Concurrent Access Using Different ISPs Is This Possible?

TerryPin

Concurrent Access Using Different ISPs Is This Possible?
OK Folks

Some help please

Scenario: My ISP in the UK has a provided me with a good quality connection 8MB
and a static IP address, though not sure what the uplink is lets say 512k I
currently use WinXP at both locatiobs but would consider an upgrade to Visata if
necessary

I spend a large amount of time on the other side of the world in a country which
does not over actively encourage connections to that outside world

My apartment (in a large tower block) has a good quality internet connection
although many overseas addresses are blocked. I currently can use both Skype and
my WiFi based Internet radio but quality of the connections can often be very
poor even though general access for internet browsing and downloads is OK.

I assume that this is because there is either no QOS on the facilities main
router or it has not been configured i.e. those ports providing VOIP and
streaming media (whichever they are) have not be prioritised. I am unable to
request that this be corrected

To complicate things I access both Skype using a Netgear SPH101 handset and
Internet Radio using an Acoustic Energy AEWF1 via Wifi using my small D-Link
router

As I said general connection rates are good but at times when other users in the
apartment block are up and about and I assume accessing the same systems,
bandwidth falls dramatically with the radio continuously re-buffering and Skype
whilst less affected has connection problems at the same time general internet
browsing and downloading remains OK

The solution to me would be to somehow route Skype and Internet radio traffic
via my UK connection (I currently often connect using the Go2MyPC facility
www.go2mypc.com without problems) whilst maintaining general access for
downloads, email and browser access using the local DSL connection .

Ridiculously complicated I know and probably totally impossible

Or is it………………………

Any comments or suggestions much appreciated

Terry

Phillip Windell

Re: Concurrent Access Using Different ISPs Is This Possible?
"TerryPin" <TerryPin_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> The solution to me would be to somehow route Skype and Internet radio
> traffic
> via my UK connection (I currently often connect using the Go2MyPC facility
> www.go2mypc.com without problems) whilst maintaining general access for
> downloads, email and browser access using the local DSL connection .
>
> Ridiculously complicated I know and probably totally impossible

Routing pathes are determined by the *destination*,..not the Application
being used,...not the protocol being used. So "in theory" if you know the
IP Subnet of the destination (requires knowing the Net ID and Mask, not
simply a Range),...and if the "Gateway" to the particular Destination is
known and does not constantly change,...then,...you can configure Static
Routes on your individual PC to tell it what path to take for specific
Destinations while allowing everything else to default to another
connection.

The command line at a command prompt would look like this on a Windows
system:

Route Add -p [net ID] Mask [net mask] [gateway]

Example:
PC's Interface = 172.16.34.56
Available Routers = 172.16.34.1, 172.16.34.2
PC's DFG = 172.16.34.1

So if you want all traffic to the Network 192.168.4.0 to take a different
router (path) than the normal Default Path (172.16.34.1) you would create
this route:

Route Add -p 192.168.4.0 Mask 255.255.255.0 172.16.34.2

Now all traffic leaving the source subnet will use the router 172.16.34.1
except for all traffic destined for the network 192.168.4.0 which will take
the router 172.16.34.2 instead.

It works the same way even if the PC has more than one interface, such as a
wired nic, a wireless nic, and a dialup adapter which would give it 3.
Dialup Adapters would include things like phone modems, cell phone adapters,
and Virtual VPN Adapters. Since a Gateway is only valid if it is in the
same subnet as the adapter that uses it, the PC will seek out the proper
adapter to use for the correct gateway and route. If the PC has no
interface in the same subnet as the gateway, then the route is invalid and
the destination will be impossible to reach unless the invalid route is
deleted.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com