Wireless Connection Problem

Eric

Wireless Connection Problem
I am having a wireless connection problem with two brand new HP 6415CA
laptops running VISTA Home Premium that I just purchased. The problem seems
the same as many posts here, but not being overly technical I can’t figure
out from the responses if this problem has a Microsoft fix or other solution
or not.

What I am hoping for in layman’s terms is to know if there is a solution to
this problem and if so how do I correct it.

The problem is that I have been able to create an auto logon wireless
connection, but like other people have experienced, out of the blue it will
stop working and will show that it’s status is local only, instead of local
and internet. Restarting, shutting down doesn’t usually change it, nor does
repair fix it, nor does deleting and recreating the network connection. Then
out of the blue it will start working again, only to go away again.

The wireless router has been in for some time and is working fine with 2
other laptops that I have (both HP), running XP. When the new laptops
encounter this problem the other 2 XP laptops continue to run normally.

If I plug the 6415`s directly into one of the Linksys Ethernet ports they
work fine.

The two new 6415 laptops have the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG interface. They
are connecting to a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54GS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Thanks Eric
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Wireless Connection Problem
It could be the wireless incompatible with the Vista, If XP works and wired works, it doesn't guaranty to work with Vista. Have you check the router or wireless NIC firmware and driver? Have you install MS update? These links may help too.

Vista incompatible issuesVista Incompatible issues. 1. Some switches or routers may not compatible with Vista – Solutions: upgrade the firmware, disable the IPv6, re-configure the ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistacompatible.htm

Vista Wireless IssuesVista: Common Problems with 802.11 Wireless ... Inability to Connect and the wireless doesn’t receive the single. 1) It could be the Wireless adapter driver ...
http://www.wifimvp.com/vistawireless.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE