Recent Reformat, Now Vista Can't Connect to Workgroup

Dylan Harrelson

Recent Reformat, Now Vista Can't Connect to Workgroup
Setup:

Windows XP Professional laptop (Wireless)
Windows Vista Ultimate PC (Wired UTP)

Recently I reformatted Vista to fix a few errors with a printer when the
computer came back online I attempted to re-connect it to my workgroup but to
no avail.

Both machines are set up on a home network through a Linksys WRT54G Router.
Both machines are set up on the same Workgroup but when looking into the
Network Sharing Center in Vista and Network Places in XP each machine only
shows itself.

I have tried enabling NetBIOS on each machine but it has not worked. I have
also tried setting up a Wireless Network via USB from the Vista machine to
the laptop but did not work. I tried a Network Setup Wizard via USB from the
XP machine to the Vista but it does not complete successfully.

Is there anything I am missing or haven't tried. Any and all advice is
welcome. Thank you.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Recent Reformat, Now Vista Can't Connect to Workgroup
Can you ping each other? If not, I would check the firewall first.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Dylan Harrelson" <DylanHarrelson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF13AB09-EFE5-423F-9A3B-997E28FFEC2E@microsoft.com...
[...]

Yes I can ping both machines, I recently did a "netsh winsock reset" which
fixed the problem temporarily but when I connected the machine back to my
Workgroup and restarted it stopped working.