AAGH (XP - Vista)

mehehehe

AAGH (XP - Vista)
Hi

I see alot of people are having problems connecting XP and Vista..
surely this should be simple???

I have an old XP machine, and a new Vista machine.

I want to connect the 2 together, over a simple ethernet connection, both
pc's have ethernet cards, and both are connected by an ethernet cable! yet
the XP machine say's the cable is disconnected.... ? also in Vista -> Control
Panel -> Network connections. it says the connection is unplugged...

this isn't the case, the wire is physically connected to the ethernet port
on each computer... i have tried 2 different ethernet cables to make sure
the problem wasnt the wire or connectors.

1. are any of the firewalls likely to prevent me setting up a LAN connection?
2. if so, how do i configure them to allow a local connection... (i have
read all the help files for xp/vista/firewalls (norton, Avg, windows
firewall) and their suggestions don't seem to help.
3. is this an XP/vista problem?

I am fairly confident that in the past, when i have tried to network say an
xp machine with a 98 machine, that i have managed to do so pretty easily!

AAAAGH!

thanks for any assistance.

JJ

Malke

Re: AAGH (XP - Vista)
mehehehe wrote:
> Hi
>
> I see alot of people are having problems connecting XP and Vista..
> surely this should be simple???
>
> I have an old XP machine, and a new Vista machine.
>
> I want to connect the 2 together, over a simple ethernet connection, both
> pc's have ethernet cards, and both are connected by an ethernet cable! yet
> the XP machine say's the cable is disconnected.... ? also in Vista -> Control
> Panel -> Network connections. it says the connection is unplugged...
>
> this isn't the case, the wire is physically connected to the ethernet port
> on each computer... i have tried 2 different ethernet cables to make sure
> the problem wasnt the wire or connectors.
>
> 1. are any of the firewalls likely to prevent me setting up a LAN connection?
> 2. if so, how do i configure them to allow a local connection... (i have
> read all the help files for xp/vista/firewalls (norton, Avg, windows
> firewall) and their suggestions don't seem to help.
> 3. is this an XP/vista problem?

From your post, it would seem that you have one ethernet cable running
directly from the XP computer's NIC to the Vista computer's NIC. Is this
correct? No hub or router in between? If that is in fact your setup,
then you need to use a crossover cable, not a straight through ethernet
cable which would explain why you are getting the "connection is
unplugged" message.

Connect two computers with crossover cable -
http://www.techlearning.com/itguy/sh...cleID=22100452

In answer to your other questions, of course you need to configure your
firewalls on each machine to allow traffic on the Local Area Network.
How you configure them depends on the firewalls.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: AAGH (XP - Vista)
Do you use crossover cable?

Crossover cableCrossover Cable. One End Another End. Pin 1 White/Orange Pin 1 White/Green Pin 2 Orange Pin 2 Green Pin 3 White/Green Pin 3 White/Orange ...
www.chicagotech.net/crossovercable.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"mehehehe" <mehehehe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7786245F-32BE-4559-9D65-FC533F470F47@microsoft.com...
[...]

RE: AAGH (XP - Vista)