How do I Add data files to a video DVD?

EvanBarr

How do I Add data files to a video DVD?
I used Movie Maker to edit my video clips and DVD Maker to burn a test DVD.
Now I want to create a final DVD that also contains a separate directory
with data that will only be seen if I pop the DVD into a computer.

I have looked at various DVD authoring tools and they all treat data and
video as two different types of DVDs. However, you can purchase commercial
DVDs that have extra content for use on a computer.

One would think I could just copy the Video_TS directory to a new DVD along
with my new directory, but I tried that with Nero and it displayed a message
that the resulting DVD would not play in a stand-alone player.

I also noted that DVD Maker does not add an Audio_TS directory. Even though
the directory would be empty, some stand-alone players require it.

So, how do I create a video DVD that also contains a data directory?

--
Evan Barr
www.ProjectInVision.com

Adam Albright

Re: How do I Add data files to a video DVD?
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:41:53 -0700, "EvanBarr" <X@Y.com> wrote:

>I used Movie Maker to edit my video clips and DVD Maker to burn a test DVD.
>Now I want to create a final DVD that also contains a separate directory
>with data that will only be seen if I pop the DVD into a computer.
>
>I have looked at various DVD authoring tools and they all treat data and
>video as two different types of DVDs. However, you can purchase commercial
>DVDs that have extra content for use on a computer.
>
>One would think I could just copy the Video_TS directory to a new DVD along
>with my new directory, but I tried that with Nero and it displayed a message
>that the resulting DVD would not play in a stand-alone player.
>
>I also noted that DVD Maker does not add an Audio_TS directory. Even though
>the directory would be empty, some stand-alone players require it.
>
>So, how do I create a video DVD that also contains a data directory?

I never had a need to do it, so don't want to mislead you. A good
place to ask may be over at VCD help. http://www.vcdhelp.com

I didn't really check, but one open source tool I know quite a few
people use is called DVD Flick. If or not that can help you, don't
know, I know they have a forum.

http://www.dvdflick.net/

Graham Hughes

Re: How do I Add data files to a video DVD?
I've not come across DVD Flick, but you will find the upper end of the DVD
authoring market will allow this.

Ulead DVD Workshop, although now a little outdated, still offers much more
than many apps, and will do this. I use this app.

I believe DVD LAb Pro2 will also do this, but can't be 100% certain.

Look at ehir sites, as you can probably download 30 day trials and get this
job out of the way without buying it. If it's something you do regularly, as
I do, then I'd suggest investing in one or the other, and I'd propably lean
towards DVD lab at this time if it does do the extra folder.

Graham

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:41:53 -0700, "EvanBarr" <X@Y.com> wrote:
>
>>I used Movie Maker to edit my video clips and DVD Maker to burn a test
>>DVD.
>>Now I want to create a final DVD that also contains a separate directory
>>with data that will only be seen if I pop the DVD into a computer.
>>
>>I have looked at various DVD authoring tools and they all treat data and
>>video as two different types of DVDs. However, you can purchase
>>commercial
>>DVDs that have extra content for use on a computer.
>>
>>One would think I could just copy the Video_TS directory to a new DVD
>>along
>>with my new directory, but I tried that with Nero and it displayed a
>>message
>>that the resulting DVD would not play in a stand-alone player.
>>
>>I also noted that DVD Maker does not add an Audio_TS directory. Even
>>though
>>the directory would be empty, some stand-alone players require it.
>>
>>So, how do I create a video DVD that also contains a data directory?

> I never had a need to do it, so don't want to mislead you. A good
> place to ask may be over at VCD help. http://www.vcdhelp.com
>
> I didn't really check, but one open source tool I know quite a few
> people use is called DVD Flick. If or not that can help you, don't
> know, I know they have a forum.
>
> http://www.dvdflick.net/

Adam Albright

Re: How do I Add data files to a video DVD?
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 19:13:27 +0100, "Graham Hughes"
<graham.hughes@dvds2treasure.co.uk> wrote:

>I've not come across DVD Flick, but you will find the upper end of the DVD
>authoring market will allow this.
>
>Ulead DVD Workshop, although now a little outdated, still offers much more
>than many apps, and will do this. I use this app.
>
>I believe DVD LAb Pro2 will also do this, but can't be 100% certain.
>
>Look at ehir sites, as you can probably download 30 day trials and get this
>job out of the way without buying it. If it's something you do regularly, as
>I do, then I'd suggest investing in one or the other, and I'd propably lean
>towards DVD lab at this time if it does do the extra folder.

One issue with DVD Lab is at least in earlier versions I've tried is a
"feature" it had allowing you to go off specs and allow you to do
things "against the rules" which is ok, as long as you limit yourself
to personal use and you've tried burning and playing on your
particular equipment. However, if you distribute DVDs or sell them bad
idea to go off specs since you may be delivering DVDs that can only be
played on some players.

Graham Hughes

Re: How do I Add data files to a video DVD?
That is one of the Pro's and Con's of DVD Lab.

If you are deep into dvd making then you can use DVD Labs to delve into VM
code to make all sorts of dvds, such as the interactive game ones.

I agree if you only want to make dvd-video you need to be careful of what
you do.

Graham

--

Graham Hughes