Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Intel Next-Gen Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN card suitable for 801.1

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2007
tmwgray
 

Posts: n/a
Intel Next-Gen Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN card suitable for 801.1
I bought a new Dell Inspiron 9400 Laptop with Vista Ultimate as the OS at the
beginning of June 2007.
One of the primary considerations in buying it was because it had an in
built Intel Next-Gen Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN card suitable for 801.11
draft n. I also bought a Netgear DG834N Modem/router suitable for 801.11
draft n all labelled up as Vista ready/approved. The 801.11 n protocol is
supposedly capable of providing download speeds of up to five times faster
(270kbps) than the current 801.11g which delivers 54mbps.
My problem is that the new Inspiron 9400 with Vista has never been able to
deliver more than 54mbps.
I checked with Netgear and they made sure I had the latest drivers and
firmware so that was OK.
I then called Dell who then took remote control of my laptop, which was on a
wired connection and after checking there was no problems with the Netgear
modem/router then made sure that the latest Intel drivers/software for the
Next-Gen Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN card were installed. After an hour of
trying they could not resolve the issue of the slower speed. I was told the
problem was referred to the highest level and they would get back to me.
Several days later they did, and took control of my laptop again on a wired
connection and fiddled about for another hour but still could not resolve it.
They needed more time to consult with the other manufacturers and suggested I
might use a PCMCIA laptop adaptor card to see if that worked.
I bought a Network WN511B laptop adaptor card which is the one recommended
to use with the DG834N router only to find that the Inspiron 9400 doesn’t
support PCMCIA but uses Express Cards. By this time I was pretty
annoyed with Dell, however I used the PCMCIA card in my old laptop and
achieved varying speeds of between 130 to 270mbps on my wireless network.
I reported this back to Dell and they once again took control of my new
laptop on a wired connection to see what they could do. During this time I
was monitoring the mbps I was receiving on the old laptop and relaying it to
them. Yet again they failed to resolve the problem and they say I have to
wait for the release of Vista SP1 which should be in the next month.
Has anyone else experienced this problem or know of a solution.

--
Tom Gray
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2007
Barb Bowman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Intel Next-Gen Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN card suitable for 801.1
remember this is DRAFT N and there is no guarantee of compatibility
anywhere. what happens when you set the router to 802.11N only?
how do you measure throughput?


On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 14:06:00 -0700, tmwgray
<tmwgray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I bought a new Dell Inspiron 9400 Laptop with Vista Ultimate as the OS at the
>beginning of June 2007.
>One of the primary considerations in buying it was because it had an in
>built Intel Next-Gen Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN card suitable for 801.11
>draft n. I also bought a Netgear DG834N Modem/router suitable for 801.11
>draft n all labelled up as Vista ready/approved. The 801.11 n protocol is
>supposedly capable of providing download speeds of up to five times faster
>(270kbps) than the current 801.11g which delivers 54mbps.
>My problem is that the new Inspiron 9400 with Vista has never been able to
>deliver more than 54mbps.
>I checked with Netgear and they made sure I had the latest drivers and
>firmware so that was OK.
>I then called Dell who then took remote control of my laptop, which was on a
>wired connection and after checking there was no problems with the Netgear
>modem/router then made sure that the latest Intel drivers/software for the
>Next-Gen Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN card were installed. After an hour of
>trying they could not resolve the issue of the slower speed. I was told the
>problem was referred to the highest level and they would get back to me.
>Several days later they did, and took control of my laptop again on a wired
>connection and fiddled about for another hour but still could not resolve it.
>They needed more time to consult with the other manufacturers and suggested I
>might use a PCMCIA laptop adaptor card to see if that worked.
>I bought a Network WN511B laptop adaptor card which is the one recommended
>to use with the DG834N router only to find that the Inspiron 9400 doesn’t
>support PCMCIA but uses Express Cards. By this time I was pretty
>annoyed with Dell, however I used the PCMCIA card in my old laptop and
>achieved varying speeds of between 130 to 270mbps on my wireless network.
>I reported this back to Dell and they once again took control of my new
>laptop on a wired connection to see what they could do. During this time I
>was monitoring the mbps I was receiving on the old laptop and relaying it to
>them. Yet again they failed to resolve the problem and they say I have to
>wait for the release of Vista SP1 which should be in the next month.
>Has anyone else experienced this problem or know of a solution.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2007
tmwgray
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Intel Next-Gen Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN card suitable for 8
Thanks for the reply.
I should explain that I am not very technically experienced so please bear
with me.
The settings in the router are as set by Netgear technicians.
Wireless = Region is Europe, Channel is AUTO, Mode is Up to 270Mbps
The settings for the Intel Wi-Fi link 4965AGN card are as set by Dell
Technicians.
In Network Sharing Center>View Status> Properties then clicking on the
Configure Tab for the 4965 AGN card then the Advanced tab the following is
shown:
802.11n Channel Width = Auto
802.11n Mode = enabled
Ad Hoc Channel 802.11a = 36
Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b/g = 1
Ad Hoc Default Wireless Mode = 0.802.11b/g
Ad hoc Power Management = Disabled
Ad Hoc QoS Mode = WMM Enabled
Fat Channel Intolerant = Disabled
Mixed Mode Protection = CTS to self Enabled
Roaming Aggressiveness = Option 5. Highest
Throughput Enhancement = Enabled
Transmit Power = Option 5. Highest
Wireless Mode = Option 6. 802.11a/b/g (the other 5 options are a, b, g, b/g
and a/g) No provision for n

I do not know how to measure throughput but on the Vista laptop Network
Sharing Center > view status it shows a speed of 54.0 Mbps the equivalent of
801.11g.
On the older XP laptop if within a few feet of the router it shows the
speed as 270Mbps but varies between 150Mbps to 270Mbps
New Vista laptop has Intel Core 2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00Ghz, 2000Mhz. RAM is 2GB
Old XP laptop has Intel mobile Pentium 4 CPU 2.00GHz. Speed 1.95 GHz. RAM
1.25GB
Accessing identical data files simultaneously with the laptops side by side
the Vista is much quicker.
Accessing identical web pages simultaneously on wireless the XP is
marginally quicker.
On advice from a Netgear forum member I tried the following test.
I transferred a video file of 5.74GB (6,028,390KB) in size from the Vista to
the XP laptop over the wireless network. The advised time to transfer was
given as 43min 55sec. I started the transfer at 11:03 and it ended at 11:48.
The transfer was complete basically within a few seconds of 45mins.
At the start of the transfer (11:03) I noted the speed rate being advised as
282KB/sec. It then started showing speeds of 1.56MB/sec and by 11:09 was
showing 2.01MB/sec. The speed then started to increase up to 2.12MB/sec until
11:20 and from there it went to 2.15MB/sec where it remained until the
transfer was complete.
The transfer time of 2700sec (45min x 60) divided into the file size of
6,028,390KB gives a transfer rate of 2232.73KB/sec.
I used a calculator from web page http://www.speedguide.net/conversion.php
to convert KB storage to Datacomms Mbps it advises 2233KB equates to 18.293
mbps.
Appreciate any views on this.

--
Tom Gray


"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> remember this is DRAFT N and there is no guarantee of compatibility
> anywhere. what happens when you set the router to 802.11N only?
> how do you measure throughput?
>
>
> On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 14:06:00 -0700, tmwgray
> <tmwgray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I bought a new Dell Inspiron 9400 Laptop with Vista Ultimate as the OS at the
> >beginning of June 2007.
> >One of the primary considerations in buying it was because it had an in
> >built Intel Next-Gen Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN card suitable for 801.11
> >draft n. I also bought a Netgear DG834N Modem/router suitable for 801.11
> >draft n all labelled up as Vista ready/approved. The 801.11 n protocol is
> >supposedly capable of providing download speeds of up to five times faster
> >(270kbps) than the current 801.11g which delivers 54mbps.
> >My problem is that the new Inspiron 9400 with Vista has never been able to
> >deliver more than 54mbps.
> >I checked with Netgear and they made sure I had the latest drivers and
> >firmware so that was OK.
> >I then called Dell who then took remote control of my laptop, which was on a
> >wired connection and after checking there was no problems with the Netgear
> >modem/router then made sure that the latest Intel drivers/software for the
> >Next-Gen Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN card were installed. After an hour of
> >trying they could not resolve the issue of the slower speed. I was told the
> >problem was referred to the highest level and they would get back to me.
> >Several days later they did, and took control of my laptop again on a wired
> >connection and fiddled about for another hour but still could not resolve it.
> >They needed more time to consult with the other manufacturers and suggested I
> >might use a PCMCIA laptop adaptor card to see if that worked.
> >I bought a Network WN511B laptop adaptor card which is the one recommended
> >to use with the DG834N router only to find that the Inspiron 9400 doesn’t
> >support PCMCIA but uses Express Cards. By this time I was pretty
> >annoyed with Dell, however I used the PCMCIA card in my old laptop and
> >achieved varying speeds of between 130 to 270mbps on my wireless network.
> >I reported this back to Dell and they once again took control of my new
> >laptop on a wired connection to see what they could do. During this time I
> >was monitoring the mbps I was receiving on the old laptop and relaying it to
> >them. Yet again they failed to resolve the problem and they say I have to
> >wait for the release of Vista SP1 which should be in the next month.
> >Has anyone else experienced this problem or know of a solution.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2007
Barb Bowman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Intel Next-Gen Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN card suitable for 8
the wireless on the Intel almost looks like it is setup for ad hoc
networking as opposed to infrastructure. what does the display show
under wireless properties ?

please ask the netgear techs to help you set up for N only for
testing on the router.

also, what is the info on the driver VERSION in Vista for this Intel
wireless?

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 07:48:00 -0700, tmwgray
<tmwgray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The settings in the router are as set by Netgear technicians.
>Wireless = Region is Europe, Channel is AUTO, Mode is Up to 270Mbps

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2007
Sean Savinell
 

Posts: n/a
Intel 4965AGN Wireless Card NOT going into N mode..
I think the previous poster was refeering to the new 802.11n mode. I have a new HP Pavilion dv9535nr laptop which came with the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN wireless nic card installed.

I upgraded my router to a D-Link DIR 655 router which is a Microsoft Centreno Cert. router. Meaning, it should be compatible with my wireless card.

Well, I've set up everything correctly in my router and in my network card adapter and still cant get the card to recieve N mode. I can stand right next to the router and it won't connect in N mode. I check this via the routers settings page.

The range is better than my old linksys router. I just cant get the card to connect in N mode. I've tried every setting. Current settings:

Router : SSID (Visible) but encrypted with WPA Personal
Set to transmit in N,G only (Recommended by D-link Cust. Support)
Auto set channel
Auto Set best connection speed

Intel wirless nic card:
Enable N mode=yes
N mode Channel width=auto
Ad HOC Channel = 11 (Due to the fact I cannot disable this feature)
Ad Hoc power mgt. = Disable
Ad Hoc QoS = WMM Disable (I've also tried to enable it with no luck, I think it is more of an Ad Hoc function for puters connection through me)
Fat Channel Intolerent = Disable (Have done as much research on this as I can and I believe its to do it Cable TV programming streams)
Mixed Mode Protection = CTS-to-Self = Enabled (????...the help file dosen't work on this adapter either...thanks intel)
Roaming Agressivness = Medium
Throughput Enhancement = Disabled (Yes, I've enabled it before and aucually saw a decrease in performance using it.)
Transmitt Power = High
Wireless Mode = 802.11g (I've tired everything from a,b,g to b,g etc. Unfortunatley there is no n,g setting.)

Now, my router tells me Im logged on it in 11g mode but when I go to a good site...like nVidia for example and download a bit driver I will say...the throughput does go high, Im talkin download speeds of like 8 megs a second then rapidly falls to 1-2 megs a second.

This is an intelligent router that adjust throughput to bandwidth hoggin connections seeing how I have QoS enabled.

If anyone has any suggestions please post...thanks

Sav

EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2007
Barb Bowman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Intel 4965AGN Wireless Card NOT going into N mode..
I use the DIR-655 myself. The Centrino certification is in the 1.03
firmware (not sure about other newer versions). Are you running
1.03? and then there is
http://www.intel.com/support/wireles.../CS-026545.htm

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 10:05:14 -0700, Sean Savinell wrote:

>I think the previous poster was refeering to the new 802.11n mode. I have a new HP Pavilion dv9535nr laptop which came with the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN wireless nic card installed.
>
>I upgraded my router to a D-Link DIR 655 router which is a Microsoft Centreno Cert. router. Meaning, it should be compatible with my wireless card.
>
>Well, I've set up everything correctly in my router and in my network card adapter and still cant get the card to recieve N mode. I can stand right next to the router and it won't connect in N mode. I check this via the routers settings page.
>
>The range is better than my old linksys router. I just cant get the card to connect in N mode. I've tried every setting. Current settings:
>
>Router : SSID (Visible) but encrypted with WPA Personal
> Set to transmit in N,G only (Recommended by D-link Cust. Support)
> Auto set channel
> Auto Set best connection speed
>
>Intel wirless nic card:
> Enable N mode=yes
> N mode Channel width=auto
> Ad HOC Channel = 11 (Due to the fact I cannot disable this feature)
> Ad Hoc power mgt. = Disable
> Ad Hoc QoS = WMM Disable (I've also tried to enable it with no luck, I think it is more of an Ad Hoc function for puters connection through me)
> Fat Channel Intolerent = Disable (Have done as much research on this as I can and I believe its to do it Cable TV programming streams)
> Mixed Mode Protection = CTS-to-Self = Enabled (????...the help file dosen't work on this adapter either...thanks intel)
> Roaming Agressivness = Medium
> Throughput Enhancement = Disabled (Yes, I've enabled it before and aucually saw a decrease in performance using it.)
> Transmitt Power = High
> Wireless Mode = 802.11g (I've tired everything from a,b,g to b,g etc. Unfortunatley there is no n,g setting.)
>
>Now, my router tells me Im logged on it in 11g mode but when I go to a good site...like nVidia for example and download a bit driver I will say...the throughput does go high, Im talkin download speeds of like 8 megs a second then rapidly falls to 1-2 megs a second.
>
> This is an intelligent router that adjust throughput to bandwidth hoggin connections seeing how I have QoS enabled.
>
>If anyone has any suggestions please post...thanks
>
>Sav
>
>EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
>http://www.eggheadcafe.com

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2008
johnejo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Intel Next-Gen Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN card suitable for 801.1

I had the same problem and just found out from Intel's documentation on
it (for administrators) that the WiFi 4965AGN will not go beyond 54mb's
unless the wireless security is set to at least WPA with AES. I made
the change and found my wireless peak at 130mb's compared to the
previous 54mb's I was getting. Since the change I've been connecting
consistantly around 104mb's. Now, if I can find a way to get it to go
higher I will be happier but at least this is improvement. Intel says
it set things up that way to encourage a more secure connection. I
tried to find the document I found it in to copy and paste into this to
show you, but I can't find it quick enough.

I hope that helps.


--
johnejo
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2008
Barb Bowman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Intel Next-Gen Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN card suitable for 801.1
do you have a link to this documentation?

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:16:17 -0500, johnejo
<johnejo.36w1k1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

>
>I had the same problem and just found out from Intel's documentation on
>it (for administrators) that the WiFi 4965AGN will not go beyond 54mb's
>unless the wireless security is set to at least WPA with AES. I made
>the change and found my wireless peak at 130mb's compared to the
>previous 54mb's I was getting. Since the change I've been connecting
>consistantly around 104mb's. Now, if I can find a way to get it to go
>higher I will be happier but at least this is improvement. Intel says
>it set things up that way to encourage a more secure connection. I
>tried to find the document I found it in to copy and paste into this to
>show you, but I can't find it quick enough.
>
>I hope that helps.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2008
johnejo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Intel Next-Gen Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN card suitable for 801.1

I've been looking for it. I had it pulled up on another computer last
night and I'm having a problem locating it now. I'll be back on that
computer tonight and will check my 'history' record to locate the exact
document and will post thereafter.


--
johnejo
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2008
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Intel Next-Gen Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN card suitable for 801.1
Hi
I am not familiar with the Intel document.
However, as far as functional Network's speed goes,
http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"johnejo" <johnejo.36w1k1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:johnejo.36w1k1@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> I had the same problem and just found out from Intel's documentation on
> it (for administrators) that the WiFi 4965AGN will not go beyond 54mb's
> unless the wireless security is set to at least WPA with AES. I made
> the change and found my wireless peak at 130mb's compared to the
> previous 54mb's I was getting. Since the change I've been connecting
> consistantly around 104mb's. Now, if I can find a way to get it to go
> higher I will be happier but at least this is improvement. Intel says
> it set things up that way to encourage a more secure connection. I
> tried to find the document I found it in to copy and paste into this to
> show you, but I can't find it quick enough.
>
> I hope that helps.
>
>
> --
> johnejo


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intel PRo/Wireless 2200bg card =?Utf-8?B?Z21hc3Nvbg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 11 11-21-2007 22:30
D-Link DIR-655, Intel WiFi Link 4965a/g/n, Vista and 802.11n lzdesert microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 07-14-2007 11:33
Forte Media FM 801 Sound card and associated Surround System duncs microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 1 07-02-2007 22:14
Intel Next-Gen CPU Has Memory Controller and GPU Steve General Technology News 0 03-29-2007 14:19
Intel touts security with second-gen VPro PCs Paul Security News 0 03-16-2007 02:17




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:29.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120