Vista -XP Networking...HELP!

Ams2b1g

Vista -XP Networking...HELP!
I have a small office network, consisting of 4 XP's and 1 Vista. Before we
got the Vista, all computers were on the same network, sharing files &
printers. Since the Vista, nothing seems to work right. The Vista can "see"
one of the XP's, and the 3 other XP's can only "see" each other... I have
done the LLTN (?) download on all XP's. I have enabled NetBIOS on the Vista.
All machines can "ping" each other so I know they're out there somewhere!!!
I'm just not sure where to go from here. We have two printers that are
connected directly each to a computer, and everyone needs access to each of
them (as well as files).

If it helps we have a hard wired network thru a router (sorry, don't know
what kind) and I have done the Microsoft Router Test and "passed" all the
tests except the UPnP, which I don't believe would be causing any of these
problems.

Thanks in advance!!!!!
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Vista -XP Networking...HELP!
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 13:22:01 -0700, Ams2b1g <Ams2b1g@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have a small office network, consisting of 4 XP's and 1 Vista. Before we
>got the Vista, all computers were on the same network, sharing files &
>printers. Since the Vista, nothing seems to work right. The Vista can "see"
>one of the XP's, and the 3 other XP's can only "see" each other... I have
>done the LLTN (?) download on all XP's. I have enabled NetBIOS on the Vista.
> All machines can "ping" each other so I know they're out there somewhere!!!
>I'm just not sure where to go from here. We have two printers that are
>connected directly each to a computer, and everyone needs access to each of
>them (as well as files).
>
>If it helps we have a hard wired network thru a router (sorry, don't know
>what kind) and I have done the Microsoft Router Test and "passed" all the
>tests except the UPnP, which I don't believe would be causing any of these

>problems.
>
>Thanks in advance!!!!!

If you have all computers able to ping each other, you have the lower level
setup done. But getting higher level networking operational can be a challenge,
and more so with Windows Vista. There are a few gotchas, and not all are
documented by Microsoft in their referential document.

Then there are common Windows Networking problems, which have been with us from
the days of Windows 95 and NT, and gotten more common as computers became more
common.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ghborhood.html

You might want to look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net
config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, and try to
diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow
instructions precisely (download browstat!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.