via LAN is okay, but via VPN is not found.....

Sebastiaan

via LAN is okay, but via VPN is not found.....
Hello,

I have a strange thing accessing my Vista Business.
I can access shares on it and ping it from any machine on the LAN.
But when I try to access the machine from a remote location via VPN (with
XP) I get "The network path was not found." and I also can't ping the
machine.

Is there an option that I have to change for this to work?
I fear that when more people at work start using Vista that they will run
into this as well.

Thank you.

Sebastiaan

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: via LAN is okay, but via VPN is not found.....
Can you ping the Vista from the XP by IP if turn off the firewall on Vista?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Sebastiaan" <usul_atreides@h0tma1l.no.com> wrote in message news:u69kuVV8HHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
Hello,

I have a strange thing accessing my Vista Business.
I can access shares on it and ping it from any machine on the LAN.
But when I try to access the machine from a remote location via VPN (with
XP) I get "The network path was not found." and I also can't ping the
machine.

Is there an option that I have to change for this to work?
I fear that when more people at work start using Vista that they will run
into this as well.

Thank you.

Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan

Re: via LAN is okay, but via VPN is not found.....
I checked and the firewall is off.
I have network discovery on as wel as public sharing on.

Sebastiaan
"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23JaNfZW8HHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
[...]

At a loss now....

The machine (XP, LAN) that I could ping the Vista machine with now also stopped working its pings to it.
Just checked with the only other Vista machine on the LAN present and that one however does ping it and accesses the shares.

Sebastiaan