File Sharing

Bluefox

File Sharing
3 PCs XP-Pro 2 PCs Vista. Windows Workgoup

One Vista PC holds folders/files that other computers can access on workgroup.

If a word or excel document is open and an additional user wishes to look at
the same document they are advised that it is open and they can look at a
read only copy etc etc if that user is on a XP-Pro PC

HOWEVER, if the user is on a Vista PC and tries to open a file already open
the PC hangs, nothing is useable until the intial user of that file exits the
file that is open.

It makes no difference which computer type opens the files first.

In XP-Pro its great it works fine - in Vista it does not work at all.

Any answers please, and yes I have looked everywhere for an answer before
coming here.

Many thanks

Bluefox
bejube

RE: File Sharing

"Bluefox" wrote:

> 3 PCs XP-Pro 2 PCs Vista. Windows Workgoup
>
> One Vista PC holds folders/files that other computers can access on workgroup.
>
> If a word or excel document is open and an additional user wishes to look at
> the same document they are advised that it is open and they can look at a
> read only copy etc etc if that user is on a XP-Pro PC
>
> HOWEVER, if the user is on a Vista PC and tries to open a file already open
> the PC hangs, nothing is useable until the intial user of that file exits the
> file that is open.
>
> It makes no difference which computer type opens the files first.
>
> In XP-Pro its great it works fine - in Vista it does not work at all.
>
> Any answers please, and yes I have looked everywhere for an answer before
> coming here.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Bluefox

bejube

RE: File Sharing
Any solution to this as yet? I have the same problem!!