Keeping a network share

Kevin

Keeping a network share
I have a users using Windows Vista Home Premium. Everytime they reboot, their
network share logs out, and they have to log back in to the share. I would
like it if it stuck after every reboot. Anyone have any sggestions on how to
keep it logged in?

Kevin
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Keeping a network share
Try these.

1. make sure the user has full control of the shared folder.
2. use UAC (user account control) tool to manage the password. To do that, please follow these steps.

a. Open User Accounts by opening control panel or type User Accounts in Start.
b. Click Manage your network passwords on the side menu.
c. Select Add to add the user or Edit if the user existing.
d. Check A Windows logon Credential in Credential type and click OK to save.

3. make sure "Reconnect at logon" is checked

If that doesn't work, try to create logon batch file to map the drive with persistent switch.

Logon script Example of VBScript - Mapping a network drive based on the group Example of batch file - make a network drive Where is logon script located ...
www.howtonetworking.com/logonscript.htm

Please post back with the result.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DE33C11-2B00-4D6D-8583-B316C0EEA6C9@microsoft.com...
I have a users using Windows Vista Home Premium. Everytime they reboot, their
network share logs out, and they have to log back in to the share. I would
like it if it stuck after every reboot. Anyone have any sggestions on how to
keep it logged in?

Kevin
Kevin

Re: Keeping a network share
Robert,

What if Windows logon Credential is greyed out beacuse it's Vista Home
Premium? At least that's the only reason I can think it's greyed out.

Kevin

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Try these.
>
> 1. make sure the user has full control of the shared folder.
> 2. use UAC (user account control) tool to manage the password. To do that, please follow these steps.
>
> a. Open User Accounts by opening control panel or type User Accounts in Start.
> b. Click Manage your network passwords on the side menu.
> c. Select Add to add the user or Edit if the user existing.
> d. Check A Windows logon Credential in Credential type and click OK to save.
>
> 3. make sure "Reconnect at logon" is checked
>
> If that doesn't work, try to create logon batch file to map the drive with persistent switch.
>
> Logon script Example of VBScript - Mapping a network drive based on the group Example of batch file - make a network drive Where is logon script located ...
> www.howtonetworking.com/logonscript.htm
>

> Please post back with the result.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DE33C11-2B00-4D6D-8583-B316C0EEA6C9@microsoft.com...
> I have a users using Windows Vista Home Premium. Everytime they reboot, their
> network share logs out, and they have to log back in to the share. I would
> like it if it stuck after every reboot. Anyone have any sggestions on how to
> keep it logged in?
>
> Kevin

GTS

Re: Keeping a network share
Unfortunately, that's normal with Home versions. One solution (with XP
Home) has been to run a batch file from startup. Although the same idea
applies for Vista, UAC blocks the batch from running from the startup
folder. It can be run from a shortcut on the desktop after startup.

net use X: \\server\sharename /USER: usernamme password
(drive letter optional)
__

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a users using Windows Vista Home Premium. Everytime they reboot,
>their
> network share logs out, and they have to log back in to the share. I would
> like it if it stuck after every reboot. Anyone have any sggestions on how
> keep it logged in?
>
> Kevin

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Keeping a network share
Check GTS' post.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85D8B48E-AFB9-4ABB-916D-32ADDF6DCAE6@microsoft.com...
Robert,

What if Windows logon Credential is greyed out beacuse it's Vista Home
Premium? At least that's the only reason I can think it's greyed out.

Kevin

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Try these.
>
> 1. make sure the user has full control of the shared folder.
> 2. use UAC (user account control) tool to manage the password. To do that, please follow these steps.
>
> a. Open User Accounts by opening control panel or type User Accounts in Start.
> b. Click Manage your network passwords on the side menu.
> c. Select Add to add the user or Edit if the user existing.
> d. Check A Windows logon Credential in Credential type and click OK to save.
>
> 3. make sure "Reconnect at logon" is checked
>
> If that doesn't work, try to create logon batch file to map the drive with persistent switch.
>
> Logon script Example of VBScript - Mapping a network drive based on the group Example of batch file - make a network drive Where is logon script located ...
> www.howtonetworking.com/logonscript.htm
>

> Please post back with the result.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DE33C11-2B00-4D6D-8583-B316C0EEA6C9@microsoft.com...
> I have a users using Windows Vista Home Premium. Everytime they reboot, their
> network share logs out, and they have to log back in to the share. I would
> like it if it stuck after every reboot. Anyone have any sggestions on how to
> keep it logged in?
>
> Kevin

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Keeping a network share
Thank you for the input.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"GTS" <x@y.net> wrote in message news:O3SW0aO9HHA.1900@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
Unfortunately, that's normal with Home versions. One solution (with XP
Home) has been to run a batch file from startup. Although the same idea
applies for Vista, UAC blocks the batch from running from the startup
folder. It can be run from a shortcut on the desktop after startup.

net use X: \\server\sharename /USER: usernamme password
(drive letter optional)
__

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a users using Windows Vista Home Premium. Everytime they reboot,
>their
> network share logs out, and they have to log back in to the share. I would
> like it if it stuck after every reboot. Anyone have any sggestions on how
> keep it logged in?
>
> Kevin

ckevin00@gmail.com

Re: Keeping a network share
You can also do this without batch files or plaintext passwords.
Create an account on the remote machine with the same username/
password Vista Home Premium logs on with, and Vista will automatically
map the shares at startup. I can confirm that this works for Vista
Home Premium trying to access shares on a Win2k machine.

On Sep 11, 10:43 pm, "GTS" <x...@y.net> wrote:
> Unfortunately, that's normal with Home versions. One solution (with XP
> Home) has been to run a batch file from startup. Although the same idea
> applies forVista, UAC blocks the batch from running from the startup
> folder. It can be run from a shortcut on the desktop after startup.
>
> net use X: \\server\sharename /USER: usernamme password
> (drive letter optional)
> __
>
> "Kevin" <Ke...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >I have a users using WindowsVistaHome Premium. Everytime they reboot,
> >their
> > network share logs out, and they have to log back in to the share. I would
> > like it if it stuck after every reboot. Anyone have any sggestions on how
> > keep it logged in?

> > Kevin- Hide quoted text -

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Keeping a network share