XP and Vista File Sharing

JFM

XP and Vista File Sharing
My network connection is as follows...
My desktop is running XP and is connected to my router and I'm using my
notebook wireless which is Vista (home premium).
The problem is that I can not share my notebook files from my desktop. On
the notebook the settings are: Private network, but file sharing is on. The
folder I wish to share is on as well.
In other words, I can not acces my notebook from my desktop as i can acces
my desktop from my notebook.
HELP!!!
Malke

Re: XP and Vista File Sharing
JFM wrote:
> My network connection is as follows...
> My desktop is running XP and is connected to my router and I'm using my
> notebook wireless which is Vista (home premium).
> The problem is that I can not share my notebook files from my desktop. On
> the notebook the settings are: Private network, but file sharing is on. The
> folder I wish to share is on as well.
> In other words, I can not acces my notebook from my desktop as i can acces
> my desktop from my notebook.
> HELP!!!

General network troubleshooting - not everything may be applicable to
you so just take the bits that are:

*****
This link will take you through Vista networking very well:

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally
caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two
firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party
firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on
all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating
system does not permit it.

Here are some general networking tips for home/small networks:

1. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
(LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network
Setup Wizard on XP will take care of this for those machines.The only
"gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you
aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
"Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a
firewall, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually
configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Do not run more than one firewall.

2. With earlier Microsoft operating systems, the name of the Workgroup
didn't matter. Apparently it does with Vista, so put all computers in
the same Workgroup. This is done from the System applet in Control
Panel, Computer Name tab.

3. Create identical user accounts and passwords on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular
user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at
this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

4. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

accounts/passwords on all computers.

b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
Simple File Sharing enabled.

resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters
in your situation.

I think it is a good idea to create the identical user
accounts/passwords in any case when Vista machines are involved and it
isn't an onerous task with home/small networks.

5. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
Shared Documents folder. See the first link above for details about
Vista sharing.
*****

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
JFM

Re: XP and Vista File Sharing
Thnx for the help, although i found another way.
If I continue having problems, i'll make sure to follow your recommendations.
Thanks again.