vista business wireless not detected

hm2k

vista business wireless not detected
i was using vista home premium and found that i couldnt connect to my works
infrastructure so i updated to vista business and i still cannot pick up any
wireless access points, even though all the other laptops connect fine. i can
pick up wireless routers for home internet connections no problem but
wireless access points for a network is a no go and i have tried all i can
think of. if anyone has any ideas of a solution to this it would be greatly
appreciated.
cheers.
Barb Bowman

Re: vista business wireless not detected
could be that the company you work for is not broadcasting SSIDs.
you probably should start by asking the folks that run these
wireless networks (IT personnel, network admins). they probably have
security settings you would need as well.

(not exactly sure what you mean by "my works infrastructure" and
have interpreted it to mean the wireless network run at your place
of business. if this is not the case, please post more information.)

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
hm2k

Re: vista business wireless not detected
yes im talking about the wireless network in regards to infrastructure, the
wireless routers are broadcasting SSIDs and as far as i can tell there should
be no reason why vista isn't picking them up. i have all the security
settings as i am one of the technicians that looks after the network.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> could be that the company you work for is not broadcasting SSIDs.
> you probably should start by asking the folks that run these
> wireless networks (IT personnel, network admins). they probably have
> security settings you would need as well.
>
> (not exactly sure what you mean by "my works infrastructure" and
> have interpreted it to mean the wireless network run at your place
> of business. if this is not the case, please post more information.)
>
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 07:38:04 -0700, hm2k
> <hm2k@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >i was using vista home premium and found that i couldnt connect to my works
> >infrastructure so i updated to vista business and i still cannot pick up any
> >wireless access points, even though all the other laptops connect fine. i can
> >pick up wireless routers for home internet connections no problem but
> >wireless access points for a network is a no go and i have tried all i can
> >think of. if anyone has any ideas of a solution to this it would be greatly
> >appreciated.
> >cheers.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: vista business wireless not detected
post an ipconfig /all from an afflicted computer.

what brand and model AP and router? do they have the latest
firmware? do you have the latest drivers for the wireless NICs?
(brand and model of NIC and driver version?)

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 00:48:02 -0700, hm2k
<hm2k@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>yes im talking about the wireless network in regards to infrastructure, the
>wireless routers are broadcasting SSIDs and as far as i can tell there should
>be no reason why vista isn't picking them up. i have all the security
>settings as i am one of the technicians that looks after the network.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> could be that the company you work for is not broadcasting SSIDs.
>> you probably should start by asking the folks that run these
>> wireless networks (IT personnel, network admins). they probably have
>> security settings you would need as well.
>>
>> (not exactly sure what you mean by "my works infrastructure" and
>> have interpreted it to mean the wireless network run at your place
>> of business. if this is not the case, please post more information.)
>>
>> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 07:38:04 -0700, hm2k
>> <hm2k@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >i was using vista home premium and found that i couldnt connect to my works
>> >infrastructure so i updated to vista business and i still cannot pick up any
>> >wireless access points, even though all the other laptops connect fine. i can
>> >pick up wireless routers for home internet connections no problem but
>> >wireless access points for a network is a no go and i have tried all i can
>> >think of. if anyone has any ideas of a solution to this it would be greatly
>> >appreciated.
>> >cheers.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
william.hooper@gmail.com

Re: vista business wireless not detected
Are you sure that you have no wirless conncetion or in Network and
Sharing do you see the connection alive but "local only" with the
internet bit not connected. Thats a common problem in vitsa and the
only way to go about fixing it is to hardcode your ip address. the
vista dchp fails on many machines.