Unidentified Network while using network bridge

pacmanwu

Unidentified Network while using network bridge
So I have a laptop w/ wireless (using XP Professional) and a desktop (using
Vista Ultimate). My laptop connects to my router thru wireless, and it
connects to my desktop thru a ethernet cable. I bridged my wireless and
ethernet connection on my laptop in order to connect my desktop to internet
wirelessly. This method works fine for several weeks, until one day it
suddenly stops working. No matter how I disconnect and reconnect everything,
reset my router, disable/re-enable network adaptor, the desktop still showing
me that it has connected to a unidentified network (public) with local area
connection (sometimes it showed limited connection as well). However,
sometimes my desktop has 2 connections: one is unidentified and another one
is the normal connection I would get if I successfully connected to the
internet. During this situation, even though my desktop can't connect to the
internet, I have access to my router.

I have tried my best to describe the situation, I sincerely hope that
someone could help me here.

p.s.: my laptop could access internet thru wireless normally
Bob J

RE: Unidentified Network while using network bridge
What firewall/av are you using?
--
Regards
Bob J

"pacmanwu" wrote:

> So I have a laptop w/ wireless (using XP Professional) and a desktop (using
> Vista Ultimate). My laptop connects to my router thru wireless, and it
> connects to my desktop thru a ethernet cable. I bridged my wireless and
> ethernet connection on my laptop in order to connect my desktop to internet
> wirelessly. This method works fine for several weeks, until one day it
> suddenly stops working. No matter how I disconnect and reconnect everything,
> reset my router, disable/re-enable network adaptor, the desktop still showing
> me that it has connected to a unidentified network (public) with local area
> connection (sometimes it showed limited connection as well). However,
> sometimes my desktop has 2 connections: one is unidentified and another one
> is the normal connection I would get if I successfully connected to the
> internet. During this situation, even though my desktop can't connect to the
> internet, I have access to my router.
>
> I have tried my best to describe the situation, I sincerely hope that
> someone could help me here.
>
> p.s.: my laptop could access internet thru wireless normally

Bob J

RE: Unidentified Network while using network bridge
What firewall/av are you using on all PCs?
--

"pacmanwu" wrote:

> So I have a laptop w/ wireless (using XP Professional) and a desktop (using
> Vista Ultimate). My laptop connects to my router thru wireless, and it
> connects to my desktop thru a ethernet cable. I bridged my wireless and
> ethernet connection on my laptop in order to connect my desktop to internet
> wirelessly. This method works fine for several weeks, until one day it
> suddenly stops working. No matter how I disconnect and reconnect everything,
> reset my router, disable/re-enable network adaptor, the desktop still showing
> me that it has connected to a unidentified network (public) with local area
> connection (sometimes it showed limited connection as well). However,
> sometimes my desktop has 2 connections: one is unidentified and another one
> is the normal connection I would get if I successfully connected to the
> internet. During this situation, even though my desktop can't connect to the
> internet, I have access to my router.
>
> I have tried my best to describe the situation, I sincerely hope that
> someone could help me here.
>
> p.s.: my laptop could access internet thru wireless normally

pacmanwu

RE: Unidentified Network while using network bridge
my laptop is using Kaspersky Internet Security (turned off Window Firewall)
while my desktop is using Kaspersky Antivirus (Window Firewall is on)

"Bob J" wrote:

> What firewall/av are you using on all PCs?
> --
> Regards
> Bob J
> If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
> another source,post back & let us know.
> Then we all benefit.
>

> "pacmanwu" wrote:
>
> > So I have a laptop w/ wireless (using XP Professional) and a desktop (using
> > Vista Ultimate). My laptop connects to my router thru wireless, and it
> > connects to my desktop thru a ethernet cable. I bridged my wireless and
> > ethernet connection on my laptop in order to connect my desktop to internet
> > wirelessly. This method works fine for several weeks, until one day it
> > suddenly stops working. No matter how I disconnect and reconnect everything,
> > reset my router, disable/re-enable network adaptor, the desktop still showing
> > me that it has connected to a unidentified network (public) with local area
> > connection (sometimes it showed limited connection as well). However,
> > sometimes my desktop has 2 connections: one is unidentified and another one
> > is the normal connection I would get if I successfully connected to the
> > internet. During this situation, even though my desktop can't connect to the
> > internet, I have access to my router.
> >
> > I have tried my best to describe the situation, I sincerely hope that
> > someone could help me here.
> >
> > p.s.: my laptop could access internet thru wireless normally

Bob J

RE: Unidentified Network while using network bridge
I should have explained in first post, I have same setup and had Trend
firewall connected on both machines once I disabled Trend & used MS firewall
only (both PCs) and all other setting correct everything connected no
problems since (10 mths ago)
Below are some sites that will assist to get connections correct:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa905087.aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/914440/en-us

"pacmanwu" wrote:

> So I have a laptop w/ wireless (using XP Professional) and a desktop (using
> Vista Ultimate). My laptop connects to my router thru wireless, and it
> connects to my desktop thru a ethernet cable. I bridged my wireless and
> ethernet connection on my laptop in order to connect my desktop to internet
> wirelessly. This method works fine for several weeks, until one day it
> suddenly stops working. No matter how I disconnect and reconnect everything,
> reset my router, disable/re-enable network adaptor, the desktop still showing
> me that it has connected to a unidentified network (public) with local area
> connection (sometimes it showed limited connection as well). However,
> sometimes my desktop has 2 connections: one is unidentified and another one
> is the normal connection I would get if I successfully connected to the
> internet. During this situation, even though my desktop can't connect to the
> internet, I have access to my router.
>
> I have tried my best to describe the situation, I sincerely hope that
> someone could help me here.
>
> p.s.: my laptop could access internet thru wireless normally

pacmanwu

RE: Unidentified Network while using network bridge
I did try to disable the 3rd party firewall and use MS firewall, but nothing
changed.
Thanks for all the links, but I don't think they could solve my problem.
Since I didn't change any setting, and I my desktop was able to connect to
internet wirelessly b4, so I don't think it's the problem of the setting.

Also, I just discovered that the CAT-5e cable I'm using is a straight cable,
which is not supposed to use to connect 2 computers together. However, most
of the network adapters nowadays can do the crossover data automatically even
if the cable is a straight one (that's what I read from wiki). So is it
possible that this problem occurs because the network adapters' data
crossover ability is broken?
Even so, it still doesn't explain why my desktop is still able to connect to
the router, but can't connect to the internet.