Re: No network - server execution failed

all4fun

Re: No network - server execution failed
I found this fix on another news group and thought I would share as I have
been trying to resolve this issue since March 2007. Since installing Vista
Business on a Dell D620 with Intel Core2 Duo 2GHz with 2GB Ram, I have not
been able to get into Network Sharing Center in any reasonable amount of
time, with Processor going to 100% and sometimes just simply having to end
the task. Also if you look in the notificaiton area, the network icon has a
red X and you get the message server execution failed but connected to local
lan when wired network connection was made (not wireless). In addition,
event viewer reported the error 7023 The Network List Service service
terminated with the following error: Insufficient system resources exist to
complete the requested service. When attempting to start the Network List
Service from services, I got an error. After much searching, and many hours
of shear frustration, I came across a post on a newsgroup. I still can find
no reference to any solution to this issue on Microsoft's web site and am
hoping one of the Microsoft personnel who regularly visit these sites will
get information posted on this for others to find easily. The fix for this
can be done in one of two ways:

Either:

>>Right click "Computer"
>>Click "Manage"
>>Under the "System Tools" section, Double click "Local Users and Groups"
>>Click "Groups"
>>Right click "Administrators"
>>Click "Add to group..."
>>Click "Add"
>>Click "Advanced"
>>Click "Find Now"
>>Double click "Local Service"
>>Click "Ok"
>>"NT Authority\Local Service" should show up in the list now
>>Click "Ok"
>>Close Computer Management and reboot.

Or:

Run the command prompt as administrator
From the command prompt, enter net localgroup Administrators LocalService /add
Verify using net localgroup Administrators

Restart Windows normally.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: No network - server execution failed
Thank you for the tip.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"all4fun" <all4fun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:052CA658-EA3C-47F8-8D21-D439B7B95AB0@microsoft.com...
I found this fix on another news group and thought I would share as I have
been trying to resolve this issue since March 2007. Since installing Vista
Business on a Dell D620 with Intel Core2 Duo 2GHz with 2GB Ram, I have not
been able to get into Network Sharing Center in any reasonable amount of
time, with Processor going to 100% and sometimes just simply having to end
the task. Also if you look in the notificaiton area, the network icon has a
red X and you get the message server execution failed but connected to local
lan when wired network connection was made (not wireless). In addition,
event viewer reported the error 7023 The Network List Service service
terminated with the following error: Insufficient system resources exist to
complete the requested service. When attempting to start the Network List
Service from services, I got an error. After much searching, and many hours
of shear frustration, I came across a post on a newsgroup. I still can find
no reference to any solution to this issue on Microsoft's web site and am
hoping one of the Microsoft personnel who regularly visit these sites will
get information posted on this for others to find easily. The fix for this
can be done in one of two ways:

Either:

>>Right click "Computer"
>>Click "Manage"
>>Under the "System Tools" section, Double click "Local Users and Groups"
>>Click "Groups"
>>Right click "Administrators"
>>Click "Add to group..."
>>Click "Add"
>>Click "Advanced"
>>Click "Find Now"
>>Double click "Local Service"
>>Click "Ok"
>>"NT Authority\Local Service" should show up in the list now
>>Click "Ok"
>>Close Computer Management and reboot.

Or:

Run the command prompt as administrator
From the command prompt, enter net localgroup Administrators LocalService /add
Verify using net localgroup Administrators

Restart Windows normally.

barqqing

Re: No network - server execution failed
I have seen this solution posted elsewhere, but on those sites there are also
unanswered (satisfactorily) questions as to what security implications this
has. This gives full admin rights to local services, yeah?

Can an MVP please advise? What's being done to fix the problem rather than
this workaround? This is quite serious as my external web clients can no
longer access my server.

---------

"all4fun" wrote:

> I found this fix on another news group and thought I would share as I have
> been trying to resolve this issue since March 2007. Since installing Vista
> Business on a Dell D620 with Intel Core2 Duo 2GHz with 2GB Ram, I have not
> been able to get into Network Sharing Center in any reasonable amount of
> time, with Processor going to 100% and sometimes just simply having to end
> the task. Also if you look in the notificaiton area, the network icon has a
> red X and you get the message server execution failed but connected to local
> lan when wired network connection was made (not wireless). In addition,
> event viewer reported the error 7023 The Network List Service service
> terminated with the following error: Insufficient system resources exist to
> complete the requested service. When attempting to start the Network List
> Service from services, I got an error. After much searching, and many hours
> of shear frustration, I came across a post on a newsgroup. I still can find
> no reference to any solution to this issue on Microsoft's web site and am
> hoping one of the Microsoft personnel who regularly visit these sites will
> get information posted on this for others to find easily. The fix for this
> can be done in one of two ways:
>
> Either:
>
> >>Right click "Computer"
> >>Click "Manage"
> >>Under the "System Tools" section, Double click "Local Users and Groups"
> >>Click "Groups"
> >>Right click "Administrators"
> >>Click "Add to group..."
> >>Click "Add"
> >>Click "Advanced"
> >>Click "Find Now"
> >>Double click "Local Service"
> >>Click "Ok"
> >>"NT Authority\Local Service" should show up in the list now
> >>Click "Ok"
> >>Close Computer Management and reboot.

> Or:
>
> Run the command prompt as administrator
> From the command prompt, enter net localgroup Administrators LocalService /add
> Verify using net localgroup Administrators
>
> Restart Windows normally.

barqqing

Re: No network - server execution failed
Now I also note that my memory activity seems weird. In task manager the
amount of free physical memory stays constant regardless of how hard I load
the system (e.g. max load = solidworks with 3d controller and lots of add-in
modules, 2x eve-online clients, apache server, 2 x tomcat servers, PDMWorks
server, outlook, excel, word, media centre playing rid****, etc) or not (all
of this off), the available free memory seems to be < 100MB. I should on
paper have a couple of GB spare when it's all turned off.

I also note that my computer > properties says that RAM is not available,
and I can find no reference to RAM/memory under the Device Manager.

Theory: there is a problem with the memory, or at least the reporting of how
much is available.
Effect: the above, plus the Network list manager tries to see if enough RAM
is available for it to run (does it do this?), doesn't get a satisfactory
reply, and takes it's ball and goes home.

Help? please?

By the way, MS email help says to contact Dell, as the OS was pre-installed
(as are 80+% of new OSes) and Dell says that because it's software to go
elseware.