Can't share files except Public files on Vista Systems

Andy Vabulas

Can't share files except Public files on Vista Systems
I have 3 Vista Ultimate computers. I followed all of the instructions in
File and Printing in Windows Vista article from TechNet. I still cannot share
ANY files outside of the Public folders on each computer. Public folder
sharing is working. I wish to share my user document, downloads, music,
pictures, and videos and not have to use the Public folders for sharing. I do
not want to have to copy all of my files to Public, I want to Share them in
place.

I have the password protection off in the Network and Sharing Center on all
of my computers. All have the same workgroup, Network name, network location
type is Private network, OneCare and firewall settings verified correct
settings for sharing. I have added Everyone and Guest accounts to all user
sharing computer folders.

I can see the folders from another computer. but cannot access them. When I
go to network user folder on another computer, I get a Access Denied message.
What can I do to share these folders?
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Can't share files except Public files on Vista Systems
On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 15:06:03 -0700, Andy Vabulas <avabulas@ibisinc.com> wrote:

> I have 3 Vista Ultimate computers. I followed all of the instructions in
>File and Printing in Windows Vista article from TechNet. I still cannot share
>ANY files outside of the Public folders on each computer. Public folder
>sharing is working. I wish to share my user document, downloads, music,
>pictures, and videos and not have to use the Public folders for sharing. I do
>not want to have to copy all of my files to Public, I want to Share them in
>place.
>
>I have the password protection off in the Network and Sharing Center on all
>of my computers. All have the same workgroup, Network name, network location
>type is Private network, OneCare and firewall settings verified correct
>settings for sharing. I have added Everyone and Guest accounts to all user
>sharing computer folders.
>
>I can see the folders from another computer. but cannot access them. When I
>go to network user folder on another computer, I get a Access Denied message.
>What can I do to share these folders?

If you disable Password Protected Sharing, you end up with Guest only
authentication. By default, Guest has very little access on Vista. You need to
either boost access to Guest, or enable PPS. My article expands a bit upon the
Technet article.

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Andy Vabulas

Re: Can't share files except Public files on Vista Systems
Thank you for your help Chuck. Your article gave me the information I needed
to get my problem resolved. I needed to activate the guest accounts on all
systems and add guest rights to the specific folders I wanted to share. Your
specific post was most helpful:

Making File Sharing Work

"Once you get past the issues involved in accessing the server, such as
browsing and name resolution, there are the issues of accessing the data
itself - authentication ("Who are you?"), and authorisation ("Do we want you
to have access here?")."

This was not clear in the Microsoft documentation but was in your posting.
Thanks again.

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 07:22:02 -0700, Andy Vabulas <avabulas@ibisinc.com> wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 15:06:03 -0700, Andy Vabulas <avabulas@ibisinc.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I have 3 Vista Ultimate computers. I followed all of the instructions in
>> >File and Printing in Windows Vista article from TechNet. I still cannot share
>> >ANY files outside of the Public folders on each computer. Public folder
>> >sharing is working. I wish to share my user document, downloads, music,
>> >pictures, and videos and not have to use the Public folders for sharing. I do
>> >not want to have to copy all of my files to Public, I want to Share them in
>> >place.
>> >
>> >I have the password protection off in the Network and Sharing Center on all
>> >of my computers. All have the same workgroup, Network name, network location
>> >type is Private network, OneCare and firewall settings verified correct
>> >settings for sharing. I have added Everyone and Guest accounts to all user
>> >sharing computer folders.
>> >
>> >I can see the folders from another computer. but cannot access them. When I
>> >go to network user folder on another computer, I get a Access Denied message.
>> >What can I do to share these folders?

>> If you disable Password Protected Sharing, you end up with Guest only
>> authentication. By default, Guest has very little access on Vista. You need to
>> either boost access to Guest, or enable PPS. My article expands a bit upon the
>> Technet article.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html

>Thank you for your help Chuck. Your article gave me the information I needed
>to get my problem resolved. I needed to activate the guest accounts on all
>systems and add guest rights to the specific folders I wanted to share. Your
>specific post was most helpful:
>
>Making File Sharing Work
>
>"Once you get past the issues involved in accessing the server, such as
>browsing and name resolution, there are the issues of accessing the data
>itself - authentication ("Who are you?"), and authorisation ("Do we want you
>to have access here?")."
>

>This was not clear in the Microsoft documentation but was in your posting.
>Thanks again.

Thanks for the feedback, Andy. Glad my documentation was useful.