"Connect a Device"

BlueBrooke

"Connect a Device"
We got a portable media player for my son for Christmas. This is the
first time I've tried to put music on it for him since we got the
computer with Vista.

I managed to get the music ripped to the computer, but when I try to
sync, Media Player 11 just says "Connect a Device" -- but the device
is already connected.

I found the "Easy Start" CD for it, and as I anticipated it says I
need some kind of upgrade and asked if I wanted to to to the website
for downloads and information. I found a lot of information on how to
do the sync after the device is recognized, but nothing on what to do
if it doesn't recognize the device, and no downloads for the "Easy
Start CD."

When I plugged the device in, it went through a lot of steps (finding
drivers and such) and said it was ready to use, and if I do a computer
list, it shows up, along with the other drives and devices.

How do I get the Media Player to recognize it?

TIA

PapaJohn

Re: "Connect a Device"
What is the brand and model of the device?

PapaJohn

<BlueBrooke> wrote in message
> We got a portable media player for my son for Christmas. This is the
> first time I've tried to put music on it for him since we got the
> computer with Vista.
>
> I managed to get the music ripped to the computer, but when I try to
> sync, Media Player 11 just says "Connect a Device" -- but the device
> is already connected.
>
> I found the "Easy Start" CD for it, and as I anticipated it says I
> need some kind of upgrade and asked if I wanted to to to the website
> for downloads and information. I found a lot of information on how to
> do the sync after the device is recognized, but nothing on what to do
> if it doesn't recognize the device, and no downloads for the "Easy
> Start CD."
>
> When I plugged the device in, it went through a lot of steps (finding
> drivers and such) and said it was ready to use, and if I do a computer
> list, it shows up, along with the other drives and devices.
>
> How do I get the Media Player to recognize it?
>
> TIA

BlueBrooke

Re: "Connect a Device"
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 01:39:49 -0400, "PapaJohn" <papajohn@chartermi.net>
wrote:

>What is the brand and model of the device?

And here I thought I thought of everything -- LOL! Sorry!

We bought it at Wal-Mart. All it says is "ilo".

BlueBrooke

Re: "Connect a Device"
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 00:08:11 -0500, BlueBrooke wrote:

>We got a portable media player for my son for Christmas. This is the
>first time I've tried to put music on it for him since we got the
>computer with Vista.
>
>I managed to get the music ripped to the computer, but when I try to
>sync, Media Player 11 just says "Connect a Device" -- but the device
>is already connected.
>
>I found the "Easy Start" CD for it, and as I anticipated it says I
>need some kind of upgrade and asked if I wanted to to to the website
>for downloads and information. I found a lot of information on how to
>do the sync after the device is recognized, but nothing on what to do
>if it doesn't recognize the device, and no downloads for the "Easy
>Start CD."
>
>When I plugged the device in, it went through a lot of steps (finding
>drivers and such) and said it was ready to use, and if I do a computer
>list, it shows up, along with the other drives and devices.
>
>How do I get the Media Player to recognize it?
>
>TIA

I'm still trying to fix this. I have found that I can play music from
the MP3 player, so apparently it is working fine?

I found a post on a forum with a similar problem (i.e., the "connect a
device" error). They said to go to the device manager and delete the
drivers, and then Media Player would recognize it?

I did that and found that the MP3 player is, apparently, listed as a
"storage device." Unfortunately, I also have an external hard drive
connected, and I can't tell which one is which. Also, I'm a little
leery of messing with the drivers, since I don't know what the problem
is.

BlueBrooke

Re: "Connect a Device"
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 03:52:16 -0500, BlueBrooke wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 00:08:11 -0500, BlueBrooke wrote:
>
>>We got a portable media player for my son for Christmas. This is the
>>first time I've tried to put music on it for him since we got the
>>computer with Vista.
>>
>>I managed to get the music ripped to the computer, but when I try to
>>sync, Media Player 11 just says "Connect a Device" -- but the device
>>is already connected.
>>
>>I found the "Easy Start" CD for it, and as I anticipated it says I
>>need some kind of upgrade and asked if I wanted to to to the website
>>for downloads and information. I found a lot of information on how to
>>do the sync after the device is recognized, but nothing on what to do
>>if it doesn't recognize the device, and no downloads for the "Easy
>>Start CD."
>>
>>When I plugged the device in, it went through a lot of steps (finding
>>drivers and such) and said it was ready to use, and if I do a computer
>>list, it shows up, along with the other drives and devices.
>>
>>How do I get the Media Player to recognize it?
>>
>>TIA

>I'm still trying to fix this. I have found that I can play music from
>the MP3 player, so apparently it is working fine?
>
>I found a post on a forum with a similar problem (i.e., the "connect a
>device" error). They said to go to the device manager and delete the
>drivers, and then Media Player would recognize it?
>
>I did that and found that the MP3 player is, apparently, listed as a
>"storage device." Unfortunately, I also have an external hard drive
>connected, and I can't tell which one is which. Also, I'm a little
>leery of messing with the drivers, since I don't know what the problem
>is.

I'm sorry I keep answering my own posts, but I'm finding that a lot of
people are having trouble with this -- and have been for months -- and
the only answer so far is to buy a new MP3 player.

As far as I can tell from the Windows WMP newsgroup -- and I can't
find where that is mirrored on Usenet (if someone can tell me I'll go
over there) -- WMP 11 has doesn't recognize a lot of MP3 players, and
it isn't possible to rollback to WMP 10 with Vista. A few work
arounds have been suggested for copying to the MP3 player, but the
songs won't play on our's if they aren't copies from WMP.

Still looking . . .

(My son is leaving on a trip in a few hours and I really wanted to get
his songs on there for him before he left -- thus, the all-nighter.
Hope y'all are getting a good night's sleep. <g>)