Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

unable to turn on network discovery

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2007
ezduzit94
 

Posts: n/a
unable to turn on network discovery
I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite A215 S4697 with Windows Vista Home
Premium. When I try to turn on Network Discovery (from the Network and
Sharing Center) I get the message:
"This service cannot accept control messages at this time"

When I try to change from PUBLIC to PRIVATE (also from Network and Sharing)
I get the following message:
"Windows could not set the network settings"
"Network name = (my network name)"
"You can try to change this setting later in the Network and Sharing Center"

I have had many other problems so I reformatted and re-installed the
original software. No other software or hardware has been added.

Any help out ther
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-21-2007
unique unused display name
 

Posts: n/a
RE: unable to turn on network discovery
I am also unable to turn on network discovery. I do not get any error
messages or anything. My problem is that network discovery says "custom"
instead of on or off. When I expand to the choices and choose "on" to turn
on Network discovery, it still says custom. Microsoft technical support
couldn't figure out why either. She said she had never seen that problem
before. Any ideas?

"ezduzit94" wrote:

> I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite A215 S4697 with Windows Vista Home
> Premium. When I try to turn on Network Discovery (from the Network and
> Sharing Center) I get the message:
> "This service cannot accept control messages at this time"
>
> When I try to change from PUBLIC to PRIVATE (also from Network and Sharing)
> I get the following message:
> "Windows could not set the network settings"
> "Network name = (my network name)"
> "You can try to change this setting later in the Network and Sharing Center"
>
> I have had many other problems so I reformatted and re-installed the
> original software. No other software or hardware has been added.
>
> Any help out ther

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2007
stevo1
 

Posts: n/a
RE: unable to turn on network discovery
same here i am having the same problem, vista will not change the network
discovery to on , i have tried everything microsoft can offer , but no luck,
if anyone can help please feel free. iam now getting fed up.

"unique unused display name" wrote:

> I am also unable to turn on network discovery. I do not get any error
> messages or anything. My problem is that network discovery says "custom"
> instead of on or off. When I expand to the choices and choose "on" to turn
> on Network discovery, it still says custom. Microsoft technical support
> couldn't figure out why either. She said she had never seen that problem
> before. Any ideas?
>
> "ezduzit94" wrote:
>
> > I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite A215 S4697 with Windows Vista Home
> > Premium. When I try to turn on Network Discovery (from the Network and
> > Sharing Center) I get the message:
> > "This service cannot accept control messages at this time"
> >
> > When I try to change from PUBLIC to PRIVATE (also from Network and Sharing)
> > I get the following message:
> > "Windows could not set the network settings"
> > "Network name = (my network name)"
> > "You can try to change this setting later in the Network and Sharing Center"
> >
> > I have had many other problems so I reformatted and re-installed the
> > original software. No other software or hardware has been added.
> >
> > Any help out ther

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-15-2007
unique unused display name
 

Posts: n/a
Network Discovery "custom" problem solved (for me anyway)
I just wanted to inform others that might be having the same problem with the
network discovery saying "custom" instead of on or off. I turned on two
services in the services.msc: SSDP and Universal plug and play. Then I went
back to the network discovery, clicked on and VIOLA it stayed ON. I hope
this helps

"stevo1" wrote:

> same here i am having the same problem, vista will not change the network
> discovery to on , i have tried everything microsoft can offer , but no luck,
> if anyone can help please feel free. iam now getting fed up.
>
> "unique unused display name" wrote:
>
> > I am also unable to turn on network discovery. I do not get any error
> > messages or anything. My problem is that network discovery says "custom"
> > instead of on or off. When I expand to the choices and choose "on" to turn
> > on Network discovery, it still says custom. Microsoft technical support
> > couldn't figure out why either. She said she had never seen that problem
> > before. Any ideas?
> >
> > "ezduzit94" wrote:
> >
> > > I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite A215 S4697 with Windows Vista Home
> > > Premium. When I try to turn on Network Discovery (from the Network and
> > > Sharing Center) I get the message:
> > > "This service cannot accept control messages at this time"
> > >
> > > When I try to change from PUBLIC to PRIVATE (also from Network and Sharing)
> > > I get the following message:
> > > "Windows could not set the network settings"
> > > "Network name = (my network name)"
> > > "You can try to change this setting later in the Network and Sharing Center"
> > >
> > > I have had many other problems so I reformatted and re-installed the
> > > original software. No other software or hardware has been added.
> > >
> > > Any help out ther

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot turn on Network Discovery =?Utf-8?B?TWlzc3k=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 7 12-06-2009 01:49
Network Discovery Visintini microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 06-14-2007 14:34
Network Discovery Jerry Fortenberry microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 05-23-2007 15:07
Network Discovery =?Utf-8?B?QUI=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 02-25-2007 18:34
Network Discovery will not turn on =?Utf-8?B?TWV0YWwgR2hvc3Q=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 02-03-2007 16:20




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:31.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120