Vista/XP Networking

carljh

Vista/XP Networking
I have a new PC running Vista Home Premium & a laptop with XP Home. I am
trying to set up a wireless network between the two. My problem is that the
PC can see and access the files on the laptop and the laptop sees the files
on the PC. However, despite allowing full access to the 2 hard drives on the
PC which are not password protected, I get the message "access denied" when
clicking on either from the laptop. Both computers are using the same
network name and the Norton firewall seems to be configured ok on both. Also
I can't access the printer connected to the PC which I could on my old PC
running XP. I have no problems accessing the Internet through the
router/modem on the laptop.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista/XP Networking
Sounds like permission issue. Have you assigned permission on the shared folder and Security tab? Or this search result may help,

Vista Permission IssuesCan I assume the external drive used to be connecting to other computer and you just re-connect it the the Vista? Check the permission using this command: . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"carljh" <carljh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53A6FBE4-0A32-4206-9307-766A7CBC7D3F@microsoft.com...
I have a new PC running Vista Home Premium & a laptop with XP Home. I am
trying to set up a wireless network between the two. My problem is that the
PC can see and access the files on the laptop and the laptop sees the files
on the PC. However, despite allowing full access to the 2 hard drives on the
PC which are not password protected, I get the message "access denied" when
clicking on either from the laptop. Both computers are using the same
network name and the Norton firewall seems to be configured ok on both. Also
I can't access the printer connected to the PC which I could on my old PC
running XP. I have no problems accessing the Internet through the
router/modem on the laptop.
EW

Re: Vista/XP Networking
RL....

I went to the chicagotech.net site to try to resolve my XP-Vista file sharing problem (Access denied...) and clicked on the link shown below. It has a bad relevant sub link, today anyway. Great!?! This issue with file sharing is simply the worst computer experience I've ever had -- in 12 years of heavy and successful computer use.

In my case, the only problem is accessing Vista "shared" folders from my XP. All other networking, file sharing, printer issues work -- except for the XP to Vista access (except for the Public folder). I've done everything right (except for giving both my computers the same user name, which is a ridiculous requirement.

My 2 cents. I wonder if the upcoming Service Pack will address this or will enough users complain again afterwards if it isn't! Really pathetic.

EW