no connection

Ricardo Furtado

no connection
I've bought a laptop a couple of days with Windows Vista Premium and i
allready have a computer network at home with windows 98/xp/2000
When i connected the network cable to the new computer with windows vista,
the computer wasn't recognized on the network
Since then, i've changed the network from public to private and i've also
disabled the firewall in a desperate case of action
In the manual that came with the hp computer it said that to connect to a
wireless lan it was only necessary to connect the cable
all my other computers have dynamic ip's so i guessed that might be true
i can see, from my experience, that windows vista comes with a lot of
options and wizards to connect to wirelless networks but none to connect
wireless networks
But the problem is, that since the first day, till now, i'm having the same
problem, the computer doesn't have a connection and the led on the switch is
blinking
instead of being green and steady, so my guess is that or the network is not
well configured in windows vista, maybe some protocol or something that is
missing
or the network card is damaged.
Can someone help me?

My thaks in advanced

Ricardo Furtado
Bob J

RE: no connection
The links below may assist you
Regards
Bob J
If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
another source,post back & let us know.
Then we all benefit.

"Ricardo Furtado" wrote:

> I've bought a laptop a couple of days with Windows Vista Premium and i
> allready have a computer network at home with windows 98/xp/2000
> When i connected the network cable to the new computer with windows vista,
> the computer wasn't recognized on the network
> Since then, i've changed the network from public to private and i've also
> disabled the firewall in a desperate case of action
> In the manual that came with the hp computer it said that to connect to a
> wireless lan it was only necessary to connect the cable
> all my other computers have dynamic ip's so i guessed that might be true
> i can see, from my experience, that windows vista comes with a lot of
> options and wizards to connect to wirelless networks but none to connect
> wireless networks
> But the problem is, that since the first day, till now, i'm having the same
> problem, the computer doesn't have a connection and the led on the switch is
> blinking
> instead of being green and steady, so my guess is that or the network is not
> well configured in windows vista, maybe some protocol or something that is
> missing
> or the network card is damaged.
> Can someone help me?
>
> My thaks in advanced
>
> Ricardo Furtado

Bob J

RE: no connection

Additional info >
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...7e35f1033.mspx
--

"Ricardo Furtado" wrote:

> I've bought a laptop a couple of days with Windows Vista Premium and i
> allready have a computer network at home with windows 98/xp/2000
> When i connected the network cable to the new computer with windows vista,
> the computer wasn't recognized on the network
> Since then, i've changed the network from public to private and i've also
> disabled the firewall in a desperate case of action
> In the manual that came with the hp computer it said that to connect to a
> wireless lan it was only necessary to connect the cable
> all my other computers have dynamic ip's so i guessed that might be true
> i can see, from my experience, that windows vista comes with a lot of
> options and wizards to connect to wirelless networks but none to connect
> wireless networks
> But the problem is, that since the first day, till now, i'm having the same
> problem, the computer doesn't have a connection and the led on the switch is
> blinking
> instead of being green and steady, so my guess is that or the network is not
> well configured in windows vista, maybe some protocol or something that is
> missing
> or the network card is damaged.
> Can someone help me?
>
> My thaks in advanced
>
> Ricardo Furtado

Ricardo Furtado

RE: no connection
thank you for your answer

Just one thing i forget to tell:
the operating system states that the problem is that no network cable is
connected. I might guess that there may be a conflict between the wired and
the wireless netword cards. I'll also try to disconnect the wireless network
card. After i find the problem i'll post here the solution

Best regards

Ricardo Furtado

"Bob J" wrote:

> Additional info >
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...7e35f1033.mspx
> --
> Regards
> Bob J
> If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
> another source,post back & let us know.
> Then we all benefit.
>

> "Ricardo Furtado" wrote:
>
> > I've bought a laptop a couple of days with Windows Vista Premium and i
> > allready have a computer network at home with windows 98/xp/2000
> > When i connected the network cable to the new computer with windows vista,
> > the computer wasn't recognized on the network
> > Since then, i've changed the network from public to private and i've also
> > disabled the firewall in a desperate case of action
> > In the manual that came with the hp computer it said that to connect to a
> > wireless lan it was only necessary to connect the cable
> > all my other computers have dynamic ip's so i guessed that might be true
> > i can see, from my experience, that windows vista comes with a lot of
> > options and wizards to connect to wirelless networks but none to connect
> > wireless networks
> > But the problem is, that since the first day, till now, i'm having the same
> > problem, the computer doesn't have a connection and the led on the switch is
> > blinking
> > instead of being green and steady, so my guess is that or the network is not
> > well configured in windows vista, maybe some protocol or something that is
> > missing
> > or the network card is damaged.
> > Can someone help me?
> >
> > My thaks in advanced
> >
> > Ricardo Furtado

Ricardo Furtado

RE: no connection
The problem was the switch that didn't supported a gigabit connection