:34:04 -0700, A. Robinson
> <ARobinson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have been literally trying for weeks to connect to a certain
> >wireless network and have had ZERO luck....!
> >
> >There are three available networks within the realm of my house:
> >NETWORK1, NETWORK2, and NETWORK3. NETWORK1 is a "local" wireless
> >network (the wireless router and internet connection are in my house).
> >NETWORK1 has WEP enabled. NETRWORK2 and NETWORK3 are not in my house.
> >WEP is not enabled on these two networks.
> >

> >I am able to connect to all three networks just fine from my desktop
> >and two other laptops I have. I'm only able to connect to NETWORK1
> >from my new Vista laptop.
> >

> >I've disabled TCP/IP v.6 on the laptop and I still cannot connect to
> >the other networks.
> >

> >Does Vista suck this much?!?!

> Besides the issues of ethics and legality, which should concern you, there are
> technical issues that may concern you. Windows Vista has known issues with WiFi
> networking, and with connectivity in general.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html#Connectivity>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...l#Connectivity
>
> --
> Cheers,
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Vista + Wireless = @!$%&*
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:06:04 -0700, A. Robinson
<ARobinson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:34:04 -0700, A. Robinson
>> <ARobinson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have been literally trying for weeks to connect to a certain
>> >wireless network and have had ZERO luck....!
>> >
>> >There are three available networks within the realm of my house:
>> >NETWORK1, NETWORK2, and NETWORK3. NETWORK1 is a "local" wireless
>> >network (the wireless router and internet connection are in my house).
>> >NETWORK1 has WEP enabled. NETRWORK2 and NETWORK3 are not in my house.
>> >WEP is not enabled on these two networks.
>> >

>> >I am able to connect to all three networks just fine from my desktop
>> >and two other laptops I have. I'm only able to connect to NETWORK1
>> >from my new Vista laptop.
>> >

>> >I've disabled TCP/IP v.6 on the laptop and I still cannot connect to
>> >the other networks.
>> >

>> >Does Vista suck this much?!?!

>> Besides the issues of ethics and legality, which should concern you, there are
>> technical issues that may concern you. Windows Vista has known issues with WiFi
>> networking, and with connectivity in general.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html#Connectivity>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...l#Connectivity

>See my previous reply to Mick...

Well, if you're certain that you know who owns the other network, and you have
permission, then look at the technical issues. But I've seen a few cases where
folks thought they were connecting to a known neighbour, and instead were
connecting to an unknown neighbour, and getting an unreliable signal.

And there are numerous possible technical issues for you to consider.

--
Cheers,