Joining a Win 2K Server domain

rtcary

Joining a Win 2K Server domain
I have a new Vista Business computer that I am trying to join to a domain.
The PDC is Win 2K. By no means am I a network guy; just know enough to get
my XP computers connected. Even with the firewall turned off, I get this
message:

"An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined failed"

Not sure what that means! To make sure all is working fine, I reconnected a
XP computer with no problems.

With XP I always need to establish that a computer is Trusted, but I do not
see that anywhere with XP.

Many thanks...

Todd
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Joining a Win 2K Server domain
Sounds like DNS issue. How do you setup your DNS?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"rtcary" <rtcary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37628F59-255F-4B3A-89CB-281750B54A26@microsoft.com...
I have a new Vista Business computer that I am trying to join to a domain.
The PDC is Win 2K. By no means am I a network guy; just know enough to get
my XP computers connected. Even with the firewall turned off, I get this
message:

"An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined failed"

Not sure what that means! To make sure all is working fine, I reconnected a
XP computer with no problems.

With XP I always need to establish that a computer is Trusted, but I do not
see that anywhere with XP.

Many thanks...

Todd
rtcary

Re: Joining a Win 2K Server domain
Since my server has been running untouched for several years, I am not sure
what settings I should check.

Todd Cary
Ariste Software

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Sounds like DNS issue. How do you setup your DNS?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "rtcary" <rtcary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37628F59-255F-4B3A-89CB-281750B54A26@microsoft.com...
> I have a new Vista Business computer that I am trying to join to a domain.
> The PDC is Win 2K. By no means am I a network guy; just know enough to get
> my XP computers connected. Even with the firewall turned off, I get this
> message:
>
> "An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined failed"
>
> Not sure what that means! To make sure all is working fine, I reconnected a
> XP computer with no problems.
>
> With XP I always need to establish that a computer is Trusted, but I do not
> see that anywhere with XP.
>
> Many thanks..

davidgold

Re: Joining a Win 2K Server domain
from any machine on your lan open a cmd prompt, type NET VIEW
determine which computer is your 2kserver
type PING [servername]
it should tell you the IP address of your server
open ipv4 and plug in that IP address in the Primary DNS server space
then you can join the domain

"rtcary" wrote:

> Since my server has been running untouched for several years, I am not sure
> what settings I should check.
>
> Todd Cary
> Ariste Software
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > Sounds like DNS issue. How do you setup your DNS?
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "rtcary" <rtcary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37628F59-255F-4B3A-89CB-281750B54A26@microsoft.com...
> > I have a new Vista Business computer that I am trying to join to a domain.
> > The PDC is Win 2K. By no means am I a network guy; just know enough to get
> > my XP computers connected. Even with the firewall turned off, I get this
> > message:
> >
> > "An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined failed"
> >
> > Not sure what that means! To make sure all is working fine, I reconnected a
> > XP computer with no problems.
> >
> > With XP I always need to establish that a computer is Trusted, but I do not
> > see that anywhere with XP.
> >
> > Many thanks..

rtcary

Re: Joining a Win 2K Server domain
Dave -

Many thanks for helping find the mistake (and I knew better): I had the
external DNS rather than the local PDC.

Todd

"davidgold" wrote:

> from any machine on your lan open a cmd prompt, type NET VIEW
> determine which computer is your 2kserver
> type PING [servername]
> it should tell you the IP address of your server
> open ipv4 and plug in that IP address in the Primary DNS server space
> then you can join the domain
>

> "rtcary" wrote:
>
> > Since my server has been running untouched for several years, I am not sure
> > what settings I should check.
> >
> > Todd Cary
> > Ariste Software
> >
> > "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
> >
> > > Sounds like DNS issue. How do you setup your DNS?
> > >
> > > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > > "rtcary" <rtcary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37628F59-255F-4B3A-89CB-281750B54A26@microsoft.com...
> > > I have a new Vista Business computer that I am trying to join to a domain.
> > > The PDC is Win 2K. By no means am I a network guy; just know enough to get
> > > my XP computers connected. Even with the firewall turned off, I get this
> > > message:
> > >
> > > "An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined failed"
> > >
> > > Not sure what that means! To make sure all is working fine, I reconnected a
> > > XP computer with no problems.
> > >
> > > With XP I always need to establish that a computer is Trusted, but I do not
> > > see that anywhere with XP.
> > >
> > > Many thanks..

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Joining a Win 2K Server domain
Thank you for the feedback. thank you, Dave, for the details of information.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

"davidgold" wrote:

> from any machine on your lan open a cmd prompt, type NET VIEW
> determine which computer is your 2kserver
> type PING [servername]
> it should tell you the IP address of your server
> open ipv4 and plug in that IP address in the Primary DNS server space
> then you can join the domain
>

> "rtcary" wrote:
>
> > Since my server has been running untouched for several years, I am not sure
> > what settings I should check.
> >
> > Todd Cary
> > Ariste Software
> >
> > "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
> >
> > > Sounds like DNS issue. How do you setup your DNS?
> > >
> > > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > > "rtcary" <rtcary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37628F59-255F-4B3A-89CB-281750B54A26@microsoft.com...
> > > I have a new Vista Business computer that I am trying to join to a domain.
> > > The PDC is Win 2K. By no means am I a network guy; just know enough to get
> > > my XP computers connected. Even with the firewall turned off, I get this
> > > message:
> > >
> > > "An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined failed"
> > >
> > > Not sure what that means! To make sure all is working fine, I reconnected a
> > > XP computer with no problems.
> > >
> > > With XP I always need to establish that a computer is Trusted, but I do not
> > > see that anywhere with XP.
> > >
> > > Many thanks..

rtcary

Re: Joining a Win 2K Server domain
Dave -

I have a question that is probably related: how to see the computers on the
network. When I go to Start | Network I only see my router (gateway) and the
computer I on. I was able to map a drive on a computer on the network,
however in XP in the Network neighborhood I can see all of the computers.

Todd

P.S. If this should be a new thread, please let me know.