XP to Vista file sharing trouble

toreddie

XP to Vista file sharing trouble
This is driving me nuts. I have a small home network of 1 Vista Ultimate (M1)
hard wired to Linksys wireless router (WRT54G) and 3 wireless XP Pros and 1
wireless XP Home. I can ping between all machines. I can move, copy, paste
and save files/folders between all the XP machines. I'm running Windows Live
OneCare on all machines.

In Vista's Network and Sharing Center I have it set up as "Private Network",
Network Discovery is "ON", File Sharing is "ON" and Public Folder Sharing is
"ON". Printer sharing, password protected sharing and media sharing are all
"OFF".

This is what I have done (the folder I’m trying to access is called
“toreddie”, a subfolder under D:\FILES on the desktop, the name of the
computer is TE_desktop):

Properties for D:\FILES: Under the sharing tab it’s set to Sharing, Network
Path is \\TE_desktop\files. When clicking on the “Share…” button two are
listed: Administrators with permission level “Owner” and Everyone with
permission level “Co-owner”.

Under Advanced Sharing button it is checked off for “Share this folder”,
share name is Files.

Under the Security tab, Group or user names have Everyone and Administrators
(TE_desktop\Administrators) are listed. In permissions for Everyone there is
a check mark next to all, except “special permissions”. The same for
Administrators.

Properties for D:\\Files\toreddie: Under the sharing tab it’s set to
Sharing, Network Path is \\TE_desktop\Files\toreddie. When clicking on the
“Share…” button two are listed: Tor-Eddie with permission level “Owner” and
Everyone with permission level “Co-owner”.

Under Advanced Sharing button it is checked off for “Share this folder”,
share name is toreddie.

Under the Security tab, Group or user names have Everyone, Tor-Eddie
(te_desktop\Tor-Eddie), Users (te_desktop\Users) and Administrators
(TE_desktop\Administrators) are listed. In permissions for Everyone there is
a check mark next to all, except “special permissions”. The same for the
other three as well.

The problem is:

I am not able to copy and paste (or move) files and folders from any XP
machine to the Vista machine. I have installed the LLTD on all XP machines.

When attempting to save a (Notepad) file written on an XP machine, and save
it (Save As ..) to the Vista machine (usinge My Network Places), I get the
following message: "file name.txt" Cannot access this file. Check security
privileges over the network drive."

When attempting to Copy and Paste from XP machine to Vista, I get the
following message: "Cannot create or replace "folder name": Access denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and the the file is not
currently in use."

Please help, someone!

Tor-Eddie
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: XP to Vista file sharing trouble
You may want to use icacls to double check the permissions. This how to may help.

How to: check permissions using ...How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command ... I want to share my Vista D drive with the XP Pro and Win2K machines on my network. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=439

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"toreddie" <toreddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C370D9CA-49A6-4E10-BBE2-42E3F10CFA59@microsoft.com...
[...]

Robert,
Thank your for your effort to help, but I have no idea how to use icacls.
Reading the links you provided just made things more confusing. I can't
believe Vista is making this issue so difficult. The evolution of computer
networking shold make it easier for the user and not more difficult, but I
guess leaving it up to Microsoft, nothing surprises any more.

I need some hands on help here.

Tor-Eddie

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> [...]
> (TE_desktop\Administrators) are listed. In permissions for Everyone there is
> a check mark next to all, except “special permissions”. The same for the
> other three as well.
>

> The problem is:
>
> I am not able to copy and paste (or move) files and folders from any XP
> machine to the Vista machine. I have installed the LLTD on all XP machines.
>
> When attempting to save a (Notepad) file written on an XP machine, and save
> it (Save As ..) to the Vista machine (usinge My Network Places), I get the
> following message: "file name.txt" Cannot access this file. Check security
> privileges over the network drive."
>
> When attempting to Copy and Paste from XP machine to Vista, I get the
> following message: "Cannot create or replace "folder name": Access denied.
> Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and the the file is not

Post back with the result of the link giving, for example, icacls \\ipaddress\dsharedname.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"toreddie" <toreddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message newsB28A7EF-F046-4D94-9895-BB72EDEBFF6D@microsoft.com...
> [...]

> (TE_desktop\Administrators) are listed. In permissions for Everyone there is
> a check mark next to all, except “special permissions”. The same for the
> other three as well.
>

> The problem is:
>
> I am not able to copy and paste (or move) files and folders from any XP
> machine to the Vista machine. I have installed the LLTD on all XP machines.
>
> When attempting to save a (Notepad) file written on an XP machine, and save
> it (Save As ..) to the Vista machine (usinge My Network Places), I get the
> following message: "file name.txt" Cannot access this file. Check security
> privileges over the network drive."
>
> When attempting to Copy and Paste from XP machine to Vista, I get the
> following message: "Cannot create or replace "folder name": Access denied.
> Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and the the file is not

toreddie

Re: XP to Vista file sharing trouble
This is the result when I try icacls \\192.168.1.105\d te_desktop:
'icacls' is not recognized as an internal or external comand, operable
program or batch file.

However, I suspect the "d te_desktop" is not correct. The name of the
(Vista) computer I want to access from my XP machine is "te_desktop". The
folder I want to save to is located in the D-partition, and the folder name
is "Outlook".

I'm able to ping both ways between the two computers.