Wireless authentication settings?

anton

Wireless authentication settings?

Hi Guys, any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I have
just bought a new laptop (Toshiba A100/500). This comes fitted with a
wireless network card (Intel« PRO/ Wireless 3945 ABG). It came with
Windows Vista pre-installed and I am having trouble connecting it to my
wireless router (Billion 7401vgp-m). I have disabled all wireless
security on my router , turned on SSID broadcast and turned off the
windows firewall etc on the laptop. Here is a screen capture of my
router's Wireless Settings:
[image:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ssettings.jpg]

The lappy can see the network and gets excellent wireless reception,
but refuses to connect to it. See error message below:
[image:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ormessage.jpg]
Now as far as I'm aware all wireless authentication settings on my
router have been turned off so there shouldn't be an issue. No other
devices (a pda and an xp machine have any problems connecting to the
network). If anyone has some experience with Vista your help would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! -cherns

--
anton
motarola2

Re: Wireless authentication settings?

have you tried reinstalling the driver?
power cycle the router and the computer.
there was a trick to do on the registry but i forgot, maybe you can
google for that.

--
motarola2
Steven Toney

Re: Wireless authentication settings?
I'm also having wireless network issues with my new laptop (lenovo thinkpad
X61) with VIsta ultimate using the same intel chip listed below.

I can actually connect to my wireless acces point in my firewall (watchguard
edge) with problem, get an IP and other settings from the firewall DHCP. I
can then connect to the internet with problem

the problem is connecting in browsing and connecting to shares on my windows
2003 server and my other XP computers (3) and the one other desktop with
Vista Ultimate.

The wired ethernet port work normally without problems - I can see and
browse the other computer on my network.

The laptop will only see itself in the network explorer area while using the
wireless adapter

I have turned off the computere browser service on all machince but the
windows 2003 server

any ideas

thanks

"anton" <anton.2wmlkm@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi Guys, any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I have
> just bought a new laptop (Toshiba A100/500). This comes fitted with a
> wireless network card (Intel« PRO/ Wireless 3945 ABG). It came with
> Windows Vista pre-installed and I am having trouble connecting it to my
> wireless router (Billion 7401vgp-m). I have disabled all wireless
> security on my router , turned on SSID broadcast and turned off the
> windows firewall etc on the laptop. Here is a screen capture of my
> router's Wireless Settings:
> [image:
> http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ssettings.jpg]
>
> The lappy can see the network and gets excellent wireless reception,
> but refuses to connect to it. See error message below:
> [image:
> http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ormessage.jpg]
> Now as far as I'm aware all wireless authentication settings on my
> router have been turned off so there shouldn't be an issue. No other
> devices (a pda and an xp machine have any problems connecting to the
> network). If anyone has some experience with Vista your help would be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! -cherns
>

> --
> anton

Steven Toney

Re: Wireless authentication settings?
Just to complete the information on my setup

it is a home network and is only using a single workgroup common to all PCs

"Steven Toney" <toneys@ibm.net> wrote in message
> I'm also having wireless network issues with my new laptop (lenovo
> thinkpad X61) with VIsta ultimate using the same intel chip listed below.
>
> I can actually connect to my wireless acces point in my firewall
> (watchguard edge) with problem, get an IP and other settings from the
> firewall DHCP. I can then connect to the internet with problem
>
> the problem is connecting in browsing and connecting to shares on my
> windows 2003 server and my other XP computers (3) and the one other
> desktop with Vista Ultimate.
>
> The wired ethernet port work normally without problems - I can see and
> browse the other computer on my network.
>
> The laptop will only see itself in the network explorer area while using
> the wireless adapter
>
> I have turned off the computere browser service on all machince but the
> windows 2003 server
>
> any ideas
>
> thanks
>

> "anton" <anton.2wmlkm@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi Guys, any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I have
>> just bought a new laptop (Toshiba A100/500). This comes fitted with a
>> wireless network card (Intel« PRO/ Wireless 3945 ABG). It came with
>> Windows Vista pre-installed and I am having trouble connecting it to my
>> wireless router (Billion 7401vgp-m). I have disabled all wireless
>> security on my router , turned on SSID broadcast and turned off the
>> windows firewall etc on the laptop. Here is a screen capture of my
>> router's Wireless Settings:
>> [image:
>> http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ssettings.jpg]
>>
>> The lappy can see the network and gets excellent wireless reception,
>> but refuses to connect to it. See error message below:
>> [image:
>> http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ormessage.jpg]
>> Now as far as I'm aware all wireless authentication settings on my
>> router have been turned off so there shouldn't be an issue. No other
>> devices (a pda and an xp machine have any problems connecting to the
>> network). If anyone has some experience with Vista your help would be
>> greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! -cherns
>>

>> --
>> anton

leapfrog is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Wireless authentication settings?
Hi
I'm having the same problem, I have a Toshiba laptop that previously worked on wireless but now I have a new wireless router (D-LINK) I'm no longer able to connect to the network using wireless. I have installed everything as I should have & have eliminated the router & broadband but still cannot connect using wireless. It works perfectly OK using a cable.

I have removed all security but nothing. I can connect using another laptop but not this one.

Does anyone know what could be the issue. I'm not that 'computer literate' & I'm really struggling to get this to work.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Wireless authentication settings?
Can you connect to the wireless if you setup it without security?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"leapfrog" <leapfrog.3h3wki@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Hi
> I'm having the same problem, I have a Toshiba laptop that previously
> worked on wireless but now I have a new wireless router (D-LINK) I'm no
> longer able to connect to the network using wireless. I have installed
> everything as I should have & have eliminated the router & broadband but
> still cannot connect using wireless. It works perfectly OK using a
> cable.
>
> I have removed all security but nothing. I can connect using another
> laptop but not this one.
>
> Does anyone know what could be the issue. I'm not that 'computer
> literate' & I'm really struggling to get this to work.
>

> --
> leapfrog

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Wireless authentication settings?
Hi
Maybe this can Help to find what is wrong with the Laptop's Wireless
configuration.
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)