Third party firewall killing my Internet connection

JJ

Third party firewall killing my Internet connection
I've experienced this with two different commercial firewall products.

I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I first bought Trend Micro
PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 and installed it on the Vista PC. After
heavy use for a couple of days, my Internet connection got killed. I was
surfing the Web, and when I clicked on a hyperlink IE said it can't display
the page. Nothing I could do would fix the problem, including resetting my
network adapter, renewing the IP address, etc. So, I reformatted my drive and
reinstalled Vista and the Trend Micro product. After a couple of days of
heavy use, same problem again - my internet connection got killed. This time
I called up my ISP who performed some tests and said there was nothing wrong
with my modem and that it was some software component that was the culprit,
which made me think of the Trend Micro product. So, I uninstalled the Trend
Micro product - which requires a reboot. I then enabled Windows Firewall and
all of a sudden I can surf the Web and do all the things I wanted to do on
the Internet. I then reinstalled the Trend Micro product considering how
insufficient Windows Firewall is. After a couple of days of heavy use, same
problem again - my Internet connection got killed. Now, all the while this
was going on, the Trend Micro product was giving me other problems. It would
complain that I've reached some limit with it's firewall, or more
specifically - "You have reached the maximum number of security addendums
...." - I forget the rest of the message. I had been in touch with Trend Micro
support when I first got this message who advised me to switch to another
security profile with the firewall. If you're a PC-cillin user you would know
what I'm talking about here. Switching to another security profile still did
not fix the firewall limit problem - the message would pop up intermittently
and I wouldn't be able to add new rules to the firewall. Coupled with this
and my Internet connection getting killed the third time, I had had enough
with the Trend Micro product. I returned it for a full refund.

I then purchased Symantec Norton Internet Security 2008 (note - not 2007)
and installed it. After a couple of days of heavy use, same problem again -
my Internet connection got killed. I uninstalled the Symantec product - which
requires a reboot - and enabled Windows Firewall and then I could connect to
the Internet. I then reinstalled the Symantec product. After a while, same
story again - my Internet connection got killed. The second time this has
happened with the Symantec product, I got another message from Vista - about
some Layered Service Provider not functioning and an option to remove that
component, which I did. That did not help. I had to uninstall and reinstall
the Symantec product. Now I have an Internet connection with the Symantec
product installed - although I don't know for how long.

Now, since the Trend Micro product and the Symantec product have both
exhibited this behavior, I'm now thinking this could be problem in Vista. Is
this a known issue?

Thanks.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Third party firewall killing my Internet connection
You may need to configure firewall and add subnet, IP or ports. These links may help,

Vista and Firewall IssuesVista Firewall and Security Issues ... Then I went to the network page and after it displayed the Vista Machine as the .. ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistafirewall.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"JJ" <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C621B96-A872-4964-9415-A4C9BBE83456@microsoft.com...
[...]

Mick Murphy

Re: Third party firewall killing my Internet connection
Trend Micro and Symantec have had a prob with XP, not just Vista, since last
year.
Have a look in the user profiles firewall exceptions list(edit) of which
ever one you are using. You will find that they stop essential windows
services from connectiong.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> [...]
> my Internet connection got killed. I uninstalled the Symantec product - which
> requires a reboot - and enabled Windows Firewall and then I could connect to
> the Internet. I then reinstalled the Symantec product. After a while, same
> story again - my Internet connection got killed. The second time this has
> happened with the Symantec product, I got another message from Vista - about
> some Layered Service Provider not functioning and an option to remove that
> component, which I did. That did not help. I had to uninstall and reinstall
> the Symantec product. Now I have an Internet connection with the Symantec
> product installed - although I don't know for how long.
>
> Now, since the Trend Micro product and the Symantec product have both
> exhibited this behavior, I'm now thinking this could be problem in Vista. Is

Bob J

Re: Third party firewall killing my Internet connection
No it is not a Vista issue (as such) I used Trend for for the last 4-5 yrs on
XP on three PC connected and had no problems,.
When I got a Vista PC and installed Trend firewall/AV although it worked OK
I had disconnection problems occasionally, so I uninstalled Trend from all
PC's and
used Vista/XP firewalls & Avast AV, I have had no problems at all, (about
9/10 mths ago)
Once uninstalled Trend everything connected nearly automatically.
Configuring Trend was a hassle, Trend & Symantec have not modified their
setup correctly for Vista.

--
Regards
Bob J

> [...]

> my Internet connection got killed. I uninstalled the Symantec product - which
> requires a reboot - and enabled Windows Firewall and then I could connect to
> the Internet. I then reinstalled the Symantec product. After a while, same
> story again - my Internet connection got killed. The second time this has
> happened with the Symantec product, I got another message from Vista - about
> some Layered Service Provider not functioning and an option to remove that
> component, which I did. That did not help. I had to uninstall and reinstall
> the Symantec product. Now I have an Internet connection with the Symantec
> product installed - although I don't know for how long.
>
> Now, since the Trend Micro product and the Symantec product have both
> exhibited this behavior, I'm now thinking this could be problem in Vista. Is

JJ

Re: Third party firewall killing my Internet connection
Robert:

None of the links on the page at the hyperlink you posted describes why
Vista's Internet connection gets killed. Or am I missing something?

My Internet connection gets killed every couple of days and I have to
unistall NIS 2008 and reinstall it for everything to work correctly.

Somebody, please help !!

Thanks.