Internet problem with Vista

Richard Sukovaty

Internet problem with Vista
Computer: HP Pavillion dv9205us (AMD Turion 64)
Software: Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit), Internet Explore 7, Firefox
2.0.0.6, CA Internet Security for antivirus/firewall, Yahoo! Messenger
Network: Cable modem, Belkin Wireless G router (F5D7230-4), with 2 computers
and printer attached via Ethernet and the laptop via WiFi (signal strength
varies 40 - 100% depending on location)

About a week ago I started having problems with the internet on the laptop.
I would boot the laptop, log in, Yahoo! would start and log in automatically.
I'd bring up the web browser (either one) and start browsing. It would work
fine for one to a few web pages, but eventually either it wouldn't load a new
page or the page loading would hang halfway though, no error, just the
browser saying "waiting for www.whatever.com". Yahoo! appears to stay online
but can't send or get messages, and if I leave it on it eventually times out.
Other programs that connect through the web fail to connect either on launch
or shortly after. Both desktops (running XP) work fine. The laptop was
working fine up until this time. As far as I know, *I* did not change
anything on the computer (Microsoft et al, who knows?)

Tested:
Under DOS (as administrator) flushed the DNS cache - did not help
Placed laptop next to router to ensure good signal - did not help
Plugged laptop directly into router - did not help
Happens whether laptop is on battery or on power cord power

Does anyone have any other ideas what I can do to fix this?

Danneman

Re: Internet problem with Vista

I've had the same problems and I haven't found a solution to it yet. It
might be the router that doesn't fully support VISTA (even though it
says so). I have two computers (XP and VISTA). The XP machine connects
with no problem and has no browsing issues at all.

When the VISTA machine's browsing "hangs". the little network icon in
the tray still says i'm connected to the WAN, I have tried everything;
flushing dns, resetting winsock etc, etc (even system restore).
Everything i've tried just makes it work for a couple of hours the most.
There seems to be no-one who has any clue.

The only thing that works (and I can live with that) is to disconnect
from the network (wireless in my case) and reconnect again. This makes
it work again for a while.
I think it might be related to leaving the computer idle for a while.
Almost always when I start my computer it wont connect to the internet.
Disconnect and reconnect makes it work.

Also, IP addresses can always be pinged and P2P clients still work (but
cant renew the tracker)

My modem/router is a Netcomm NB9W

cheers

--
Danneman
Richard Sukovaty

Re: Internet problem with Vista
Thought the same about the router, connected the laptop via Ethernet cable
directly to the cable modem, Internet connection lasted all of 5 minutes
before doing the same thing.

Disconnecting the network (from the system tray icon) and reconnecting
doesn't have an effect for me.

"Danneman" wrote:

> I've had the same problems and I haven't found a solution to it yet. It
> might be the router that doesn't fully support VISTA (even though it
> says so). I have two computers (XP and VISTA). The XP machine connects
> with no problem and has no browsing issues at all.
>
> When the VISTA machine's browsing "hangs". the little network icon in
> the tray still says i'm connected to the WAN, I have tried everything;
> flushing dns, resetting winsock etc, etc (even system restore).
> Everything i've tried just makes it work for a couple of hours the most.
> There seems to be no-one who has any clue.
>
> The only thing that works (and I can live with that) is to disconnect
> from the network (wireless in my case) and reconnect again. This makes
> it work again for a while.
> I think it might be related to leaving the computer idle for a while.
> Almost always when I start my computer it wont connect to the internet.
> Disconnect and reconnect makes it work.
>
> Also, IP addresses can always be pinged and P2P clients still work (but
> cant renew the tracker)
>
> My modem/router is a Netcomm NB9W
>
> cheers
>

> --