downloading video,panasonic camcorder model PV-GS19, not compat -v

viki

downloading video,panasonic camcorder model PV-GS19, not compat -v
Have instructions from panasonic and they suggested I find info from
microsoft on how to get video from this camera's little tapes onto pc using
vista. They are not going any farther with it themselves. They said Vista has
been made to NOT be compatible with 16 bit.

Does that mean my best option is to uninstall Vista and buy xp, or 2000 or me?

I have precious video of only grandson to get on dvd. Looking for the least
costly method to use my new pc to do so.

Thank you for your assisstance!
--
viki
Graham Hughes

Re: downloading video,panasonic camcorder model PV-GS19, not compat -v
OK, not much to go on here, so lets start with:

By 16 bit, did they mean 16 bit audio? A bit odd if they did, as I record
with nothing else and had no problems.

Tell us what your problem is, what happens when you connect your cam.

How do you connect your cam? Firewire or USB?

Do you get any error messages?

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"viki" <viki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have instructions from panasonic and they suggested I find info from
> microsoft on how to get video from this camera's little tapes onto pc
> using
> vista. They are not going any farther with it themselves. They said Vista
> has
> been made to NOT be compatible with 16 bit.
>
> Does that mean my best option is to uninstall Vista and buy xp, or 2000 or
> me?
>
> I have precious video of only grandson to get on dvd. Looking for the
> least
> costly method to use my new pc to do so.
>
> Thank you for your assisstance!
> --
> viki

viki

Re: downloading video,panasonic camcorder model PV-GS19, not compa
Panasonic digital video camcorder, model PV-GS19. On the box it was
purchased in it has all previous programs to Vista listed for system
requirements from windows 98 to Windows xp home ed/professional. It came with
pc connection cable only. I bought my basic pc with vista installed in March.
Have not hooked it up as I was afraid to harm something. Wanted to ge
microsoft to say what would be the best way to go.
Panasonic email says " in regards to this new version of Windows Vista, it
was designed so that applications written in 16 bit would not be useable at
all. Unfortuantely the software we provided is 16 bit due to its limited use
of graphics. However there is a way around this built into the windows vista
os. After installing the software, do not try to just run the application.
Instead find the .exe file used to start the application and right click on
it. Now choose properties and click on the compatibility tab. here you can
choose to run the application using a previous bild of window and this will
allow you to use the provided software. Please keep in mind though that this
is a microsoft work around from their online knowledge base. Windows vista
was designed so that applications written in 16 bit would no be usable at
all. We are currently looking into workarounds but for the time being this
softeware is not natively compatible.

However, if you want to transfer video to and from your pc, you need a 4-pin
to 6-pin i. Link cable (also known as IEEE1394 or Firewire), video software
and an i.Link card/board installed in your computer. There are many vendors
who include the 3 elements mentioned above into a comprehensive package,
which is advantagious becaused all 3 components of the pacakage are
compatible with each other.
Windows xp is usually preinstalled with a video editing software called
windows movie maker. this is a basic video editing software program that you
can use with this camera. If it is not already on your computer it can be
downloaded from www.microsoft.com.

The following sofware info lists various other brands of sofware taken from
professional reviews. We recommend that you further research software
options, as what you choose should be based on what you are looking to do
with your camera/computer."
--
viki

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> OK, not much to go on here, so lets start with:
>
> By 16 bit, did they mean 16 bit audio? A bit odd if they did, as I record
> with nothing else and had no problems.
>
> Tell us what your problem is, what happens when you connect your cam.
>
> How do you connect your cam? Firewire or USB?
>
> Do you get any error messages?
>

> --
>
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.com
>

> "viki" <viki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Have instructions from panasonic and they suggested I find info from
> > microsoft on how to get video from this camera's little tapes onto pc
> > using
> > vista. They are not going any farther with it themselves. They said Vista
> > has
> > been made to NOT be compatible with 16 bit.
> >
> > Does that mean my best option is to uninstall Vista and buy xp, or 2000 or
> > me?
> >
> > I have precious video of only grandson to get on dvd. Looking for the
> > least
> > costly method to use my new pc to do so.
> >
> > Thank you for your assisstance!
> > --
> > viki

Graham Hughes

Re: downloading video,panasonic camcorder model PV-GS19, not compa
16 bit software, that's old.
You should have no problems, but I'd suggest.
Don't install their software.
Get a firewire card if your pc doesn't have one - you check by following the
advice given here under "The pc"
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Probl...notCapture.htm

Cards are very cheap these days, here in the UK about £15 [$30] including a
cable.

Then you use Movie Maker.