Networking Vista to XP

---Fitz---

Networking Vista to XP
I have three computers on a LAN:

Vista Home Prem
XP Pro
XP Home

All computers show up in the network maps and all computers connect and
share fine with the exception of the Vista computer to the XP Pro computer.
Vista sees the XP Pro but can't connect. Error message 0x80070035-Windows
cannot access \\43tXXX- The network path was not found. The XP Pro,
however, connects and shares fine to the Vista.

All computers are on the same network name, all have manually assigned IPs,
the XPs have the LLTD patch installed, all connect to the internet through
the same router, all are setup for sharing. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Richard

RE: Networking Vista to XP
Hi,

I have the same problem, I am not one of the experts here but it seems to me
that MS have a Vista/XP compatability problem, a lot of pepole seem to have
the same problem and as yet I have not solved it. However I have spent many
hours trying and I have not given up yet. You might want to look at my post:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...7-7743c7a525c4
"Vista network map shows XP PC's but not in network explorer" posted 9/4/2007
It might jump you a little further towards a fix. Please let me know if sort
it out.

--
Rich

"---Fitz---" wrote:

> I have three computers on a LAN:
>
> Vista Home Prem
> XP Pro
> XP Home
>
> All computers show up in the network maps and all computers connect and
> share fine with the exception of the Vista computer to the XP Pro computer.
> Vista sees the XP Pro but can't connect. Error message 0x80070035-Windows
> cannot access \\43tXXX- The network path was not found. The XP Pro,
> however, connects and shares fine to the Vista.
>
> All computers are on the same network name, all have manually assigned IPs,
> the XPs have the LLTD patch installed, all connect to the internet through
> the same router, all are setup for sharing. What am I missing here?
>
> Thanks in advance.

> I have the same problem, I am not one of the experts here but it seems to
> me
> that MS have a Vista/XP compatability problem, a lot of pepole seem to
> have
> the same problem and as yet I have not solved it. However I have spent
> many
> hours trying and I have not given up yet. You might want to look at my
> post:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...7-7743c7a525c4
> "Vista network map shows XP PC's but not in network explorer" posted
> 9/4/2007
> It might jump you a little further towards a fix. Please let me know if
> sort
> it out.
>
> --
> Rich
>

> "---Fitz---" wrote:
>
>> I have three computers on a LAN:
>>
>> Vista Home Prem
>> XP Pro
>> XP Home
>>
>> All computers show up in the network maps and all computers connect and
>> share fine with the exception of the Vista computer to the XP Pro
>> computer.
>> Vista sees the XP Pro but can't connect. Error message
>> 0x80070035-Windows
>> cannot access \\43tXXX- The network path was not found. The XP Pro,
>> however, connects and shares fine to the Vista.
>>
>> All computers are on the same network name, all have manually assigned
>> IPs,
>> the XPs have the LLTD patch installed, all connect to the internet
>> through
>> the same router, all are setup for sharing. What am I missing here?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the quick reply. From Vista, I can see all the PCs from the
Network folder and the Network Map (including the problem PC, XP Pro). I
just cannot connect to or browse the XP Pro machine from Vista. I'll do
some more checking and if I find a solution or direction, I'll post back.

Richard

Re: Networking Vista to XP
Try shutting down the whole network then starting the Vista PC first, when it
has finished boot up then start one of the XP machines
--
Rich

"---Fitz---" wrote:

> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have the same problem, I am not one of the experts here but it seems to
> > me
> > that MS have a Vista/XP compatability problem, a lot of pepole seem to
> > have
> > the same problem and as yet I have not solved it. However I have spent
> > many
> > hours trying and I have not given up yet. You might want to look at my
> > post:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...7-7743c7a525c4
> > "Vista network map shows XP PC's but not in network explorer" posted
> > 9/4/2007
> > It might jump you a little further towards a fix. Please let me know if
> > sort
> > it out.
> >
> > --
> > Rich
> >

> > "---Fitz---" wrote:
> >
> >> I have three computers on a LAN:
> >>
> >> Vista Home Prem
> >> XP Pro
> >> XP Home
> >>
> >> All computers show up in the network maps and all computers connect and
> >> share fine with the exception of the Vista computer to the XP Pro
> >> computer.
> >> Vista sees the XP Pro but can't connect. Error message
> >> 0x80070035-Windows
> >> cannot access \\43tXXX- The network path was not found. The XP Pro,
> >> however, connects and shares fine to the Vista.
> >>
> >> All computers are on the same network name, all have manually assigned
> >> IPs,
> >> the XPs have the LLTD patch installed, all connect to the internet
> >> through
> >> the same router, all are setup for sharing. What am I missing here?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>

> Thanks for the quick reply. From Vista, I can see all the PCs from the
> Network folder and the Network Map (including the problem PC, XP Pro). I
> just cannot connect to or browse the XP Pro machine from Vista. I'll do
> some more checking and if I find a solution or direction, I'll post back.

Already tried that. The Vista machine stays on all the tome and the XP Home
machine stays on all the time. The XP Pro machine is frequently turned off.

> Try shutting down the whole network then starting the Vista PC first, when
> it
> has finished boot up then start one of the XP machines
> --
> Rich
>

> "---Fitz---" wrote:
>
>> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have the same problem, I am not one of the experts here but it seems
>> > me
>> > that MS have a Vista/XP compatability problem, a lot of pepole seem to
>> > have
>> > the same problem and as yet I have not solved it. However I have spent
>> > many
>> > hours trying and I have not given up yet. You might want to look at my
>> > post:
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...7-7743c7a525c4
>> > "Vista network map shows XP PC's but not in network explorer" posted
>> > 9/4/2007
>> > It might jump you a little further towards a fix. Please let me know if
>> > sort
>> > it out.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Rich

>> Thanks for the quick reply. From Vista, I can see all the PCs from the
>> Network folder and the Network Map (including the problem PC, XP Pro). I
>> just cannot connect to or browse the XP Pro machine from Vista. I'll do
>> some more checking and if I find a solution or direction, I'll post back.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Networking Vista to XP
These are many causes regarding Error message 0x80070035. Try to create the same username and the same password in all computers. Or check the below post. Please post back with the result.

Cases: Vista networking2) If browsing in Vista network, receive Network error: error code 0x80070035 - The network path was not found. Solution: 1) Make sure you have shared some ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=356

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"---Fitz---" <---fitz---@invalid.com> wrote in message news:46e23787$0$19623$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
[...]

No joy Robert. None of the 4 (in your link) cases seem to apply to me but I checked all the settings anyway but found nothing "apparently" wrong. I can ping all computers, file sharing is enabled, folder sharing is set, matching user names and passwords, etc. As I said, all computers can "see" each other on the network and all can connect to each other EXCEPT, the Vista can't complete the connection to the XP Pro. I've kinda run out of ideas so any more help is appreciated.

Thanks
[...]

Update...just confirmed I cannot "see" the XP Pro computer from the XP Home computer.
Update again...I just ran the Network Setup Wizard on the XP Pro computer and ALL seems well. All connect and act happy. Thanks for all assistance.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Networking Vista to XP
Thank you for the update.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"---Fitz---" <---fitz---@invalid.com> wrote in message news:46e359d8$0$28884$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
[...]

reload2k7

Re: Networking Vista to XP

Have you guys considered the fact that XP uses directx 9.0c and Vista uses
directx 10? i have a home network established using an xp based system for
the host in Internet Connection Sharing and Vista system as a client. Both
computers can see each other in the network and can swap files at
astonishingly fast speed between them over the gigabit connection. the two
cannot connect to each other however due to the fact that the directx
versions are different. You pretty much just need to confirm your basics for
networking and as far as manual ip assignment..eh..i dont think thats
absolutely necessary. As such, manual ip assignment was used for systems
that supported the ipx/spx protocols. Vista, as we know doesnt. I am
actively searching for a solution to this problem. I have found a link that
shows how to convert 9.0c in XP to 10.0 using C++ registry writing but this
is somewhat advanced for my nominal A+ skills. Good luck and hopefully this
helps you.