Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Cannot print/ connect to network printer

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2007
Ramesh Misra
 

Posts: n/a
Cannot print/ connect to network printer
In the add printer wizard, when trying to add a shared printer by name:
http://192.168.2.1:1631/printers/My_Printer (which is a USB HP printer
connected to a US Robotics router), I get the error message: "Windows
cannot connect to the printer. Make sure that you have typed the name
correctly, and the printer is connected to the network".
Also when I try to add this printer "using a TCP/IP address or hostname",
the printer doesnt work. By the way, using explorer I do connect to
192.168.2.1 which is the address of the US Robotics router.

I am able to use this printer from another Vista PC (which is almost a clone
of my PC). Here the port type in the properties box says "Internet Port".

It almost feels like some firewall issue, but when comparing the Windows
firewall settings between the 2 PCs, there's no difference.
Please help!!

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2007
Chuck [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot print/ connect to network printer
On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 07:28:29 -0700, "Ramesh Misra" <quantm_aracnet@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>In the add printer wizard, when trying to add a shared printer by name:
>http://192.168.2.1:1631/printers/My_Printer (which is a USB HP printer
>connected to a US Robotics router), I get the error message: "Windows
>cannot connect to the printer. Make sure that you have typed the name
>correctly, and the printer is connected to the network".
>Also when I try to add this printer "using a TCP/IP address or hostname",
>the printer doesnt work. By the way, using explorer I do connect to
>192.168.2.1 which is the address of the US Robotics router.
>
>I am able to use this printer from another Vista PC (which is almost a clone
>of my PC). Here the port type in the properties box says "Internet Port".
>
>It almost feels like some firewall issue, but when comparing the Windows
>firewall settings between the 2 PCs, there's no difference.
>Please help!!


Ramesh,

Using a printer that's directly connected to a router has its own challenges.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/05/file-sharing-and-printer-sharing-are.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...aring-are.html

And accessing a printer from a Vista client will add challenges.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/06/network-printing-from-windows-vista.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...ows-vista.html

Did you setup this Vista computer identical to as you setup the other Vista
computer? If not, what differences? Did you use the HP setup wizard?

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2007
Ramesh Misra
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot print/ connect to network printer
Yes, I had heard about the difficulties about Network printing in Vista, so
I was happy on my old PC with Vista. I wish there was a way of "exporting"
just the printer setting from the old PC to the new.

No I did not use the HP printer set up wizard.
On my old Vista PC, when I add a network printer, and provide the address:
http://192.168.2.1:1631/printers/My_Printer the PC just finds it.
On my new Vista PC, when I do the same, it says "Windows cannot connect to
the printer". And this is why it seems like there's some firewall like thing
preventing access to that address.

Thanks for your response. If you have any suggestions, I would be very
grateful!
Thanks!

"Chuck [MVP]" <none@example.net> wrote in message
news:7ektd350lv75uhnk5gs6ictsmmv87cifo2@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 07:28:29 -0700, "Ramesh Misra"
> <quantm_aracnet@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>In the add printer wizard, when trying to add a shared printer by name:
>>http://192.168.2.1:1631/printers/My_Printer (which is a USB HP printer
>>connected to a US Robotics router), I get the error message: "Windows
>>cannot connect to the printer. Make sure that you have typed the name
>>correctly, and the printer is connected to the network".
>>Also when I try to add this printer "using a TCP/IP address or hostname",
>>the printer doesnt work. By the way, using explorer I do connect to
>>192.168.2.1 which is the address of the US Robotics router.
>>
>>I am able to use this printer from another Vista PC (which is almost a
>>clone
>>of my PC). Here the port type in the properties box says "Internet Port".
>>
>>It almost feels like some firewall issue, but when comparing the Windows
>>firewall settings between the 2 PCs, there's no difference.
>>Please help!!

>
> Ramesh,
>
> Using a printer that's directly connected to a router has its own
> challenges.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/05/file-sharing-and-printer-sharing-are.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...aring-are.html
>
> And accessing a printer from a Vista client will add challenges.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/06/network-printing-from-windows-vista.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...ows-vista.html
>
> Did you setup this Vista computer identical to as you setup the other
> Vista
> computer? If not, what differences? Did you use the HP setup wizard?
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2007
Chuck [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot print/ connect to network printer
On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 11:34:12 -0700, "Ramesh Misra" <quantm_aracnet@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" <none@example.net> wrote in message
>news:7ektd350lv75uhnk5gs6ictsmmv87cifo2@4ax.com.. .
>> On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 07:28:29 -0700, "Ramesh Misra"
>> <quantm_aracnet@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>In the add printer wizard, when trying to add a shared printer by name:
>>>http://192.168.2.1:1631/printers/My_Printer (which is a USB HP printer
>>>connected to a US Robotics router), I get the error message: "Windows
>>>cannot connect to the printer. Make sure that you have typed the name
>>>correctly, and the printer is connected to the network".
>>>Also when I try to add this printer "using a TCP/IP address or hostname",
>>>the printer doesnt work. By the way, using explorer I do connect to
>>>192.168.2.1 which is the address of the US Robotics router.
>>>
>>>I am able to use this printer from another Vista PC (which is almost a
>>>clone
>>>of my PC). Here the port type in the properties box says "Internet Port".
>>>
>>>It almost feels like some firewall issue, but when comparing the Windows
>>>firewall settings between the 2 PCs, there's no difference.
>>>Please help!!

>>
>> Ramesh,
>>
>> Using a printer that's directly connected to a router has its own
>> challenges.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/05/file-sharing-and-printer-sharing-are.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...aring-are.html
>>
>> And accessing a printer from a Vista client will add challenges.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/06/network-printing-from-windows-vista.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...ows-vista.html
>>
>> Did you setup this Vista computer identical to as you setup the other
>> Vista
>> computer? If not, what differences? Did you use the HP setup wizard?


>Yes, I had heard about the difficulties about Network printing in Vista, so
>I was happy on my old PC with Vista. I wish there was a way of "exporting"
>just the printer setting from the old PC to the new.
>
>No I did not use the HP printer set up wizard.
>On my old Vista PC, when I add a network printer, and provide the address:
>http://192.168.2.1:1631/printers/My_Printer the PC just finds it.
>On my new Vista PC, when I do the same, it says "Windows cannot connect to
>the printer". And this is why it seems like there's some firewall like thing
>preventing access to that address.
>
>Thanks for your response. If you have any suggestions, I would be very
>grateful!
>Thanks!


So did you try installing it with a redirected local port? Maybe the old
computer had the driver already on it.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/06/network-printing-from-windows-vista.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...ows-vista.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't connect to Network printer - Win98 Wan Asmadi microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 03-22-2009 18:23
Windows Vista cannot connect to the printer. The specified Print m asj microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 2 08-19-2007 05:36
Suddenly Can't Print to Network Printer on Win XP Don S. microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 0 08-17-2007 22:53
Cannot print to network printer on the PC it is installed on Eljayb microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 2 05-22-2007 11:02
Shared Network Printer--Can't Connect =?Utf-8?B?U2hpa3dhbg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 04-09-2007 23:10




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:34.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120