Vista lost wireless connection

Chris

Vista lost wireless connection
I bought a toshiba laptop a couple of months ago (previous laptop died). It
came with home premium. I was able to connect to my wireless router without
a problem. It was running fine. A couple of weeks ago, I lost the
connection. I tried everything that I could think of (yes, the button in
front is on, etc.). I found a setting in, I think, security that for some
reason blocked the wireless. I turned it back on and was fine. Now, I lost
my wireless again. The adapter is working (device manager), button is on,
manage wireless network shows the network connection listed. In network and
sharing center, it shows the connection not there; however, when I click on
view full map, it says "The adapter is not connected". I am using the built
in wireless. I can't find that setting again. I don't want to do a factory
restore of the computer to get it back. Does anyone know what is going on
here???? Thanks.
David

Re: Vista lost wireless connection
Chris wrote:
> I bought a toshiba laptop a couple of months ago (previous laptop died). It
> came with home premium. I was able to connect to my wireless router without
> a problem. It was running fine. A couple of weeks ago, I lost the
> connection. I tried everything that I could think of (yes, the button in
> front is on, etc.). I found a setting in, I think, security that for some
> reason blocked the wireless. I turned it back on and was fine. Now, I lost
> my wireless again. The adapter is working (device manager), button is on,
> manage wireless network shows the network connection listed. In network and
> sharing center, it shows the connection not there; however, when I click on
> view full map, it says "The adapter is not connected". I am using the built
> in wireless. I can't find that setting again. I don't want to do a factory
> restore of the computer to get it back. Does anyone know what is going on
> here???? Thanks.

have you tried "diagnose and repair" (right click icon in system tray
and select from shortcut menu)
Chris

Re: Vista lost wireless connection
Been there. Done that. In other words, yes. I have tried everything that I
can think of. I work in IT; however, I am not familiar with Vista yet. I
work in software development and support. Any other ideas????

Chris wrote:
> Been there. Done that. In other words, yes. I have tried everything that I
> can think of. I work in IT; however, I am not familiar with Vista yet. I
> work in software development and support. Any other ideas????
>

> "David" wrote:
>

>> Chris wrote:
>>
>>> I bought a toshiba laptop a couple of months ago (previous laptop died). It
>>> came with home premium. I was able to connect to my wireless router without
>>> a problem. It was running fine. A couple of weeks ago, I lost the
>>> connection. I tried everything that I could think of (yes, the button in
>>> front is on, etc.). I found a setting in, I think, security that for some
>>> reason blocked the wireless. I turned it back on and was fine. Now, I lost
>>> my wireless again. The adapter is working (device manager), button is on,
>>> manage wireless network shows the network connection listed. In network and
>>> sharing center, it shows the connection not there; however, when I click on
>>> view full map, it says "The adapter is not connected". I am using the built
>>> in wireless. I can't find that setting again. I don't want to do a factory
>>> restore of the computer to get it back. Does anyone know what is going on
>>> here???? Thanks.
>>>

>> have you tried "diagnose and repair" (right click icon in system tray
>> and select from shortcut menu)

NO other immediate other ideas other than maybe you should expound on
what security feature you worked with that seemed to have had an impact
on your connection.

Dave
Chris

Re: Vista lost wireless connection
I did a system restore from several days ago and it is now working. I do not
know for how long, though. The problem started after installing a windows
vista update. I do not know which update. We'll see how long it will
last.....

Thanks anyway....

Chris

"David" wrote:

> NO other immediate other ideas other than maybe you should expound on
> what security feature you worked with that seemed to have had an impact
> on your connection.
>
> Dave

Dan K

On Aug 8, 1:42 pm, Chris <Ch...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I bought a toshiba laptop a couple of months ago (previous laptop died). It
> came with home premium. I was able to connect to my wireless router without
> a problem. It was running fine. A couple of weeks ago, I lost the
> connection. I tried everything that I could think of (yes, the button in
> front is on, etc.). I found a setting in, I think, security that for some
> reason blocked the wireless. I turned it back on and was fine. Now, I lost
> my wireless again. The adapter is working (device manager), button is on,
> manage wireless network shows the network connection listed. In network and
> sharing center, it shows the connection not there; however, when I click on
> view full map, it says "The adapter is not connected". I am using the built
> in wireless. I can't find that setting again. I don't want to do a factory
> restore of the computer to get it back. Does anyone know what is going on
> here???? Thanks.

You could try using WIFIStudio... it may allow you to connect, it
bypasses some limitations of vista wireless connecting.

http://wifistudio.100webspace.net/

Dan K

Marc House

Re: Vista lost wireless connection
Are you broacasting your SSID ? I have found with several HP laptops running
Intel wireless cards that on access points that do not have their SSID
broadcast, and have security turned on can not connect.

For troubleshooting try turning security off and broadcast the SSID. If you
are then able to connect, update your WiFi Card driver. You may have to go to
the vendors website to get a new driver if they have not sent the latest to
Microsoft for compatibility testing, or if Microsoft is slow getting it
approved.

Hope that helps.