Re: delayed start of windows update when booting causes problems --

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: delayed start of windows update when booting causes problems --
(cross-post added to Vista Networking)
"georgef" <georgef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey Folks - My son is a student (new) at a college here in California which
> uses some cisco related security software. This software apparently is
> getting "confused" as apparently Windows Automatic Update Service has about a
> 2 minute delay before starting (in Vista ONLY).

Please detail the diagnostics which you are using to support this assertion.
It seems to be stronger than just a guess? Have you checked with the
college network admin?

> Kids with XP computers are not having connectivity problems to the internet.

How do you know that the XP computers are configured the same way?

> Because the Cisco security software thinks Windows Automatic Update Service
> is not running (in reality it is), the kids with Vista are getting just "temporary" internet connection
> for 59 minutes (on this system at this college). The work around is to let
> your computer wait for 2 minutes after the Cisco signin page comes up because
> by then, Windows Automatic Update Service starts (again, this delay in
> starting is a Vista problem, not an XP problem). This work around works, but
> is a pain in the a$$

Sounds more like a problem with a proxy to me.

I would try tracing the connection(s).
E.g. since you have two cases you could trace both
and compare them without even having to understand
exactly which either was saying. XP users could use
netcap + Ethereal for this. I don't know if those are
available on Vista or not.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> QUESTION - how do you configure Windows Automatic Update Service so that it
> starts IMMEDIATELY when booting up Windows? ie - no delay in starting the
> service.
>
> THANKS ALL!!!

georgef

Re: delayed start of windows update when booting causes problems -
hi Robert - logical answer, but I know it's not a proxy problem. I've been
told by the RESNET people (these are the techs running the students'
accessiblity to the internet at this college) that XP computers don't have
this problem. They've isolated the problem to Vista and the fact that
Microsoft, for some reason, programmed in a "delay" to the windows automatic
update service.