Tagging Vista Media Files

John Hanley

Tagging Vista Media Files
I am unable to add 'tags' to certain kinds of Vista files. Is there a
setting somewhere in Vista where I can declare these types of files
'eligible' for adding tags? I realize from reading Microsoft help files
that certain kinds of files are not taggable and they list .txt, .rtf, .png.

However I would like to be able to tag files that are common when using
Windows Movie Maker: .mswmm, .msdvd, .wmv, .wav, .avi, .vob. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Adam Albright

Re: Tagging Vista Media Files
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 14:19:18 -0500, "John Hanley"
<jphanley@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I am unable to add 'tags' to certain kinds of Vista files. Is there a
>setting somewhere in Vista where I can declare these types of files
>'eligible' for adding tags?

Not as far as I know.

>I realize from reading Microsoft help files
>that certain kinds of files are not taggable and they list .txt, .rtf, .png.
>
>However I would like to be able to tag files that are common when using
>Windows Movie Maker: .mswmm, .msdvd, .wmv, .wav, .avi, .vob. Any thoughts?
>Thanks.

Depends how elaborate you need to be. For example you could use the
free Microsoft Media Encoder to add some basic information to some
file types if you don't mind re-encoding them, not really tags but
info like title, author, copyright,rating and a brief description.

Some shells or viewers like ACDSee will let you add notes, which is
really just a single column.

Since I have so many files I went the database route. Several years
ago I discovered a nifty highly customizable database program geared
towards those working with extensive music or video collections. It
comes with about 100 different fields already configured, but you can
easily add or customize to your needs. It can generate any kind of
report you need and it supports thumbnails or you can just step
through the database a page at a time by clicking a single button. I'd
be lost without out it.

It's called CATVids. They have several variations, to track books,
records, videos, etc.. The advantage of using a system like this is
since it is a database you can sort by any category and track just
about any particulars you want. The only problem is it takes a lot of
time to set up initially. It does not write directly to files though.

John Inzer

John Hanley wrote:
> I am unable to add 'tags' to certain kinds of Vista files. Is there a
> setting somewhere in Vista where I can declare these types of files
> 'eligible' for adding tags? I realize from reading Microsoft help
> files that certain kinds of files are not taggable and they list
> .txt, .rtf, .png.
> However I would like to be able to tag files that are common when
> using Windows Movie Maker: .mswmm, .msdvd, .wmv, .wav, .avi, .vob. Any
> thoughts? Thanks.

===========================
Sorry...but this is a long message.....

Your .mswmm files are Movie Maker project
files and are only compatible with Movie Maker.

The following info lists compatible file types
and discusses the Photo Gallery Database:

Windows Photo Gallery: FAQ

What picture file formats and video file
formats are supported by Photo Gallery?
http://tinyurl.com/2tl5wd

What picture file formats are supported by
Photo Gallery? Photo Gallery will show pictures
with any of these file types:

.. BMP, . JPEG, . JFIF, . TIFF, . PNG, . WDP

If Windows Movie Maker is installed, Photo
Gallery will also play videos in these file types:

.. ASF, . AVI, . MPEG, . WMV

Note: Not all editions of Windows Vista come
with Windows Movie Maker installed.

"The Windows Photo Gallery Database"
By: John Inzer - MS Picture It! MVP

When you're cataloging your image collection
in Vista's Windows Photo Gallery you can add
Tags, Captions, Ratings, etc... to your image
files.

Generally, this metadata is written back to the
original files but in some instances, especially
where certain file types are involved, .bmp, .png,
..gif, .mpeg, etc... it's not possible to write back
to the file itself. That's when the Windows Photo
Gallery database takes over.

This database named "Pictures.pd4" includes
thumbs and metadata and is found at the
following location.

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\
Windows Photo Gallery\Pictures.pd4

The file can also be found with an Advanced
Search for pd4.

Go to...Start / Search / Advanced Search.

Check the box..."Include non-indexed, hidden,
and system files" Enter pd4 in the Name field
and left click the Search button.

If you catalog lots of images, making regular
backup copies of your Pictures.pd4 file would
be an excellent idea.

If corruption develops, or if you simply wish
to move the metadata to another computer all
you have to do is replace the current .pd4 file
with your backup.

It may also be useful to know that any metadata
written only to the .pd4 file can only be accessed
by Windows Photo Gallery.

More info:

Metadata and the Windows
Vista Photo Gallery
http://tinyurl.com/3994ha

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

John Hanley

Re: Tagging Vista Media Files (ping John Inzer)

"John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.xyz> wrote in message
> John Hanley wrote:
>> I am unable to add 'tags' to certain kinds of Vista files. Is there a
>> setting somewhere in Vista where I can declare these types of files
>> 'eligible' for adding tags? I realize from reading Microsoft help
>> files that certain kinds of files are not taggable and they list
>> .txt, .rtf, .png.
>> However I would like to be able to tag files that are common when
>> using Windows Movie Maker: .mswmm, .msdvd, .wmv, .wav, .avi, .vob. Any
>> thoughts? Thanks.

> ===========================
> Sorry...but this is a long message.....
>
> Your .mswmm files are Movie Maker project
> files and are only compatible with Movie Maker.
>
> The following info lists compatible file types
> and discusses the Photo Gallery Database:
>
> Windows Photo Gallery: FAQ
>
> What picture file formats and video file
> formats are supported by Photo Gallery?
> http://tinyurl.com/2tl5wd
>

> What picture file formats are supported by
> Photo Gallery? Photo Gallery will show pictures
> with any of these file types:
>
> . BMP, . JPEG, . JFIF, . TIFF, . PNG, . WDP
>
> If Windows Movie Maker is installed, Photo
> Gallery will also play videos in these file types:
>
> . ASF, . AVI, . MPEG, . WMV
>
> Note: Not all editions of Windows Vista come
> with Windows Movie Maker installed.
>

> "The Windows Photo Gallery Database"
> By: John Inzer - MS Picture It! MVP
>
> When you're cataloging your image collection
> in Vista's Windows Photo Gallery you can add
> Tags, Captions, Ratings, etc... to your image
> files.
>
> Generally, this metadata is written back to the
> original files but in some instances, especially
> where certain file types are involved, .bmp, .png,
> .gif, .mpeg, etc... it's not possible to write back
> to the file itself. That's when the Windows Photo
> Gallery database takes over.
>
> This database named "Pictures.pd4" includes
> thumbs and metadata and is found at the
> following location.
>
> C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\
> Windows Photo Gallery\Pictures.pd4
>
> The file can also be found with an Advanced
> Search for pd4.
>
> Go to...Start / Search / Advanced Search.
>
> Check the box..."Include non-indexed, hidden,
> and system files" Enter pd4 in the Name field
> and left click the Search button.
>
> If you catalog lots of images, making regular
> backup copies of your Pictures.pd4 file would
> be an excellent idea.
>
> If corruption develops, or if you simply wish
> to move the metadata to another computer all
> you have to do is replace the current .pd4 file
> with your backup.
>
> It may also be useful to know that any metadata
> written only to the .pd4 file can only be accessed
> by Windows Photo Gallery.
>
> More info:
>
> Metadata and the Windows
> Vista Photo Gallery
> http://tinyurl.com/3994ha

Thanks for this information John, very helpful. I had not known about the
..pd4 file. Also, the Microsoft "Understanding picture file types" reference
helps me understand some of the where-all of tagging.

So, from all this, I infer:
1. I can add tags to my .avi & .wmv files while viewing the media in
Windows Photo Gallery.
2. I cannot add tags to my .mswmm or .msdvd files in any viewing venue.

John Inzer

John Hanley wrote:
> Thanks for this information John, very helpful. I had not known
> about the .pd4 file. Also, the Microsoft "Understanding picture file
> types" reference helps me understand some of the where-all of tagging.
>
> So, from all this, I infer:
> 1. I can add tags to my .avi & .wmv files while viewing the media in
> Windows Photo Gallery.
> 2. I cannot add tags to my .mswmm or .msdvd files in any viewing
> venue.

=================================
You're welcome.

Your understanding is correct.