Laptop-no internet connection

Jenz0321

Laptop-no internet connection
My son recently bought a Dell Inspiron with Vista. I am trying to add his
computer to our home network. His computer shows that he is connected, but
message says cannot connect to internet. Help!
Mick Murphy

RE: Laptop-no internet connection
Post details on how you have set it up on the network.
No info, no help!

"Jenz0321" wrote:

> My son recently bought a Dell Inspiron with Vista. I am trying to add his
> computer to our home network. His computer shows that he is connected, but
> message says cannot connect to internet. Help!

David

Jenz0321 wrote:
> My son recently bought a Dell Inspiron with Vista. I am trying to add his
> computer to our home network. His computer shows that he is connected, but
> message says cannot connect to internet. Help!

try the "diagnose and repair" feature, found by right clicking the
connection icon in the system tray. sometimes that's all that's needed
to get vista connected to the internet.

Dave
Jenz0321

RE: Laptop-no internet connection
Network is set up using computer with XP as host (has DSL modem, SBC as
internet provider and a router). Set up network the way I have in past with
son's other computer - add computer to network, save settings to USB drive
and put USB drive into laptop. Laptop is showing network connection but not
internet connection.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Post details on how you have set it up on the network.
> No info, no help!
>
> "Jenz0321" wrote:
>
> > My son recently bought a Dell Inspiron with Vista. I am trying to add his
> > computer to our home network. His computer shows that he is connected, but
> > message says cannot connect to internet. Help!

kevin from ohs

Re: Laptop-no internet connection
i have the same problem of connecting to the wireless router at home and at
school but there is a red x between my router and the internet icon on the
network and sharing center window. also, the "access" reads "local only".
it used to work a week ago and i installed a sony mp3 player software and i
think after that it has not worked since. i have since uninstalled the sony
mp3 program. i did get a trojan horse message from my virus softtware and i
deleted the file as recommended. i think the file was svchost.exe, i
think!!!!! i tried to do a system restore but no luck.

thanks in advance for any help!!!

"David" wrote:

> Jenz0321 wrote:
> > My son recently bought a Dell Inspiron with Vista. I am trying to add his
> > computer to our home network. His computer shows that he is connected, but
> > message says cannot connect to internet. Help!
> >

> try the "diagnose and repair" feature, found by right clicking the
> connection icon in the system tray. sometimes that's all that's needed
> to get vista connected to the internet.
>
> Dave

Mymy

Re: Laptop-no internet connection
On Sep 13, 3:28 am, kevin from ohs
<kevinfrom...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> i have the same problem of connecting to the wireless router at home and at
> school but there is a red x between my router and the internet icon on the
> network and sharing center window. also, the "access" reads "local only".
> it used to work a week ago and i installed a sony mp3 player software and i
> think after that it has not worked since. i have since uninstalled the sony
> mp3 program. i did get a trojan horse message from my virus softtware and i
> deleted the file as recommended. i think the file was svchost.exe, i
> think!!!!! i tried to do a system restore but no luck.
>
> thanks in advance for any help!!!
>
> "David" wrote:
> > Jenz0321 wrote:
> > > My son recently bought a Dell Inspiron with Vista. I am trying to add his
> > > computer to our home network. His computer shows that he is connected, but
> > > message says cannot connect to internet. Help!

> > try the "diagnose and repair" feature, found by right clicking the
> > connection icon in the system tray. sometimes that's all that's needed
> > to get vista connected to the internet.

> > Dave

Maybe my post is your solution, have a look at this address:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5fe1881 68bf4

Good luck,

Mymy

kevin from ohs

Re: Laptop-no internet connection
thanks mymy. unfortunately, it did not solve the problem. i ended up
restoring the factory defaults and reinstalled everything. luckily i have
only had the laptop for a month and i had a recent backup so i am off and
running again. thanks for your help, you smart people are a great resource
to the rest of the world. happy days!!!