"wireless authentication failed because of a timeout"

Dan

"wireless authentication failed because of a timeout"
Trying to connect my new Acer laptop running Vista home premium to the
internet via wireless connection (router WPA).
and getting the following error message "wireless authentication failed
because of a timeout"
works okay if i plug it in direct to the router, my old laptop works okay
running on XP!!
have downloaded all the latest update for Vista.
any other ideas?
--
Cheers
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: "wireless authentication failed because of a timeout"
It could be security settings issue. Try switch from AES to TKIP or to WEP. Please post back with the result.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D9F4AA0-8C1C-4A1D-B007-3C959CF23C39@microsoft.com...
Trying to connect my new Acer laptop running Vista home premium to the
internet via wireless connection (router WPA).
and getting the following error message "wireless authentication failed
because of a timeout"
works okay if i plug it in direct to the router, my old laptop works okay
running on XP!!
have downloaded all the latest update for Vista.
any other ideas?
--
Cheers
Dan

Re: "wireless authentication failed because of a timeout"
have the setting as TKIP already. Changing to AES or WEP doent let me even
try to connect so i know TKIP is the correct setting.
--
Cheers

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> It could be security settings issue. Try switch from AES to TKIP or to WEP. Please post back with the result.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D9F4AA0-8C1C-4A1D-B007-3C959CF23C39@microsoft.com...
> Trying to connect my new Acer laptop running Vista home premium to the
> internet via wireless connection (router WPA).
> and getting the following error message "wireless authentication failed
> because of a timeout"
> works okay if i plug it in direct to the router, my old laptop works okay
> running on XP!!
> have downloaded all the latest update for Vista.
> any other ideas?
> --
> Cheers

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: "wireless authentication failed because of a timeout"
For a test, does it work if you don't setup security?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5CE40B1E-CF85-485D-BDE9-1DD688194157@microsoft.com...
have the setting as TKIP already. Changing to AES or WEP doent let me even
try to connect so i know TKIP is the correct setting.
--
Cheers

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> It could be security settings issue. Try switch from AES to TKIP or to WEP. Please post back with the result.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D9F4AA0-8C1C-4A1D-B007-3C959CF23C39@microsoft.com...
> Trying to connect my new Acer laptop running Vista home premium to the
> internet via wireless connection (router WPA).
> and getting the following error message "wireless authentication failed
> because of a timeout"
> works okay if i plug it in direct to the router, my old laptop works okay
> running on XP!!
> have downloaded all the latest update for Vista.
> any other ideas?
> --
> Cheers

Dan

Re: "wireless authentication failed because of a timeout"
Yes, we have tried switching off encryption on the router and can connect
without any problems.

--
Cheers

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> For a test, does it work if you don't setup security?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5CE40B1E-CF85-485D-BDE9-1DD688194157@microsoft.com...
> have the setting as TKIP already. Changing to AES or WEP doent let me even
> try to connect so i know TKIP is the correct setting.
> --
> Cheers
>

> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > It could be security settings issue. Try switch from AES to TKIP or to WEP. Please post back with the result.
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D9F4AA0-8C1C-4A1D-B007-3C959CF23C39@microsoft.com...
> > Trying to connect my new Acer laptop running Vista home premium to the
> > internet via wireless connection (router WPA).
> > and getting the following error message "wireless authentication failed
> > because of a timeout"
> > works okay if i plug it in direct to the router, my old laptop works okay
> > running on XP!!
> > have downloaded all the latest update for Vista.
> > any other ideas?
> > --
> > Cheers

Barb Bowman

Re: "wireless authentication failed because of a timeout"
which router? do you have the latest firmware for it?
do you even get an IP?

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 04:38:00 -0700, Dan

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Dan

Re: "wireless authentication failed because of a timeout"
3com - no updates aval
not sure on your 'IP' question, we cant connect to the router when encrypted.
--
Cheers

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> which router? do you have the latest firmware for it?
> do you even get an IP?
>
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 04:38:00 -0700, Dan
> <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Trying to connect my new Acer laptop running Vista home premium to the
> >internet via wireless connection (router WPA).
> >and getting the following error message "wireless authentication failed
> >because of a timeout"
> >works okay if i plug it in direct to the router, my old laptop works okay
> >running on XP!!
> >have downloaded all the latest update for Vista.
> >any other ideas?

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: "wireless authentication failed because of a timeout"
what wireless NIC/radio and what driver version?

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:54:01 -0700, Dan
<Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>3com - no updates aval
>not sure on your 'IP' question, we cant connect to the router when encrypted.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Dan

Re: "wireless authentication failed because of a timeout"
I’m afraid that question is a bit too technical for me!

Here’s what I can tell you. The router is a 3com 3CRWDR100A-72. We’ve
installed the latest firmware available from the 3com site, dated 26 April
2007.

We’ve been using this set-up to access the Internet, with WPA-PSK encryption
between the router and any PCs connecting to it, for about 3 years, with no
problems at all. Both the PCs we’ve used until now have been running Windows
XP. With our existing laptop, it was a simple matter of scanning for wireless
networks in the vicinity and entering the necessary WPA passphrase, and the
laptop then logged on to the router automatically every time it was booted
up. The router automatically allocates an IP address to any machine
connecting to it.

The new machine, running Windows Vista, finds the router with no problem and
recognises that it’s a secure network. We try to connect and are asked for
the passphrase. We enter this, there is a pause, then Vista says that it is
unable to connect. When we ‘analyse the problem’, we are told “wireless
authentication failed because of a timeout”.

If we switch off the WPA encryption on the router and go through the same
process, Vista connects to the router and we are able to access the Internet.

Therefore, it seems clear that Vista is unable to handle some aspect of
communication with the router using WPA encryption. The router does not offer
WPA2 encryption, and obviously we don’t want to operate an unsecured network,
so we can’t see what alternative there is. This is a brand new laptop, with
Vista preinstalled, so we can’t understand why it fails to work with what is
obviously an extremely common set-up.

We’ve done some research on the Web and it appears that many people are
having exactly the same problem, but nobody seems to have a definitive
solution. We’ve updated the drivers for the wireless network card in the
laptop, with no effect. We’ve also tried the Microsoft Hotfix described in
KB935222, but that didn’t work either. We thought about trying the registry
change mentioned in KB928233, but decided that it wasn’t relevant, since we
can connect to the router without encryption, so the problem is not that
Vista can’t obtain an IP address from the router.

In short, we’re at a complete loss as to what else to do!

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> what wireless NIC/radio and what driver version?
>
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:54:01 -0700, Dan
> <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >3com - no updates aval
> >not sure on your 'IP' question, we cant connect to the router when encrypted.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: "wireless authentication failed because of a timeout"
I understand all of that, but you still need to provide some
information. It might be the driver. Or something else. If the
router is so old that it does not support WPA2, this is a symptom
that can mean that it is time to replace it.

First, please post the text results of ipconfig/all.

start
programs
accessories
command prompt (right click and select run as administrator and
acknowledge the prompt)

ipconfig /all [enter]

click the icon on the menubar on the left and then edit, select all
(it will turn white)

click the icon in the menubar again then edit, copy

this copies to the clipboard.
paste into a reply

second, type or paste the following into the start/search box

mmc devmgmt.msc

acknowledge the prompt

expand the Network Adapters
right click on the wireless adapter
select properties
select the driver tab
now copy down the information and post it in your reply.

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:40:01 -0700, Dan

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP