One computer cannot see another

bobj

One computer cannot see another
I have 3 computers on a wireless network, 2 running vista ultimate and 1
running XP (SP2).

The first vista pc sees all other pc's and is able to share files.
The XP pc sees all other pc's and is able to share files with the 1st vista
pc.
The second vista pc only sees the other vista pc. It does not see the XP pc
even though the XP pc sees it and the 1st vista pc sees the XP pc.

I've tried a number of fixes from other threads, but I'm stumped. Any
thoughts?
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: One computer cannot see another
Post back with the result of net view \\xpipaddress from Vista.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"bobj" <bobj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1202496-2A54-41B5-A665-BB953335F0A7@microsoft.com...
I have 3 computers on a wireless network, 2 running vista ultimate and 1
running XP (SP2).

The first vista pc sees all other pc's and is able to share files.
The XP pc sees all other pc's and is able to share files with the 1st vista
pc.
The second vista pc only sees the other vista pc. It does not see the XP pc
even though the XP pc sees it and the 1st vista pc sees the XP pc.

I've tried a number of fixes from other threads, but I'm stumped. Any
thoughts?
bobj

Re: One computer cannot see another
When I run "net view" on the vista pc that does not show the xp pc in the
network window, it responds with the shared resources on the xp pc. Very
puzzling...it can apparently see it through this command but not when the
network window is open in vista.

I am able to see shared resources on the vista pc from the xp pc's netwrok
window.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Post back with the result of net view \\xpipaddress from Vista.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "bobj" <bobj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1202496-2A54-41B5-A665-BB953335F0A7@microsoft.com...
> I have 3 computers on a wireless network, 2 running vista ultimate and 1
> running XP (SP2).
>
> The first vista pc sees all other pc's and is able to share files.
> The XP pc sees all other pc's and is able to share files with the 1st vista
> pc.
> The second vista pc only sees the other vista pc. It does not see the XP pc
> even though the XP pc sees it and the 1st vista pc sees the XP pc.
>
> I've tried a number of fixes from other threads, but I'm stumped. Any
> thoughts?

Chuck [MVP]

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 15:28:01 -0700, bobj <bobj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

>> "bobj" <bobj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1202496-2A54-41B5-A665-BB953335F0A7@microsoft.com...
>> I have 3 computers on a wireless network, 2 running vista ultimate and 1
>> running XP (SP2).
>>
>> The first vista pc sees all other pc's and is able to share files.
>> The XP pc sees all other pc's and is able to share files with the 1st vista
>> pc.
>> The second vista pc only sees the other vista pc. It does not see the XP pc
>> even though the XP pc sees it and the 1st vista pc sees the XP pc.
>>
>> I've tried a number of fixes from other threads, but I'm stumped. Any
>> thoughts?

>> Post back with the result of net view \\xpipaddress from Vista.

>When I run "net view" on the vista pc that does not show the xp pc in the
>network window, it responds with the shared resources on the xp pc. Very
>puzzling...it can apparently see it through this command but not when the
>network window is open in vista.
>
>I am able to see shared resources on the vista pc from the xp pc's netwrok
>window.

Bob,

I'd diagnose the problem, looking at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig
/all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer.
Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
(download browstat!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT