Photographs not displaying correctly

Pauley

Photographs not displaying correctly
I am having a strange problem viewing photographs that I have taken with my
Canon A540 Power Shot camera. Some of the photo's are all green on the
bottom and some will not only be a different color, but part of the photo may
be shifted to one side. Actually, when I downloaded the photo's, they all
looked good as a thumbnail at first, but when I ran my mouse over some of the
thumbnails, I could see the change.

I made contact with Canon and asked them about this problem. They said, if
I can preview the photographs on the camera, and they appear to be good, then
the problem is else where.

I took the same camera and downloaded the same photographs on another
computer (That computer has WinXP Pro) and all the photographs are fine!
Weird, huh?

The computer that I am using (the one that is giving me problems) is a brand
new computer. A Compaq PresarioSR5152NX and it has Windows Vista Home
Premium (Which I love...other than this problem) All my drivers are up to
date.

Is there something I can do to correct this problem?

Thank you,

Pauley
dean-dean

Re: Photographs not displaying correctly
Try this.

Go to Control Panel (Classic View) > Color Management

Select your display device.

Check the box "Use my setting for this device".

Then Click Add....

Choose "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" (this is the color profile that IE7 uses, for
example, and what you see on XP).

Highlight it under "Profiles associated with this device:", and then
click on Set as Default Profile.

"Pauley" <Pauley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having a strange problem viewing photographs that I have taken with my
> Canon A540 Power Shot camera. Some of the photo's are all green on the
> bottom and some will not only be a different color, but part of the photo
> may
> be shifted to one side. Actually, when I downloaded the photo's, they all
> looked good as a thumbnail at first, but when I ran my mouse over some of
> the
> thumbnails, I could see the change.
>
> I made contact with Canon and asked them about this problem. They said,
> if
> I can preview the photographs on the camera, and they appear to be good,
> then
> the problem is else where.
>
> I took the same camera and downloaded the same photographs on another
> computer (That computer has WinXP Pro) and all the photographs are fine!
> Weird, huh?
>
> The computer that I am using (the one that is giving me problems) is a
> brand
> new computer. A Compaq PresarioSR5152NX and it has Windows Vista Home
> Premium (Which I love...other than this problem) All my drivers are up to
> date.
>
> Is there something I can do to correct this problem?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Pauley

Adam Albright

Re: Photographs not displaying correctly
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:42:05 -0700, Pauley
<Pauley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am having a strange problem viewing photographs that I have taken with my
>Canon A540 Power Shot camera. Some of the photo's are all green on the
>bottom and some will not only be a different color, but part of the photo may
>be shifted to one side. Actually, when I downloaded the photo's, they all
>looked good as a thumbnail at first, but when I ran my mouse over some of the
>thumbnails, I could see the change.
>
>I made contact with Canon and asked them about this problem. They said, if
>I can preview the photographs on the camera, and they appear to be good, then
>the problem is else where.
>
>I took the same camera and downloaded the same photographs on another
>computer (That computer has WinXP Pro) and all the photographs are fine!
>Weird, huh?
>
>The computer that I am using (the one that is giving me problems) is a brand
>new computer. A Compaq PresarioSR5152NX and it has Windows Vista Home
>Premium (Which I love...other than this problem) All my drivers are up to
>date.
>
>Is there something I can do to correct this problem?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Pauley

Your describing various forms of file corruption. If a portion of a
JPEG image is a grass like green that means either part of it is
missing if you downloaded it from some binary newsgroup or it's header
is damaged and Windows or whatever viewer you're using can't properly
decompress the file to open it. Remember all JPEG files are
compressed. This is before you do any compression via the file system,
the file format itself uses compression. So to see the image the first
step is to uncompress it. This is a automatic process beyond you
control. Either it works as it is suppose to or it doesn't.

Based on what you said, ie, the files are fine if viewed on another
system, that suggests something is wrong with your Vista system.

While a royal pain in the butt to do, there is a option. It's called
System Recovery. You can get to it if you have an original Vista DVD.
This is not some recovery disk from Dell or HP or any of the other box
makers, you need an actual Microsoft Vista DVD. If you have that, you
may want to try what's explained on this and similar web pages.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial148.html

What happens is Vista will ATTEMPT to repair itself by scanning all
it's internal files and replacing corrupt ones with fresh ones from
the DVD. It takes time and I don't suggest you do this except as a
last resort.

Before attempting you need to know how and actually change your BIOS
settings so your system can boot from your CD/DVD drive. A simple
process.

Pauley

Re: Photographs not displaying correctly
I tried what you have suggested, and re-downloaded the photos, but I still
have the same problem.

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Try this.
>
> Go to Control Panel (Classic View) > Color Management
>
> Select your display device.
>
> Check the box "Use my setting for this device".
>
> Then Click Add....
>
> Choose "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" (this is the color profile that IE7 uses, for
> example, and what you see on XP).
>
> Highlight it under "Profiles associated with this device:", and then
> click on Set as Default Profile.
>

> "Pauley" <Pauley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having a strange problem viewing photographs that I have taken with my
> > Canon A540 Power Shot camera. Some of the photo's are all green on the
> > bottom and some will not only be a different color, but part of the photo
> > may
> > be shifted to one side. Actually, when I downloaded the photo's, they all
> > looked good as a thumbnail at first, but when I ran my mouse over some of
> > the
> > thumbnails, I could see the change.
> >
> > I made contact with Canon and asked them about this problem. They said,
> > if
> > I can preview the photographs on the camera, and they appear to be good,
> > then
> > the problem is else where.
> >
> > I took the same camera and downloaded the same photographs on another
> > computer (That computer has WinXP Pro) and all the photographs are fine!
> > Weird, huh?
> >
> > The computer that I am using (the one that is giving me problems) is a
> > brand
> > new computer. A Compaq PresarioSR5152NX and it has Windows Vista Home
> > Premium (Which I love...other than this problem) All my drivers are up to
> > date.
> >
> > Is there something I can do to correct this problem?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Pauley

Pauley

Re: Photographs not displaying correctly
If what you say about compression, wouldn't that make "all" the photo's look
bad?
Oh, not that it means much, but the computer with Vista on it is brand
new... maybe a week old.

I certainly do appreciate the reply.

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:42:05 -0700, Pauley
> <Pauley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I am having a strange problem viewing photographs that I have taken with my
> >Canon A540 Power Shot camera. Some of the photo's are all green on the
> >bottom and some will not only be a different color, but part of the photo may
> >be shifted to one side. Actually, when I downloaded the photo's, they all
> >looked good as a thumbnail at first, but when I ran my mouse over some of the
> >thumbnails, I could see the change.
> >
> >I made contact with Canon and asked them about this problem. They said, if
> >I can preview the photographs on the camera, and they appear to be good, then
> >the problem is else where.
> >
> >I took the same camera and downloaded the same photographs on another
> >computer (That computer has WinXP Pro) and all the photographs are fine!
> >Weird, huh?
> >
> >The computer that I am using (the one that is giving me problems) is a brand
> >new computer. A Compaq PresarioSR5152NX and it has Windows Vista Home
> >Premium (Which I love...other than this problem) All my drivers are up to
> >date.
> >
> >Is there something I can do to correct this problem?
> >
> >Thank you,
> >
> >Pauley

> Your describing various forms of file corruption. If a portion of a
> JPEG image is a grass like green that means either part of it is
> missing if you downloaded it from some binary newsgroup or it's header
> is damaged and Windows or whatever viewer you're using can't properly
> decompress the file to open it. Remember all JPEG files are
> compressed. This is before you do any compression via the file system,
> the file format itself uses compression. So to see the image the first
> step is to uncompress it. This is a automatic process beyond you
> control. Either it works as it is suppose to or it doesn't.
>
> Based on what you said, ie, the files are fine if viewed on another
> system, that suggests something is wrong with your Vista system.
>
> While a royal pain in the butt to do, there is a option. It's called
> System Recovery. You can get to it if you have an original Vista DVD.
> This is not some recovery disk from Dell or HP or any of the other box
> makers, you need an actual Microsoft Vista DVD. If you have that, you
> may want to try what's explained on this and similar web pages.
>
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial148.html
>
> What happens is Vista will ATTEMPT to repair itself by scanning all
> it's internal files and replacing corrupt ones with fresh ones from
> the DVD. It takes time and I don't suggest you do this except as a
> last resort.
>
> Before attempting you need to know how and actually change your BIOS
> settings so your system can boot from your CD/DVD drive. A simple
> process.

Adam Albright

Re: Photographs not displaying correctly
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:18:02 -0700, Pauley
<Pauley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>If what you say about compression, wouldn't that make "all" the photo's look
>bad?
>Oh, not that it means much, but the computer with Vista on it is brand
>new... maybe a week old.
>
>I certainly do appreciate the reply.

Part of the problem in trying to help is not seeing what the problem
may be. It would be useful if we can access the files people say are
coming out wrong. That way we can download them and see what happens
on our system. That should at least narrow down the problem to
something wrong with the JPEG files themselves or something wrong on
your system.

If you don't have a web site to upload to, there are many free
services that provide a means for you to upload images. One popular
one is offered by Google called Picsa. Go to their main web site,
click on 'more' then photos to learn how to set up an account. Only
takes a couple minutes and it's a nice feature to use for other
purposes too. :-)

Dave

Re: Photographs not displaying correctly
Did you download the photos, and are viewing them with Windows Photo
Gallery?

Have you tried viewing them with a different program, such as IrfanView, or
Picasa?

"Pauley" <Pauley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having a strange problem viewing photographs that I have taken with my
> Canon A540 Power Shot camera. Some of the photo's are all green on the
> bottom and some will not only be a different color, but part of the photo
> may
> be shifted to one side. Actually, when I downloaded the photo's, they all
> looked good as a thumbnail at first, but when I ran my mouse over some of
> the
> thumbnails, I could see the change.
>
> I made contact with Canon and asked them about this problem. They said,
> if
> I can preview the photographs on the camera, and they appear to be good,
> then
> the problem is else where.
>
> I took the same camera and downloaded the same photographs on another
> computer (That computer has WinXP Pro) and all the photographs are fine!
> Weird, huh?
>
> The computer that I am using (the one that is giving me problems) is a
> brand
> new computer. A Compaq PresarioSR5152NX and it has Windows Vista Home
> Premium (Which I love...other than this problem) All my drivers are up to
> date.
>
> Is there something I can do to correct this problem?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Pauley

dean-dean

Re: Photographs not displaying correctly
When you are looking at your pictures, what program are you viewing them in,
for example, a program that came with your camera, or Windows Photo Gallery?
If you right-click the photo file, and choose Open With, how do they look in
Internet Explorer? (You can do this without making IE the default program).

>I tried what you have suggested, and re-downloaded the photos, but I still
> have the same problem.
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> Try this.
>>
>> Go to Control Panel (Classic View) > Color Management
>>
>> Select your display device.
>>
>> Check the box "Use my setting for this device".
>>
>> Then Click Add....
>>
>> Choose "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" (this is the color profile that IE7 uses,
>> for
>> example, and what you see on XP).
>>
>> Highlight it under "Profiles associated with this device:", and then
>> click on Set as Default Profile.
>>

>> "Pauley" <Pauley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am having a strange problem viewing photographs that I have taken with
>> >my
>> > Canon A540 Power Shot camera. Some of the photo's are all green on the
>> > bottom and some will not only be a different color, but part of the
>> > photo
>> > may
>> > be shifted to one side. Actually, when I downloaded the photo's, they
>> > all
>> > looked good as a thumbnail at first, but when I ran my mouse over some
>> > of
>> > the
>> > thumbnails, I could see the change.
>> >
>> > I made contact with Canon and asked them about this problem. They
>> > said,
>> > if
>> > I can preview the photographs on the camera, and they appear to be
>> > good,
>> > then
>> > the problem is else where.
>> >
>> > I took the same camera and downloaded the same photographs on another
>> > computer (That computer has WinXP Pro) and all the photographs are
>> > fine!
>> > Weird, huh?
>> >
>> > The computer that I am using (the one that is giving me problems) is a
>> > brand
>> > new computer. A Compaq PresarioSR5152NX and it has Windows Vista Home
>> > Premium (Which I love...other than this problem) All my drivers are up
>> > date.
>> >
>> > Is there something I can do to correct this problem?
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> >
>> > Pauley

Pauley

Re: Photographs not displaying correctly
I am viewing the photos in Zoom Browser (software from Canon) and Windows
Picture Viewer.

Here are some of the photo's that may better explain what is happening....

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=IMG_0308.jpg

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=IMG_0300.jpg

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=IMG_0313.jpg

Really a strange problem. The computer I'm using is new and the camera was
received as a Christmas gift.

"Dave" wrote:

> Did you download the photos, and are viewing them with Windows Photo
> Gallery?
>
> Have you tried viewing them with a different program, such as IrfanView, or
> Picasa?
>

> "Pauley" <Pauley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having a strange problem viewing photographs that I have taken with my
> > Canon A540 Power Shot camera. Some of the photo's are all green on the
> > bottom and some will not only be a different color, but part of the photo
> > may
> > be shifted to one side. Actually, when I downloaded the photo's, they all
> > looked good as a thumbnail at first, but when I ran my mouse over some of
> > the
> > thumbnails, I could see the change.
> >
> > I made contact with Canon and asked them about this problem. They said,
> > if
> > I can preview the photographs on the camera, and they appear to be good,
> > then
> > the problem is else where.
> >
> > I took the same camera and downloaded the same photographs on another
> > computer (That computer has WinXP Pro) and all the photographs are fine!
> > Weird, huh?
> >
> > The computer that I am using (the one that is giving me problems) is a
> > brand
> > new computer. A Compaq PresarioSR5152NX and it has Windows Vista Home
> > Premium (Which I love...other than this problem) All my drivers are up to
> > date.
> >
> > Is there something I can do to correct this problem?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Pauley

John Inzer

Pauley wrote:
> I am having a strange problem viewing photographs that I have taken
> with my Canon A540 Power Shot camera. Some of the photo's are all
> green on the bottom and some will not only be a different color, but
> part of the photo may be shifted to one side. Actually, when I
> downloaded the photo's, they all looked good as a thumbnail at first,
> but when I ran my mouse over some of the thumbnails, I could see the
> change.
>
> I made contact with Canon and asked them about this problem. They
> said, if I can preview the photographs on the camera, and they appear
> to be good, then the problem is else where.
>
> I took the same camera and downloaded the same photographs on another
> computer (That computer has WinXP Pro) and all the photographs are
> fine! Weird, huh?
>
> The computer that I am using (the one that is giving me problems) is
> a brand new computer. A Compaq PresarioSR5152NX and it has Windows
> Vista Home Premium (Which I love...other than this problem) All my
> drivers are up to date.
>
> Is there something I can do to correct this problem?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Pauley

==================================
I found a site on the net that says your
computer has the following Video Adapter:
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE

The images look corrupted but since you
say they are fine when viewed on a different
computer I'm wondering if installing an updated
video driver might help. Is the one at the following
site newer than the one you are currently
running?

ForceWare Release 162
Version: 162.22 WHQL
Release Date: July 26, 2007
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_162.22.html

If you decide to install this driver...be sure
to follow the hints on the following site:

Driver Installation Hints
http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_...ion_hints.html

Good luck.

--