Over 3,000 MB of RAM Diables Wireless Communications

DottieP

Over 3,000 MB of RAM Diables Wireless Communications
I have Vista Ultimate (32 bit) installed on an ACER 9410 Notebook (Core Duo
Processor). I purchased 4 GB of RAM and was NOT surprised to see just over 3
GB. What was a surprise is that anything over 3 GB of RAM disables the
wireless communications, both built-in and external wireless adapter. The
company I bought the RAM from sent me a 1 GB chip which, added to the 2 GB
chip give me approx. 3,062 MB of RAM - just enough to knock out the wireless.
When I install a 2 GB chip and a 512K chip, the resulting 2.660 GB of RAM
does NOT conflict with the wireless.

A friend has heard of this problem and seems to think it's fairly common
knowledge but I can't find anything on the internet about it.

I realize from reading other posts I can never get 4 GB but is there a fix
or workaround so that I can install the max. 3GB (which registers more than
3,000 MB) and have wireless, too?
Bob J

RE: Over 3,000 MB of RAM Diables Wireless Communications
I have no idea where you got the info that if you have over 3gb of RAM memory
you lose wireless, it is not mentioned anywhere that I know off, (then I may
be wrong).
I have 2 pcs with 3gb or more of memory and wireless connection.
If you are having connection problems it is unlikely related to the amount
of memory you have.
Are you connected with a router and what type of internet connection do you
have cable, ADSL or wireless.
Are you trying to connect 2 PCs & which OS, Vista, XP or!!!!!!
Describe what you wish to do?
--
Regards
Bob J

"DottieP" wrote:

> I have Vista Ultimate (32 bit) installed on an ACER 9410 Notebook (Core Duo
> Processor). I purchased 4 GB of RAM and was NOT surprised to see just over 3
> GB. What was a surprise is that anything over 3 GB of RAM disables the
> wireless communications, both built-in and external wireless adapter. The
> company I bought the RAM from sent me a 1 GB chip which, added to the 2 GB
> chip give me approx. 3,062 MB of RAM - just enough to knock out the wireless.
> When I install a 2 GB chip and a 512K chip, the resulting 2.660 GB of RAM
> does NOT conflict with the wireless.
>
> A friend has heard of this problem and seems to think it's fairly common
> knowledge but I can't find anything on the internet about it.
>
> I realize from reading other posts I can never get 4 GB but is there a fix
> or workaround so that I can install the max. 3GB (which registers more than
> 3,000 MB) and have wireless, too?

DottieP

RE: Over 3,000 MB of RAM Disables Wireless Communications
Dear Bob,

Thanks for your reply.

I have 3 PC's, 2 connected via ethernet to a Netgear router which in turn is
connected to a cable modem for broadband connection. These 2 PC's have XP
SP2 and since they're wired, I have no issue with them.

The notebook PC, running Vista Ultimate, is what's giving me the problem.
I'm wondering if it's the combination of Vista and the processor that may
have an issue with 3 GB. My Acer Aspire 9410-4441 has an Intel Centrino Core
Duo processor. When I had 4 Gb of RAM installed, it only registered as
slightly over 3GB and no wireless. (As I said previously, I expected this
due to much information on this topic.) When I had 3 Gb of RAM installed, it
registered slightly over 3 Gb and no wireless. It's only when I drop below 3
Gb of RAM that the wireless works. This was true for both the internal
wireless and a network adapter card.

So, in my case, anything in excess of 3,000 Mb of RAM disables the wireless.
I've checked all the system information & diagnostics and even when the
wireless is not functioning, everything is said to be working properly.

Thank you,

DottieP

"Bob J" wrote:

> I have no idea where you got the info that if you have over 3gb of RAM memory
> you lose wireless, it is not mentioned anywhere that I know off, (then I may
> be wrong).
> I have 2 pcs with 3gb or more of memory and wireless connection.
> If you are having connection problems it is unlikely related to the amount
> of memory you have.
> Are you connected with a router and what type of internet connection do you
> have cable, ADSL or wireless.
> Are you trying to connect 2 PCs & which OS, Vista, XP or!!!!!!
> Describe what you wish to do?
> --
> Regards
> Bob J
> If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
> another source,post back & let us know.
> Then we all benefit.
>

> "DottieP" wrote:
>
> > I have Vista Ultimate (32 bit) installed on an ACER 9410 Notebook (Core Duo
> > Processor). I purchased 4 GB of RAM and was NOT surprised to see just over 3
> > GB. What was a surprise is that anything over 3 GB of RAM disables the
> > wireless communications, both built-in and external wireless adapter. The
> > company I bought the RAM from sent me a 1 GB chip which, added to the 2 GB
> > chip give me approx. 3,062 MB of RAM - just enough to knock out the wireless.
> > When I install a 2 GB chip and a 512K chip, the resulting 2.660 GB of RAM
> > does NOT conflict with the wireless.
> >
> > A friend has heard of this problem and seems to think it's fairly common
> > knowledge but I can't find anything on the internet about it.
> >
> > I realize from reading other posts I can never get 4 GB but is there a fix
> > or workaround so that I can install the max. 3GB (which registers more than
> > 3,000 MB) and have wireless, too?

Bob J

RE: Over 3,000 MB of RAM Diables Wireless Communications
Since contacting u I have attempted to investigate your problem and carried
out a full search of MS & various other contacts and have not found any info
regarding having more than 3gb RAM and losing wireless connection.
Personally I can not see how the amount of RAM affects a wireless
connection, unless it has something to do with the bios of your PC.
I will investigate more and let you know, results. One way or the other.
Unfortunately no answer at this time.
Suggest you repost with the details as you described in your last post,
maybe some of the computer guru's will come up with answer/ explanation.
I have setup many networks and not confronted this situation.
Unfortunately at this stage run with less than 3gb RAM
--

"DottieP" wrote:

> I have Vista Ultimate (32 bit) installed on an ACER 9410 Notebook (Core Duo
> Processor). I purchased 4 GB of RAM and was NOT surprised to see just over 3
> GB. What was a surprise is that anything over 3 GB of RAM disables the
> wireless communications, both built-in and external wireless adapter. The
> company I bought the RAM from sent me a 1 GB chip which, added to the 2 GB
> chip give me approx. 3,062 MB of RAM - just enough to knock out the wireless.
> When I install a 2 GB chip and a 512K chip, the resulting 2.660 GB of RAM
> does NOT conflict with the wireless.
>
> A friend has heard of this problem and seems to think it's fairly common
> knowledge but I can't find anything on the internet about it.
>
> I realize from reading other posts I can never get 4 GB but is there a fix
> or workaround so that I can install the max. 3GB (which registers more than
> 3,000 MB) and have wireless, too?

Barb Bowman

Re: Over 3,000 MB of RAM Diables Wireless Communications
Dottie,
exactly how is the wireless disabled? what shows in device manager?
what shows in ipconfig /all (please post the text output of ipconfig
/all run from an elevated command prompt here as a reply). what
internal adapter? what EXTERNAL adapter?

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:42:00 -0700, DottieP
<DottieP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have Vista Ultimate (32 bit) installed on an ACER 9410 Notebook (Core Duo
>Processor). I purchased 4 GB of RAM and was NOT surprised to see just over 3
>GB. What was a surprise is that anything over 3 GB of RAM disables the
>wireless communications, both built-in and external wireless adapter. The
>company I bought the RAM from sent me a 1 GB chip which, added to the 2 GB
>chip give me approx. 3,062 MB of RAM - just enough to knock out the wireless.
> When I install a 2 GB chip and a 512K chip, the resulting 2.660 GB of RAM
>does NOT conflict with the wireless.
>
>A friend has heard of this problem and seems to think it's fairly common
>knowledge but I can't find anything on the internet about it.
>
>I realize from reading other posts I can never get 4 GB but is there a fix
>or workaround so that I can install the max. 3GB (which registers more than
>3,000 MB) and have wireless, too?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
DottieP

RE: Over 3,000 MB of RAM Diables Wireless Communications
Dear Bob,

Thanks for all of your efforts. I too, did an extensive search with the
same result as you.

I did return the extra RAM chips so now, if a solution is found, I'll need
to buy them again, which is not out of the question.

I'm still researching this and will add to this post if I learn anything new.

Thank you,
DottieP

"Bob J" wrote:

> Since contacting u I have attempted to investigate your problem and carried
> out a full search of MS & various other contacts and have not found any info
> regarding having more than 3gb RAM and losing wireless connection.
> Personally I can not see how the amount of RAM affects a wireless
> connection, unless it has something to do with the bios of your PC.
> I will investigate more and let you know, results. One way or the other.
> Unfortunately no answer at this time.
> Suggest you repost with the details as you described in your last post,
> maybe some of the computer guru's will come up with answer/ explanation.
> I have setup many networks and not confronted this situation.
> Unfortunately at this stage run with less than 3gb RAM
> --
> Regards
> Bob J
> If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
> another source,post back & let us know.
> Then we all benefit.
>

> "DottieP" wrote:
>
> > I have Vista Ultimate (32 bit) installed on an ACER 9410 Notebook (Core Duo
> > Processor). I purchased 4 GB of RAM and was NOT surprised to see just over 3
> > GB. What was a surprise is that anything over 3 GB of RAM disables the
> > wireless communications, both built-in and external wireless adapter. The
> > company I bought the RAM from sent me a 1 GB chip which, added to the 2 GB
> > chip give me approx. 3,062 MB of RAM - just enough to knock out the wireless.
> > When I install a 2 GB chip and a 512K chip, the resulting 2.660 GB of RAM
> > does NOT conflict with the wireless.
> >
> > A friend has heard of this problem and seems to think it's fairly common
> > knowledge but I can't find anything on the internet about it.
> >
> > I realize from reading other posts I can never get 4 GB but is there a fix
> > or workaround so that I can install the max. 3GB (which registers more than
> > 3,000 MB) and have wireless, too?

DottieP

Re: Over 3,000 MB of RAM Diables Wireless Communications
Dear Barb,

With anything over 3,000 Mb of RAM, it acts as though there are no internal
wireless capabilities and the ethernet cable is unplugged, yet when I go to
device manager, it says everything is working correctly. I also inserted a
wireless adapter and it acted as if the port was not functioning - no power
to the adapter and no wireless. The network icon in the systray has a red X
and I get a message that I'm not connected to the internet.

The ipconfig/all is copied below.
Internal adapter is:
Intel (R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABg Network Connection
Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
External Adapter is:
Netgear WG511 54 Mbps 2.4 GHz 802.11g
The external adapter works fine as long as the RAM in less than 3,000 Mb in
the Acer and it also works fine in an IBM laptop.
Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU T2350 @ 1.86 GHz
Chipset:
Intel955XM/945GM/PM/GMS/940GML

I have since returned the extra RAM chips to the vendor for a refund. If a
fix is found for this, I'll need to buy a 1 Gb chip again to test the
solution.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
DottieP
Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\USERS\DOTTIE>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Dottie-notebook
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Nortel IPSECSHM Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-42-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::dce9:60bd:4a86:791e%11(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network
Con
nection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-D2-75-4E-BE
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::916a:2251:daaa:bf86%8(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September 13, 2007 6:41:27 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 14, 2007 6:41:26 PM
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 134224338
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . :
00-01-00-01-0D-C8-55-E7-00-16-D3-53-C1-B8

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::916a:2251:daaa:bf86%8
192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E
Gigabit
Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-D3-53-C1-B8
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection*:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
isatap.{4CBDD5DC-DDDD-479C-8F50-C503EFE31
0DE}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 8:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
isatap.{72E774BD-2FE3-447A-85FE-F3944B8DC
684}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.4%17(Preferred)
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::916a:2251:daaa:bf86%8
192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
isatap.{0B445639-B454-43BF-A2FB-49D9E835E
9DB}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

C:\USERS\DOTTIE>

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> Dottie,
> exactly how is the wireless disabled? what shows in device manager?
> what shows in ipconfig /all (please post the text output of ipconfig
> /all run from an elevated command prompt here as a reply). what
> internal adapter? what EXTERNAL adapter?
>
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:42:00 -0700, DottieP
> <DottieP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have Vista Ultimate (32 bit) installed on an ACER 9410 Notebook (Core Duo
> >Processor). I purchased 4 GB of RAM and was NOT surprised to see just over 3
> >GB. What was a surprise is that anything over 3 GB of RAM disables the
> >wireless communications, both built-in and external wireless adapter. The
> >company I bought the RAM from sent me a 1 GB chip which, added to the 2 GB
> >chip give me approx. 3,062 MB of RAM - just enough to knock out the wireless.
> > When I install a 2 GB chip and a 512K chip, the resulting 2.660 GB of RAM
> >does NOT conflict with the wireless.
> >
> >A friend has heard of this problem and seems to think it's fairly common
> >knowledge but I can't find anything on the internet about it.
> >
> >I realize from reading other posts I can never get 4 GB but is there a fix
> >or workaround so that I can install the max. 3GB (which registers more than
> >3,000 MB) and have wireless, too?

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

DottieP

Re: Over 3,000 MB of RAM Diables Wireless Communications
Dear Bob & Barb,

I just spoke to the friend who is familiar with the problem I'm
experiencing. He says Windows overlays the address space of most I/O
devices. Windows loads memory from the top down and the I/O devices have
high physical addresses.

Hopefully that will mean something to you. I don't understand why
increasing the RAM (over 3 Gb) will cause the problem. Wouldn't it be a
problem at < 3 Gb too if what I wrote above is correct?

He also said it's not a good idea to put a 2 GB and a 512 Mb chip in
together. I've read that the chips should be the same but the company I
bought the RAM from suggested 2 Gb + 1 Gb to give me the maximum of 3 Gb, so
I thought perhaps that's no longer a problem. My system doesn't run that
great with only 2 GB so I'd like to try and max out the RAM (and have
wireless, too).

Thank you,

DottieP

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> Dottie,
> exactly how is the wireless disabled? what shows in device manager?
> what shows in ipconfig /all (please post the text output of ipconfig
> /all run from an elevated command prompt here as a reply). what
> internal adapter? what EXTERNAL adapter?
>
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:42:00 -0700, DottieP
> <DottieP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have Vista Ultimate (32 bit) installed on an ACER 9410 Notebook (Core Duo
> >Processor). I purchased 4 GB of RAM and was NOT surprised to see just over 3
> >GB. What was a surprise is that anything over 3 GB of RAM disables the
> >wireless communications, both built-in and external wireless adapter. The
> >company I bought the RAM from sent me a 1 GB chip which, added to the 2 GB
> >chip give me approx. 3,062 MB of RAM - just enough to knock out the wireless.
> > When I install a 2 GB chip and a 512K chip, the resulting 2.660 GB of RAM
> >does NOT conflict with the wireless.
> >
> >A friend has heard of this problem and seems to think it's fairly common
> >knowledge but I can't find anything on the internet about it.
> >
> >I realize from reading other posts I can never get 4 GB but is there a fix
> >or workaround so that I can install the max. 3GB (which registers more than
> >3,000 MB) and have wireless, too?

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Michael

Re: Over 3,000 MB of RAM Diables Wireless Communications
If you would like to be even more confused....

In device manager, View / resources by connection and show hidden devices.
expand Memory item

you will see the resources (reserved addresses, mostly hardware or hardware
emulation)
values 00000000 - 7fffffff are the first 2 GB of memory space, there are
pieces reserved for hardware in here on historical basis for compatibility.

values 80000000 - bffffffff are the next (third) GB of space

values C00000000 - ffffffff are the next (fourth) GB of space

I have only 2GB memory installed, hardware starts showing up at C00000000 -
Cffffffff which is my video card
D8000000 - Dbffffff is my TV tuner
and stuff continues

Based on this if I was to add a third GB of memory then I would be OK as my
hardware doesn't start showing up until C00000000 the fourth GB.

If you show hardware installed in the third GB (800000000 - bffffffff) then
you will have problems as the system tries to map both the hardware and the
memory to the same address space.

You can check to see if any hardware that is allocated in the third GB is
being forced there rather than letting Vista assign the addresses.

I don't have any where near your hardware configuration so I cannot give you
much more advise on just what your addressing should be.

Michael

"DottieP" <DottieP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear Bob & Barb,
>
> I just spoke to the friend who is familiar with the problem I'm
> experiencing. He says Windows overlays the address space of most I/O
> devices. Windows loads memory from the top down and the I/O devices have
> high physical addresses.
>
> Hopefully that will mean something to you. I don't understand why
> increasing the RAM (over 3 Gb) will cause the problem. Wouldn't it be a
> problem at < 3 Gb too if what I wrote above is correct?
>
> He also said it's not a good idea to put a 2 GB and a 512 Mb chip in
> together. I've read that the chips should be the same but the company I
> bought the RAM from suggested 2 Gb + 1 Gb to give me the maximum of 3 Gb,
> so
> I thought perhaps that's no longer a problem. My system doesn't run that
> great with only 2 GB so I'd like to try and max out the RAM (and have
> wireless, too).
>
> Thank you,
>
> DottieP
>
> "Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> Dottie,
>> exactly how is the wireless disabled? what shows in device manager?
>> what shows in ipconfig /all (please post the text output of ipconfig
>> /all run from an elevated command prompt here as a reply). what
>> internal adapter? what EXTERNAL adapter?
>>
>> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:42:00 -0700, DottieP
>> <DottieP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have Vista Ultimate (32 bit) installed on an ACER 9410 Notebook (Core
>> >Duo
>> >Processor). I purchased 4 GB of RAM and was NOT surprised to see just
>> >over 3
>> >GB. What was a surprise is that anything over 3 GB of RAM disables the
>> >wireless communications, both built-in and external wireless adapter.
>> >The
>> >company I bought the RAM from sent me a 1 GB chip which, added to the 2
>> >GB
>> >chip give me approx. 3,062 MB of RAM - just enough to knock out the
>> >wireless.
>> > When I install a 2 GB chip and a 512K chip, the resulting 2.660 GB of
>> > RAM
>> >does NOT conflict with the wireless.
>> >
>> >A friend has heard of this problem and seems to think it's fairly common
>> >knowledge but I can't find anything on the internet about it.
>> >
>> >I realize from reading other posts I can never get 4 GB but is there a
>> >fix
>> >or workaround so that I can install the max. 3GB (which registers more
>> >than
>> >3,000 MB) and have wireless, too?

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Over 3,000 MB of RAM Diables Wireless Communications
where did you buy the RAM chips? what kind of RAM? which Intel
driver for the 3945 do you have? see
ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/note...vista/Drivers/
for one dated 6/8/07.

BTW, I see the Nortel VPN client is installed. I've read that this
VPN client is still not perfect. It might be worth uninstalling it
and rebooting to have a good base to work from.

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:34:00 -0700, DottieP

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP