File Permissions

carnivorousapetrick

File Permissions
I recently set up the first Vista Business computer on the network. The user
is trying to access resources on a Windows 2000 server. There is one
particular subfolder where, if they try to save files after modifying them,
the error comes back as "Cannot find the file. The connection may have been
lost. Access is denied". The user can open the files, but not save
modifications.

This does not occur with any other subfolders or files in the mapped
directory, and all files and folders are inheriting the same permissions from
the parent directory.

The user has full control over all of the files when accessing them from an
XP machine.

Please help.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: File Permissions
With Vista, you always open a file with "normal user" permissions, even if you are an administrator. Therefore, some files can’t be modified or save if you are not owner or you are not open it as administrator, and you may receive “Access is denied” message. To fix this problems, you may some options.

1.. Oen the folder or file properties to assign Full Control (instead of Write and Read) in the Security tab.
2.. Take ownership over. This how to may give you a tip.
How to restrict administrators to access HR dataAlthough an administrator can take ownership, the administrator cannot transfer ownership to others. This restriction keeps administrators accountable for ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Secur...ownership1.htm

3. Open an Administrative Windows Explorer. This how to may help. How to open an Administrative Windows Explorer

http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/security.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"carnivorousapetrick" <carnivorousapetrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:047CBADD-1972-492E-9BD3-A37310D20F4F@microsoft.com...
I recently set up the first Vista Business computer on the network. The user
is trying to access resources on a Windows 2000 server. There is one
particular subfolder where, if they try to save files after modifying them,
the error comes back as "Cannot find the file. The connection may have been
lost. Access is denied". The user can open the files, but not save
modifications.

This does not occur with any other subfolders or files in the mapped
directory, and all files and folders are inheriting the same permissions from
the parent directory.

The user has full control over all of the files when accessing them from an
XP machine.

Please help.
carnivorousapetrick

Re: File Permissions
I (as an administrator) originally created the folder for the user. I am the
owner, and I can't transfer ownership to the user. The user does have full
control and full rights over the files and folders, and once again can fully
access the files from an XP computer. The error only shows on a Vista
Business computer.

Thanks.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> With Vista, you always open a file with "normal user" permissions, even if you are an administrator. Therefore, some files can’t be modified or save if you are not owner or you are not open it as administrator, and you may receive “Access is denied” message. To fix this problems, you may some options.
>

> 1.. Oen the folder or file properties to assign Full Control (instead of Write and Read) in the Security tab.
> 2.. Take ownership over. This how to may give you a tip.
> How to restrict administrators to access HR dataAlthough an administrator can take ownership, the administrator cannot transfer ownership to others. This restriction keeps administrators accountable for ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Secur...ownership1.htm
>

> 3. Open an Administrative Windows Explorer. This how to may help. How to open an Administrative Windows Explorer
>
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/security.htm
>

> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "carnivorousapetrick" <carnivorousapetrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:047CBADD-1972-492E-9BD3-A37310D20F4F@microsoft.com...
> I recently set up the first Vista Business computer on the network. The user
> is trying to access resources on a Windows 2000 server. There is one
> particular subfolder where, if they try to save files after modifying them,
> the error comes back as "Cannot find the file. The connection may have been
> lost. Access is denied". The user can open the files, but not save
> modifications.
>
> This does not occur with any other subfolders or files in the mapped
> directory, and all files and folders are inheriting the same permissions from
> the parent directory.
>
> The user has full control over all of the files when accessing them from an
> XP machine.
>
> Please help

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: File Permissions
You may want to use icacls to check the permissions.

Vista Permission IssuesHow to: check permissions using Vista icacls command, Reply with quote . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"carnivorousapetrick" <carnivorousapetrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CDC5813F-CF4E-475E-832C-692903728DD4@microsoft.com...
I (as an administrator) originally created the folder for the user. I am the
owner, and I can't transfer ownership to the user. The user does have full
control and full rights over the files and folders, and once again can fully
access the files from an XP computer. The error only shows on a Vista
Business computer.

Thanks.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> With Vista, you always open a file with "normal user" permissions, even if you are an administrator. Therefore, some files can’t be modified or save if you are not owner or you are not open it as administrator, and you may receive “Access is denied” message. To fix this problems, you may some options.
>

> 1.. Oen the folder or file properties to assign Full Control (instead of Write and Read) in the Security tab.
> 2.. Take ownership over. This how to may give you a tip.
> How to restrict administrators to access HR dataAlthough an administrator can take ownership, the administrator cannot transfer ownership to others. This restriction keeps administrators accountable for ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Secur...ownership1.htm
>

> 3. Open an Administrative Windows Explorer. This how to may help. How to open an Administrative Windows Explorer
>
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/security.htm
>

> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "carnivorousapetrick" <carnivorousapetrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:047CBADD-1972-492E-9BD3-A37310D20F4F@microsoft.com...
> I recently set up the first Vista Business computer on the network. The user
> is trying to access resources on a Windows 2000 server. There is one
> particular subfolder where, if they try to save files after modifying them,
> the error comes back as "Cannot find the file. The connection may have been
> lost. Access is denied". The user can open the files, but not save
> modifications.
>
> This does not occur with any other subfolders or files in the mapped
> directory, and all files and folders are inheriting the same permissions from
> the parent directory.
>
> The user has full control over all of the files when accessing them from an
> XP machine.
>
> Please help

carnivorousapetrick

Re: File Permissions
Icacls shows that the user has full control over the network folder. The
server lists the user as the owner.

From other suggestions I've found, I've disabled the webclient and offline
files services. I've also disabled on-access scanning by our antivirus
program (Sophos) on the server.

As the user is able to modify and save the files correctly using Office 2003
and XP SP2, that would seem to suggest that the problem is either in Office
2007 or with Vista security. I will try accessing the files from an XP
machine through Office 2007, but even once I've pinpointed where the problem
is coming from, I may not be able to resolve it.

Please continue to help

Thanks

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> You may want to use icacls to check the permissions.
>
> Vista Permission IssuesHow to: check permissions using Vista icacls command, Reply with quote . ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
>

> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "carnivorousapetrick" <carnivorousapetrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CDC5813F-CF4E-475E-832C-692903728DD4@microsoft.com...
> I (as an administrator) originally created the folder for the user. I am the
> owner, and I can't transfer ownership to the user. The user does have full
> control and full rights over the files and folders, and once again can fully
> access the files from an XP computer. The error only shows on a Vista
> Business computer.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > With Vista, you always open a file with "normal user" permissions, even if you are an administrator. Therefore, some files can’t be modified or save if you are not owner or you are not open it as administrator, and you may receive “Access is denied” message. To fix this problems, you may some options.
> >

> > 1.. Oen the folder or file properties to assign Full Control (instead of Write and Read) in the Security tab.
> > 2.. Take ownership over. This how to may give you a tip.
> > How to restrict administrators to access HR dataAlthough an administrator can take ownership, the administrator cannot transfer ownership to others. This restriction keeps administrators accountable for ...
> > http://www.howtonetworking.com/Secur...ownership1.htm
> >

> > 3. Open an Administrative Windows Explorer. This how to may help. How to open an Administrative Windows Explorer
> >
> > http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windows/security.htm
> >

> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "carnivorousapetrick" <carnivorousapetrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:047CBADD-1972-492E-9BD3-A37310D20F4F@microsoft.com...
> > I recently set up the first Vista Business computer on the network. The user
> > is trying to access resources on a Windows 2000 server. There is one
> > particular subfolder where, if they try to save files after modifying them,
> > the error comes back as "Cannot find the file. The connection may have been
> > lost. Access is denied". The user can open the files, but not save
> > modifications.
> >
> > This does not occur with any other subfolders or files in the mapped
> > directory, and all files and folders are inheriting the same permissions from
> > the parent directory.
> >
> > The user has full control over all of the files when accessing them from an
> > XP machine.
> >
> > Please help

carnivorousapetrick

Re: File Permissions
Ok, the user can modify and save files to the network drive when using XP and
Office 2003, and when using XP and Office 2007. The only time the error
message occurs is when the user is using Vista Business with Office 2007.
This would suggest that Vista is the culprit.