Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

File sharing problems - "your folder could not be shared"

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2008
joseamirandavelez
 

Posts: n/a
Re: File sharing problems - "your folder could not be shared"

Thanks for posting your solution.

That would definitely fix your machine if it was disabled, but it is
enabled on mine. It must be another thing. I can share folders other
than those inside the Users folder or anything related to the Documents
folder. And I can see them from my XP machine (still cant access them,
though I have setup users and everything on both machines...) I tried
changing the location of the Documents folder to c:\Documents and
sharing that but it keeps saying that it could not be shared...

Man this is a mayor bug in Vista. Thanks God its my wife's PC and not
mine! I'm still on XP and planning to stay like that for a long time
since this new toy from M$ is full of bugs that non of the previous
versions had. Even Windows 95!

Thanks again!

bjterp00;558666 Wrote:
> Okay, here's what the fix ended up being:
>
> Despite correct settings in my firewall, network & sharing center,
> etc., the
> actual connection was not setup to have "File & Printer Sharing for
> Microsoft
> Networks" enabled.
>
> So, go to Control Panel => Network & Sharing Center => Manage Network
> Connections
>
> Right-click on the connection you're using (in my case, "Wireless
> Network
> Connection", click on "Properties" and make sure "File & Printer
> Sharing for
> Microsoft Networks" is enabled.
>
> The tech said this should be inheriting its settings from the network
> settings in Control Panel, but something may be inhibiting that from
> happening.
> ...
>



--
joseamirandavelez
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2008
Jeffrey Randow
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Registry fix for Lenovo with Vista
There are several Lenovo Registry patches located on their support
page (at least for the T60 model)...
---
Jeffrey Randow
jeffreycentex@gmail.com
Windows Networking MVP 2001-2006
http://www.networkblog.net

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:01:03 -0800, bjterp00
<bjterp00@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Jordan -
>
>Did you ever get resolution to this issue? If so, could you post the results?
>
>"Jordan C" wrote:
>
>> Hello, I have a Lenovo laptop and am having the exact problem identified above. I have tried all the steps with no luck. I assume the registry correction will also fix my problem. Do you have a copy of the registry correction or more information so I can duplicate the fix? Thanks!
>>
>> EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com
>>

Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2008
bjterp00
 

Posts: n/a
Re: File sharing problems - "your folder could not be shared"
Yes - I have a Lenovo 3000 laptop, on which Vista Home Premium came
pre-installed.

"joseamirandavelez" wrote:

>
> Is your version an OEM version? (No physical CD, just a copy of the CD
> in a partition on your hard drive...?)
>
> bjterp00;558589 Wrote:
> >
> > Sorry -
> >
> > I do not know exactly what was done. However, my problem has
> > recurred...
> >

>
>
> --
> joseamirandavelez
>

Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2008
joseamirandavelez
 

Posts: n/a
Re: File sharing problems - "your folder could not be shared"

I knew it... thanks!

bjterp00;559595 Wrote:
> Yes - I have a Lenovo 3000 laptop, on which Vista Home Premium came
> pre-installed.
>
> "joseamirandavelez" wrote:
> > > >
> > >
> > > Is your version an OEM version? (No physical CD, just a copy of the

> > CD
> > > in a partition on your hard drive...?)
> > >
> > > bjterp00;558589 Wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > joseamirandavelez
> > > > >



--
joseamirandavelez
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2008
JohninLA
 

Posts: n/a
Re: File sharing problems - "your folder could not be shared"

joseamirandavelez;559340 Wrote:
> Thanks for posting your solution.
>
> That would definitely fix your machine if it was disabled, but it is
> enabled on mine. It must be another thing. I can share folders other
> than those inside the Users folder or anything related to the Documents
> folder. And I can see them from my XP machine (still cant access them,
> though I have setup users and everything on both machines...) I tried
> changing the location of the Documents folder to c:\Documents and
> sharing that but it keeps saying that it could not be shared...
>
> Man this is a mayor bug in Vista. Thanks God its my wife's PC and not
> mine! I'm still on XP and planning to stay like that for a long time
> since this new toy from M$ is full of bugs that non of the previous
> versions had. Even Windows 95!
>
> Thanks again!
>
> > bjterp00;558666 Wrote:
> > Okay, here's what the fix ended up being:
> >
> > Despite correct settings in my firewall, network & sharing center,
> > etc., the
> > actual connection was not setup to have "File & Printer Sharing for
> > Microsoft
> > Networks" enabled.
> >
> > So, go to Control Panel => Network & Sharing Center => Manage Network
> > Connections
> >
> > Right-click on the connection you're using (in my case, "Wireless
> > Network
> > Connection", click on "Properties" and make sure "File & Printer
> > Sharing for
> > Microsoft Networks" is enabled.
> >
> > The tech said this should be inheriting its settings from the network
> > settings in Control Panel, but something may be inhibiting that from
> > happening.
> > ...
> > > >


Any further progress on this? This situation is exactly what is
happening to me. I have two computers on my network, mine and my wife's.
They both have Vista Home Premium installed with McAfee Virus and
Firewall protection. Initially, both could see each other no problem.
Recently, she cannot see my shared files, and is getting the "John-PC is
not accessible" error message. I can see those files are shared on my
pc. All the settings suggested here are set correctly. Now, when I try
to share another file on my system, I'm getting errors that "this file
cannot be shared." (I tried this with my Document Folder.) I was able to
share a random folder on my system, but I still can't connect to it from
my wife's computer. I have my Pictures folder shared originally, and
it's showing as shared, but it's not visible to her now.

I am able to connect to my mp3 files through Windows Media Player
though. It can see all the files and play them.

This is driving me crazy as it worked once, and without changing
anything on our systems, that I'm aware of, it just stopped working. I
even disabled my McAfee firewall, and still it wouldn't connect.

Any further suggestions?


--
JohninLA
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2008
69Troubleman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: File sharing problems - "your folder could not be shared"
Same problem here. I've done everything that's been stated in the above
post's.

I have a Dell laptop, hooked up wireless, running Vista Home. A desktop
hardwired running Vista Ult. 64. All permissions have been granted, Windows
Firewall turned off, etc. I can see the other computer, whether I"m on the
laptop or desktop, but when trying to access the others files, I receive the
"Access denied" message.

Is this a bug in Vista?

"JohninLA" wrote:

>
> joseamirandavelez;559340 Wrote:
> > Thanks for posting your solution.
> >
> > That would definitely fix your machine if it was disabled, but it is
> > enabled on mine. It must be another thing. I can share folders other
> > than those inside the Users folder or anything related to the Documents
> > folder. And I can see them from my XP machine (still cant access them,
> > though I have setup users and everything on both machines...) I tried
> > changing the location of the Documents folder to c:\Documents and
> > sharing that but it keeps saying that it could not be shared...
> >
> > Man this is a mayor bug in Vista. Thanks God its my wife's PC and not
> > mine! I'm still on XP and planning to stay like that for a long time
> > since this new toy from M$ is full of bugs that non of the previous
> > versions had. Even Windows 95!
> >
> > Thanks again!
> >
> > > bjterp00;558666 Wrote:
> > > Okay, here's what the fix ended up being:
> > >
> > > Despite correct settings in my firewall, network & sharing center,
> > > etc., the
> > > actual connection was not setup to have "File & Printer Sharing for
> > > Microsoft
> > > Networks" enabled.
> > >
> > > So, go to Control Panel => Network & Sharing Center => Manage Network
> > > Connections
> > >
> > > Right-click on the connection you're using (in my case, "Wireless
> > > Network
> > > Connection", click on "Properties" and make sure "File & Printer
> > > Sharing for
> > > Microsoft Networks" is enabled.
> > >
> > > The tech said this should be inheriting its settings from the network
> > > settings in Control Panel, but something may be inhibiting that from
> > > happening.
> > > ...
> > > > >

>
> Any further progress on this? This situation is exactly what is
> happening to me. I have two computers on my network, mine and my wife's.
> They both have Vista Home Premium installed with McAfee Virus and
> Firewall protection. Initially, both could see each other no problem.
> Recently, she cannot see my shared files, and is getting the "John-PC is
> not accessible" error message. I can see those files are shared on my
> pc. All the settings suggested here are set correctly. Now, when I try
> to share another file on my system, I'm getting errors that "this file
> cannot be shared." (I tried this with my Document Folder.) I was able to
> share a random folder on my system, but I still can't connect to it from
> my wife's computer. I have my Pictures folder shared originally, and
> it's showing as shared, but it's not visible to her now.
>
> I am able to connect to my mp3 files through Windows Media Player
> though. It can see all the files and play them.
>
> This is driving me crazy as it worked once, and without changing
> anything on our systems, that I'm aware of, it just stopped working. I
> even disabled my McAfee firewall, and still it wouldn't connect.
>
> Any further suggestions?
>
>
> --
> JohninLA
>

Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 03-02-2008
243r
 

Posts: n/a
RE: File sharing problems - "your folder could not be shared"
Same problem here with new Lenovo laptop about the same vintage as OP. Tried
reimaging from the HD, no help. Finally got recovery DVDs from Lenovo, that
worked. It has been a gigantic time sink.

"bjterp00" wrote:

> I am having a terrible time trying to share files from my Vista Home Premium
> PC with my wife's PC (same OS). I am able to access her files, but not vice
> versa. After lots of searching and trying, and even call to Microsoft, I am
> still stuck.
>
> Please do not respond to this with a link about how to setup a home network.
>
> If I follow all the instructions exactly, I still get to "Your folder could
> not be shared" when I try to share one of my folders. Even though this
> message comes up, going back to check the folder by right clicking and
> checking the properties, it looks like sharing and permission are both setup
> correctly to share.
>
> However, if I try to access my shared folders from my PC by going to network
> then picking my computers name (BILL-LAPTOP) or if I try to access
> BILL-LAPTOP from my wife's PC, we both get the error:
>
> \\bill-laptop\c_drive is not accessible. You might not have permission to
> use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
> out if you have access permissions. Windows cannot find the network path.
> Verify that the network path is correct and the destination computer is not
> busy or turned off. If Windows still cannot find the network path, contact
> your network administrator
>
> As an FYI, here is the latest email I sent back to my Microsoft support
> agent. For $60, I am hoping they can figure this out.
>
> I still cannot share files from my computer to be shared by other computers
> on my home network. I can, however, access shared files on my wife’s laptop
> with no problem. Both are running Vista Home Premium.
>
> I have take the following steps to “start over” from scratch:
>
> 1. Uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2007
> 2. Rebooted
> 3. Turn off network discovery, file sharing, and password protected sharing
> 4. Rebooted
> 5. Turn on network discovery, file sharing, and password protected sharing
> 6. Rebooted
> 7. Attempted to share various folders, but always get “Your folder could not
> be shared” error message every time, regardless of folder.
> 8. Went in to c: properties, added “everyone” to the permissions, then
> enabled a share called “c_drive” which made the share path
> \\bill-laptop\c_drive
> 9. Still cannot access this share from my wife’s PC, and cannot even access
> it from my PC if I go to Network * bill-laptop * c_drive because I get the
> error message \\bill-laptop\c_drive is not accessible. You might not have
> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this
> server to find out if you have access permissions. Windows cannot find the
> network path. Verify that the network path is correct and the destination
> computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows still cannot find the network
> path, contact your network administrator
> 10. This is the same error message that my wife receives if we try to access
> \\bill-laptop\c_drive from her computer
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2008
mafir
 

Posts: n/a
Re: File sharing problems - "your folder could not be shared"

It may help you as did with mine:
goto network and sharing center--manage network connection--right click
on network you are going to share files through
---properties--install--client--client for Microsoft networks--click add

now it may be fine!?


--
mafir
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 11-23-2010
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1
mike_s is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: File sharing problems - "your folder could not be shared"
If you have errors like..
○ You cannot share folders
○ Receiving an error message when sharing folders "Your Folder Could Not be Shared" in Windows Vista
○ Advance Sharing add button is disabled

Make sure network discovery and printer sharing are on by following these steps:

1.Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, and then clicking Network and Sharing Center.

2.If network discovery is off, click the arrow button to expand the section, click Turn on network discovery, and then click Apply. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.If file sharing is off, click the arrow button to expand the section, click Turn on file sharing, and then click Apply. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4.If Public folder sharing is off and you want to share files by placing them in the Public folder on your computer, click the arrow button to expand the section, click Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can open files or Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can open, change, and create files, and then click Apply. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

5.If printer sharing is off, and you have a printer you want to share, click the arrow button to expand the section, click Turn on printer sharing, and then click Apply. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

6.Finally, share the file or printer by doing one of the following:

Right-click the file or folder you want to share, click Share, click the arrow, select the people you want to share with, and then click Share. For more information, see Share files with someone.

Copy the files or folders you want to share to the Public folder on your computer. To find the Public folder, click the Start button , and then click Documents. In the Navigation pane, under Favorite Links, click Public. For more information, see Sharing files with the Public folder.

To share a printer, see Share a printer.


If you're still having trouble sharing files or a printer on a network, make sure Windows Firewall is not blocking File and Printer Sharing. Here's how:


Enable File and Printer Sharing
1.Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Security, and then clicking Windows Firewall.

2.Click Allow a program through Windows Firewall. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.


3.In the Program or port list, make sure the File and Printer Sharing check box is selected, and then click OK.

If you didn't see any program or port in the list
a. go to Advance Tab
b. make sure the network connection on the list is checked
c. press the Restore Defaults button

this will restore to default.
Check your program and port list again in Exceptions tab to see if there's a list alread and repeat number 3 procedure.

this perfectly solved my problem in sharing folder!
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2010
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 61
Johndoe234 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: File sharing problems - "your folder could not be shared"
The only real way to address this issue, and many others you encounter, it to make sure that you are doing the regular maintenance your computer requires in order for it to continue functioning properly. Regular scans and updates are very effective means of avoiding computer problems.

cloud computing
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Include shared folder/file in "save" file list Bill W microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 08-08-2007 22:49
"not responding" error when right clicking shared folder and netwo Mark microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 5 06-24-2007 19:15
File sharing "any folder" on Vista Vtnt007 microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 2 06-10-2007 20:07
Slow ".exe" calling from a shared program folder in a non-Vista machine fpsoft microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 04-10-2007 15:21
Sharing a folder: "...syntax is incorrect." =?Utf-8?B?TVNQSmVmZg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 02-09-2007 09:19




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:06.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120